Transfer solution for inkjets by Cirelli

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This transfer solution may work with any inkjet printer. I personally didn’t try every one. I am posting this to benefit all. It seems so many people have a hard time with a certain printers, ink and transfer sheets. So I thought it through and decided to release a solution I came up with instead of trying to profit from it. It works very well for me but may not for all but I think the majority will benefit. It works like Tom Whites, but if his works fine for you I would suggest to keep using it. It’s a very good product.
The Cirelli solution if I may call it that, is made by mixing 75 to 80 % Synthetic Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon and 20 to 25 % Dammar varnish. I found going toward the 80% seems to work a little better. You would apply a very light coating of the solution to a surface with a Q-tip or soft brush and allow it to dry (it dries very rapidly). Q tips have lanolin in them and have a tendency to kind of dissolve and make the solution cloudy doesn’t seem to affect it though. I would suggest mixing small amounts at a time.
The printout should be done on an inkjet print in black only, the black ink is the only color that will transfer. Print on the tooth side of the transfer sheet. Then lightly burnish image onto the treated area. It’s that simple.

Now you probably want to know what the heck Synthetic Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon is.

Review:
1. Solution 75 to 80 % Synthetic Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon (Zippo new formula lighter fluid) and 20 to 25 % Dammar varnish

2. Inkjet printer your choice (may not work)

3. Transfer sheets , I used two different 3m types and they worked fine) a little tip is to clean the smooth side with lighter fluid before burnishing and you won’t get a waxy sticky build up when you burnish..

Attachments

• transfer1.jpg
    transfer1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 860
  • transfer2.jpg
    transfer2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 879
  • transfer3.jpg
    transfer3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 837

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike.
Thanks for that.
You're a generous soul for sharing your discovery.
And I'm sure it will help many to solve their transfer problems.
Best regards, John B.

Last edited:

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, Thanks for what you've done, when I started getting into engraving the transferring was a major issue with me. finding out about transferring with the solution and transparencies made all the difference in the world, but had to get the epson printer. I'm still using it but will try my HP with this new solution of yours. Thanks again for sharing! Dwayne

mark 36

supplies

where do you get the transfer sheets from?? Places where I live dont have them. Also where do you get the Dammar Varnish??

Thanks
Mark

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Mike,
I never knew q-tips had lanolin in them. My transfers with Tom White's solution aren't coming out as good as they used too. I'll have to try a brush. I'll have to give your solution a try too!
pappy

mark 36

measuring the fluids

On this Cirelli method, how do you determine 80% and the 20% for the dammar varnish.What do you put the contents in to measure them??

Ozgraver

Thanks for your generosity Mike!

One question; are transfer sheets the same thing as ordinary overhead projector transparency sheets or are they something else entirely? (I'm in Australia and the terminology isn't familiar to me.)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
damar varnish available at any art supply outlet that would sell supplies to oil painter artists. to get the proportions properly: figure an approximate stock bottle volume. get a jar cap, bottle cap, or other suitable small container. into your larger stock bottle pour approx 8 caps of lighter fluid and about 2 caps of the damar varnish. cap size doesn't matter, all you're doing is maintaining proportionality- 8/2 for mikes' magic fluid. if the 8 & 2 routine doesn't come close to filling your stock bottle, simply do 8 more caps of lighter fluid and 2 more of damar. if you're blessed with a significant other, don't do this near her. most ladies find the damar varnish odor quite offensive.

Andrew Biggs

Mike....... thanks for the tip. Really appreciated

Ozgraver ... The tranparancies are generally like the ones you print through your computer.

My own personal experience is that the Epson transparancies work the best for me. It's somthing to do with the adhesive coat finish they put on it to hold the ink. It seems to release it the easiest out of all of them. The down side is that it's also the most expensive.

The whole transfer thing can drive you completley nuts. So when you find a method that works, stick to it.

Cheers
Andrew

Ozgraver

Thanks Andrew. I have some Canon transparencies that I ran through my Canon ink-jet printer, but the ink was really wet when it came through and remained so for some time until I eventually smugged it when testing it with my finger.

What sort of settings (economy, or?) are others using and what's a reasonable expected drying?

Dan Grubaugh

Mike, Thanks millions!! I have been having issues with transferring designs. I have tried all of the methods that everyone has posted and have some mixed results, the best being fair transfers and some not transfering at all. I will definately give your formula a try. Thank you again!
Regards-Dan Grubaugh

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A good reason to mix small amounts at a time is the lighter fluid evaporates very rapidly, every time you open the bottle a small amount evaporates changing the composition of the mix.

Andrew Biggs

OZgraver......... you may have to experiment with your settings. A royal pain I know but well worth the results. Try removing the colour cartridge and print with black only. Some printers allow you to do this and others don't. I have no idea which is which but I know my little cheap HP does.

You can print small amounts at a time by printing on a peice of paper first. Then cut just enough transparancey to cover that area. Then tape it over the printed bit on the paper and run it through the printer again.

That way you only print what you need and don't waste whole sheets at a time.

Cheers
Andrew

Ozgraver

Thanks Andrew. I certainly shall experiment. I've asked my Awefully Dreaded to pick some dammar varnish up on her way home.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Oz,
You can probably get little cups at a pharmacy or hobby supply(to mix epoxy in). They are graduated in several different scales and are nice for this kind of stuff. Also are you putting your transparencies in the printer the right way. Most of the ones I've seen can only use 1 side. I printed on the back of the Epson sheets by mistake a couple of times and the ink ran and made a mess inside the printer.
hope this helps
pappy

Ozgraver

I had a 'blonde' moment; I just realised I was using Canon photocopier transparencies and not ink-jet transparencies, so, I'll have to ask herself to pick up the correct sheets before I proceed. I'll bear in mind what you said about using the right side of the sheets too.