Which Vector Graphics Program is recommended

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I had my first lesson from Arnaud last night. Until then I never used or could use any drawing program. I don't know PS nothing.

In less than an hour I can know make perfect scrolls manipulate them reverse them and configure them to different spiral forms as well as pull and stretch them to become oval or whatever I want. He has a system that's easy to understand and he uses short cuts that make it much faster. It's like driving a stick shift , Manual , for my European friends. You just begin to know the keys to push for short cuts that make it fast and easy without having to keep going to the tools etc.. to change things.

I think that the problem here is that many are not understanding what Arnaud is saying. What he is trying to say is being lost in translation. He is not advocating putting down your pencil. It seems that from what I read here that those who are computer literate. Me not being one of them Have already spent several years practicing and drawing and it's no problem. I teach beginners every day and believe me they have a very difficult time drawing. , as did I when I started. It took me at least four years before my designs started to look pleasing and look right.

The problem saying that a pencil is easier and faster is that for some it is for others no way. The other thing is that It doesn't matter what program super computer or anything else you have you still need to understand how nto draw and design the scrolls. No one that I know of disagrees with that.

Again what I don't understand id why so much resistance. Andrew when you drew the logo for FEGA did you do that all with colored pencils or paint? or did you start with a sketch and finish with the computer?

Phil, You use PS Why because it's faster. I bet that wasn't true when you first started using it. You could use images on acetate in several sizes and layer them and move them around the same as you do in PS . Why don't you probably because it's easier to do and faster and the result is better in PS.

I think that a poll to find out whether people would be more interested i n learning the computer drawing would be good. I think you need both Arnaud thinks you need both. I bet that not that many lay out lettering by hand anymore.

Why are most engravers today using power assist because it's faster to learn and the results are better. But there are those out there that that's not true for Philippe Griffne for example engraves so fast and so well that a power assist would slow him down,m but it took him 20 years to achieve that level.

Today people are starting to learn engraving at 40 ,50, even 60 years of age and don't have or want to spend the next four or five years learning to only draw by hand.

This is and will be a never ending discussion. It's the same as the chain saw vs. the Hand saw. The horse vs. the tractor. etc...

I hear people say every day I would like to learn to do that engraving but I can't draw. I say you can and must if you want to. SO again drawing is not out never will be. but combine that with technology that is available today and the results will speak for themselves and already have.

Thanks

Ed Davet

Christian,
Bravo!!
I have been playing with Photoshop and AI for a couple of years.
Frustrating.
Would love to see Arnaud's lessons on AI for sale on your website.
As someone has said I only need about 10% of AI - Arnaud's 10%.
All local classes are extensive and time consuming as well as expensive.
Make some DVD's for us!
Ed

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have added two video blogs on Chris website about “Printing a design for transferâ€￾.
It shows one advantage tracing pencil designs using vector software for printing a transferable detailed design.

And later I will show you in another video blog that it takes only 1 minute to learn how to trace a design in Illustrator ready for transfer. A kid can do it and even a monkey can learn it in one minute.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Christian,
Bravo!!
I have been playing with Photoshop and AI for a couple of years.
Frustrating.
Would love to see Arnaud's lessons on AI for sale on your website.
As someone has said I only need about 10% of AI - Arnaud's 10%.
All local classes are extensive and time consuming as well as expensive.
Make some DVD's for us!
Ed

Ed, thank you for your interests on learning. Yes I will do classes on vector design over the Internet.

arnaud

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not knocking these programs, they do a good job with what they do and they have their place.

Phil

Chris, I agree with what you're saying as I said above.

Ed,
There's no need to be frustrated with PS anymore, take a look at the tutorials there's two by me and at least one from Sam! But don't expect it to draw scrolls for you...although it is possible.

Phil

Last edited:

Ed Davet

Arnaud,
I thank you!
I know there is a little light at the end of the tunnel for this monkey.
I would love to see Christian (or you) make of DVD of the instructions you gave Christian - giving us direction on the specigic features of AI that you use.
ie. vector paths, weight, miter limits, caps, ect., ect. ect.

In fact, before it was said that all we need is about 10% of AI, when in fact it is probably closer to 2%. Just of matter of figuring out which 2%:beat up:

Mr. Coogan,
I dearly loved your tutorials on PS. - In fact I printed them out for reference.
They have been VERY helpfull and for that I sincerely thank you!
I love photoshop and use it quite often, for the game scenes, ect. it is terrific. I am currently trying to copy a very early half-tone version of the rampant colt that was produced on a stock certificate. When I trace the lines in photoshop and then reduce them, I loose all minutiae.
I would like to transfer this design to AI and convert it to a vector format in order to maintain that minutiae when the image is reduced.
I greatly appreciate your willingness to share with us your exalted talent.
Ed

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Being a jeweler I might have a little bit of a different perspective. I look. At profitability and salable value. It would be great if I could work on just one item for a month and make a living from one item alone. But alas in my world its about turning work over by the hour.

That said I fully support any technology that gives me the ability to spend time with my family rather than working.

Four years ago I carved every wax model or hand fabricated every piece I made. Stress levels were pretty high and the work I could do in a week was fairly limited. Then I bought a cad/cam system. I now do 2-3x's the amount of custom work in a week and have the ability to do more if need be. It's been life changing and now o can't imagine not having it.

Its great to be able to draw but I think an engraver can make a pretty good living never picking up a pencil. Heck my grandfather was an engraver for Samuel Kirk and sons in Baltimore. Most of the "production " work was done using master patterns that were transferred to the piece using wax. These guys were good. And what they were doing with transfer wax isn't much different than using a vector editing software to layout the work.

