Transfer solution for inkjets by Cirelli

gert@inemoni.be

Thanks Mike!

This works too:

Printer: HP5610 nr56 cartridge
Canson color inkjet Transparency Film 10-pack(www.canson.com) price: 7.5€ (easy available in Belgium and cheaper then Epson)
Dammar picture varnish from Pébéo (www.pebeo.com) 75ml/2.54 fl oz price: 6€ (from schleiper.com)
Methanol (for cleaning cristral and chrome) 1 L: 1.5€

Print settings: Only black cartridge, best quality

Mix 20% Damar varnish 80% Methanol

You need to apply the print within 1 hour, I tried to apply it the next day, but then the transfer didn't work good enough. It still transferred but not completely.

Good luck!

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike
Thanks for this thread. I am just getting into engraving to the point i want to start trying to transfer a pattern. I decided to try your method and at first I am having trouble getting it to work. But after reading all the comments by the others that have tried your method I think I have figured out what to do. I am using an HP laser jet, 3M transparancy sht's and the zippo fluid. My problem has been that the ink seem to just desolve and not transfer. Maybe I have to much liter fluid so I will scale back on that and I will make sure my printer settings are to black. I have tried both sides of the sheet and the smooth side seems to be the most promissing. I will try again tonight and let you know how it works.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried the dammar/varnish on parchment with my inkjet. It was very faint, but transfered completely. I tried different settings to get more ink on the paper to no avail.

It finally occurred to me that the problem may not be with the ink or printer, but rather the resolution at which the drawing was saved and whether the image was compressed or not. I save almost all of my pictures at 150 dpi or less because I either email them or publish them on my website. Hi-res only causes excessively large files which causes people on a dial-up connection to have to wait minutes/hours for images to download. They won't hang around your website very long if that happens.

However, when printing a photo quality image, one wants the highest dpi that your printer will print. Higher dpi equals more ink. More ink equals a better transfer. I think this is what is happening to those who are having problems getting good transfers. Make sense?

Dave

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I scaled back on the lighter fluid and let it dry before trying the transfer. This worked much better, I also took out the color cartrige which helped get a darker image.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Bama,
I use the same printer and ink cartridge as you ond get good transfers.
Just open your printers "Preferences" > color> grey scale> black ink only.
No need to remove the color cartridge.
Hope this helps, John B.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Cirelli, in the second picture you posted there is this whitish film smeared in all directions, is this how your solution looks? That would be great as its kinda milky and will dull the reflection of the polished metal under it.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have used 80-20% mix and the HP 1000 and printed on baking parchment and it works fine. Remember to take out the color cartridge. Sometimes I forget and I get a very weak image. It's interesting how things seem to come around after a while. I think these ideas have been posted before.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't delved into the transferring method, as described by so many, but when my HP L7680 gets fired up again, after a spell of dormancy and redriving it, I may give it a 'go'. I noticed that some of the guys remove their color cartridges. Some of you may have setting that allow you to defeat the color cartridge and use black only, but there's more to it. Unknown to some, 'black only' uses just a tiny, tiny bit of yellow ink, and it isn't 'dead black' as some think. This could be possibly a reason for limited success in using black only, and removal of the cartridge might be the only option. Cartridges for my printer are so expensive, HP should give the printers away for free. I'm going to fiddle around with my printer, but I thought I'd pass this along.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Anyone have any luck with a HP6520e all in one? I've tried everything said here and nothing. I have 3M trans. for inkjet and parchment, no go.

Last edited: