Transfer solution for inkjets by Cirelli

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No need for thanks but I do appreciate them. The best thing that can be done is to post success and failures. It truly would be nice to see this stuff work with virtually any inkjet.

JTR

Maybe no thanks required, but thanks anyway!
For beginners like me, getting the design to the metal is a real stumbling block.
John

nicglass1

i know this has been answered before, but where can i buy transparencies? i have looked all over Hobby Lobby and i can't find any. i found something that i THOUGHT would work, but in the end just a waste of 4 bucks i could have used somewhere else. so please, someone point me to the right store.... oh yeah and i am using a HP 5600 series printer, if this is a bad printer to use please let me know.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Transparency sheets are available at places like Staples, Officemax. They are overhead transparency sheets. It's best if you don't want to buy a whole box to go to a local office supply place not many around anymore but they'll probably sell you a couple sheets at a time.

Dan Grubaugh

Mike, what kind of printer are you using? I have a HP that uses # 56 black ink and can't seem to get it to work. I might have to break down and get a different one. Thanks
Dan

Dan Grubaugh

Mike, thanks for the info on the printer. I think that I have narrowed it down to the ink in the printer, as I cannot get it to release from the transperancy film once it has dried. I get a blurred transfer if I put it on and it is still wet. I will look into printers. Thanks again for your time generousity.
Dan

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Always good to have new tips and knowledge, thank you, Mike!

I use Tom's solution but on my Mac the results are a bit greyer than on a PC.

One thing about generic Q tips. I use them for applying superglue wicking it onto a revoling workpiece on the lathe and I know that the ph value of the various brands varies widely. Super glue goes offf instantly on some, and not on others, so maybe there is an ideal brand for you application out there. I have settled on 'Western Family" for my super glue use.

best

Rod

JCP

Mike ,Thanks for the tip.

I tried it with a HP 1315 all in one printer and had no transfer at all.
Wet ink smudges , dry ink stay put on transparency. (3M CG3480).

Must be the ink.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not sure what your using JCP but you need to use inkjet transparency sheet they are different from laser sheet they have a sort of rough side not smooth on both sides. You also have to wait for the ink to dry that's for sure.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
JCP;
I am using a HP-1310 all in one InkJet, with a #56 black cartridge, and 3-M CG3480 transparency sheets, and it works for me. I do, print on the smooth side of the sheet, I let it dry for abt 5 min and it's ready for transfer.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hp5440 works fine with 3m laser transparency. this transfers well on anything that is smooth- metal, glass, plastic.- anything non porous. i might call this cirelli sauce ! anyway, worx great, mike !

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Monk: Your giving me ideas, as I have been using the ink jet trans sheets, But cause of you will try the lazer sheets.

Dan Grubaugh

Powderhorn, does the ink dry at all when you print on the smooth side or does it seem to stay "wet"? I am using the same ink cartridge,56 black, and once it dries on the rough side, it does not come off! I will give it a try on the smooth side and see what happens. I am using 3M multipurpose transperancies, maybe that is the problem..... Thanks!
Dan

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan I used the same transparencies, you must I repeat must print in black only the color ink will not transfer. It may look black but you could be using the color to produce black. If so it will look purple black. Change your image to grayscale.

Dan Grubaugh

I will try and change it to grayscale. I didn't scan the image, just copied the designs, hit the black button and assumed that it would only use black ink....it looks black. Thanks again for your help and taking time out of your day to give information. It is vey much appriectiated!
Dan

JCP

I am using #27 black ink cartridge.

I will get the #56 and get back to you.

I got the Dammar varnish yesterday.
It is Grumbacher artists oil medium
It has turpintine in it.

Do I have the right Dammar?

Thanks all for help

Jack Phillips

JCP

OK, I have the #56 ink cartridge now. Im using 3M CG 3480 INK JET Transparency.

No difference. Print on rough side , no transfer at all.

Smooth side ink wan"t dry and smudges.

Wait until ink dries on smooth side and again nothing.

I'm so disgusted . nothing seem to work very well at all for me.:confused:

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
JCP,
I have read that if you first color the transparency sheet with a light color highlighter first, then print the image over the dried highlighter, it helps the ink to release better. I haven't tried this myself, but it sounds easy and might be worth a try.
I use Tom White's solution and an Epson c88 printer with epson transparencies, and this works pretty well. I have heard that Mac computers won't allow you to print with black ink only, I use a pc. Hope this helps!!
pappy

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
JCP,

I had the same problem. I have an HP all in one using a #56 black. Could not make it work. I went back to my old HP 880c with a #45 black and it transfers fine. I use 3M Transparency film for copiers. It's smooth on both sides.