Ultimately its still a person with two hands doing the cutting.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forgot to mention for vectors I've used xara, corel, artcam, rhino. The later of the two are 3d modelers so they probably far more expensive and not really what you need or want. I use artcam mostly as its just the software I use everyday for other tasks.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forgot to mention for vectors I've used xara, corel, artcam, rhino. The later of the two are 3d modelers so they probably far more expensive and not really what you need or want. I use artcam mostly as its just the software I use everyday for other tasks.

I know about Artcam, it draws vectors flat both profile and shape. It is Delcam software.
I use their Powershape software to draw in 3D.

The difference between both is drawing in 3D (Powershape) and flats (Artcam & Jewelsmith)

All nice software nut on need some classes to get started. Same for the Rhino Software

PS Powershape can be downloaded for free

This design I draw with PowerShape, even the stone

arnaud

Last edited:

ErichM

The sketch program's price is definitely good. I'm looking at the trial version and at least it does have the spiral tool that VectorDesigner seemed to lack.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the Illustrator monkey tool

I have made a new Video Blog on Chris engraversstudio website about tracing pencil design with Illustrator.
It shows how easy it is to trace a pencil design at real size with a 0,05mm Vector curve ready for printing and transfer.
You only need 10 seconds of my teaching to be able to do that.
And it is so easy that a kid can do that and even a monkey.
That is why I call this “the monkey toolâ€￾ :big grin:

arnaud

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know about Artcam, it draws vectors flat both profile and shape. It is Delcam software.
I use their Powershape software to draw in 3D.

The difference between both is drawing in 3D (Powershape) and flats (Artcam & Jewelsmith)

All nice software nut on need some classes to get started. Same for the Rhino Software

PS Powershape can be downloaded for free

This design I draw with PowerShape, even the stone

arnaud

Nice work with PowerShape. I'm not very familiar with that particular application Delcam makes. From my understanding its an application made more for people requiring "technical" type drawing for industrial purposes. Personally I use the Artcam/Jewelsmith version and Rhino/Matrix as it has jewelery specific tools.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
As a real newbie, I find the attitude toward technology befuddling. Pros and Cons that support either side do not make it any easier for someone who is looking at engraving in the long run.

Right now, I am slowly getting the hang of drawing scrolls that I think look decent. But I have a long way to go.

What I really care about is producing an engraved item (gun, knife, et al) that my customer gladly votes for with his money. I believe he could (should) care less about how I got his purchased image so nice and perfect.

I am slowly getting semi-proficient in drawing scrolls on the computer.

Here's what I like:
1 - the ability to create on the fly
2 - the ability to make corrections without wearing out the paper or have smudges everywhere
3 - being able to create layers that I can easily move, resize, and turn on and off with a click
4 - having a function that I can add, modify or delete (hide) layers for inlays
5 - easily repeat scrolls or scroll groups that I can reuse as part of 'my style' (what I see almost all of the folks use in the pencil-drawn 'styles')
6 - finding and modifying work that I think was some of my better work and making it even better without destroying the original
7 - having a medium that I can use to go straight to my printer for a perfect transfer

Arnaud, thank you for taking the lead in this discussion and everyone in sharing their thoughts.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bunic

I don't think anyone is disputing using modern technology as an aid with their design work. For making transfers and a whole host of other things they are great. Not necessary, but still useful all the same. A lot of engravers use the computer and equally a lot don't. It's just horses for courses.

Drawing with a pencil is a transferable skill. In other words it is something you can bring to the work bench. It also allows a free flow of ideas without the hindrance of mechanically having to manipulate a line. (left click, right click, menu, shortcut etc.etc)..all of which becomes second nature the more you use it. The pencil also lets you develop the "eye" for design the more you use it.

It's been my experience that the computer can be a hindrance as much as a help and stunt peoples growth. Especially in the area of their imagination. Basically they dumb themselves down to their own level of skill with a graphics program on a computer. And I haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise.

My best advise to any beginner getting into engraving is still keep the computer work as an aid to do basic functions and learn to design with a pencil. You will learn far more than you will manipulating a graphics program and you will expand your skill base far more and become a better engraver for it.

But hey, that is only my personal opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree :)

Cheers
Andrew

PS With all of my comments I'm talking about scroll/leaf design as it pertains to hand engraving. Not other areas of computer graphics because that is a huge area.

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Mike, You've touched upon something that is very true. As a full time engraver (which makes all the difference because bench time is money), I have never had a customer ask me how I design or layout my work. However there's a challenge is in showing the artwork to a client if it is requested. When they see computer graphics, the perception of original "hand" drawn art or hand engraved is lost. When they see a pencil drawing, the only limiting factor is the detail as a pencil can never be as sharp as a graver.

As your proficiency with a graver progresses , the accuracy that a vector program provides you becomes moot. Your ability to make adjustments on-the-fly as you cut will essentially render a "paint by number" computer program inefficient and time consuming in the long run. You will see how important time becomes as you eventually shift to full time .... you have already seen it at Ron's shop.

There will be a time when you look back at these times when design seemed so difficult and all these programs and time spent with paper were so necessary. It is really all part of the natural progression where the ultimate goal is to be so comfortable with your scroll style, that you can scribe it right on the metal and cut. It takes years of engraving 8 hours per day and it is a combination of drawing becoming second nature driven by the necessity to save time. I still always draw complex designs on paper first however I am finding I need less and less accuracy as I become more familiar with the design that is going onto the steel. Over time, things that seemed so complex literally become simple. Slowly the crutch gets tossed away.

Hope you are well, Ron's last engraved knife for Joe Kious sold at the Boston Show.

Chris

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bunic, thank you telling your point of view.
Your -7 points that tell why you like vectors is quite similar to mine.

An other one -8, I like is that by giving your designs real names, you don’t have to search long to find all your designs for a particular purpose. As it is just need one click on the computer to find a particular design.

arnaud