Transfer solution for inkjets by Cirelli

Dan Grubaugh

JCP, Mike said to change printer settings to gray scale. I done this and my printer(HP 6100 series) also has a print with black ink only option and I also clicked that. I made some designs using the scanner and copier modes. The ones from the scan mode will work, I think, first one I didn't set darkness of ink dark enough but did start to get a transfer...I just made another one and will try that and let you know. The one that I just used the copier mode, would not transfer. I know how discouraged you are....I have been in that same boat! But I think I may have it figured out.
Dan

Andrew Biggs

I have some suggestions...........

1. Buy the epson transparancies. The price hurts but they work and last a very long time if used wisley. I drove myself nuts trying to find cheap alternatives and would have saved myself a whole bunch of grief and money had I just done that one thing alone in the first place.

2. Take the colour cartridge out of the printer so you can print black ink only. (if your printer allows that) or do it through your printing software (if your printer allows for that)

3. When you scan do so in grey scale or even better black and white bitmap mode, not full colour mode.

4. Depending on what you know about photoshop (or whatever programe you use) work in CYMK mode not RGB......RGB mode does not give a true black.....CYMK mode is a printing mode and will give you a true printing black.

Cheers
Andrew

JCP

I've tried 3 transparencies, 3 different inks. I can get it to transfer from slick side with poor results (smudge).
I do print in greyscale with black ink only.

When the transfer happens does all the ink come off the transparency or just the ink on top. If it's just the ink on top why would it matter what kind of transparency were using? Clear tape should do the same thing.

I'm thinking the ink is the difference.

Jack Phillips

I can get a lexmark from wally world for 28 bucks
Might give that a try next.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ranchman.
After my Epson printer clogged up I went to an HP #5610 all-in-one that uses the #56 Black Ink cartridges or the #27, either one.
Using Epson transparencies I get good results.
It also works with plain old photocopy transparencies.
Don't know what to tell you, just be sure to go into the printer settings and select "Black Ink Only."
Can't figure why it's not working for you.

Best, John B.

JCP

Looks like it will be a while before I can get Epson transparency. All I have is Hammer mill and 3m. neither one works.

someone in another post ,can't rember who, suggested that you take a green dry erase marker, and cover the portion of the transparency on the rough side where the design will be printed.
I just tried it on 3M trans. and it worked great. Perfect transfer using the Cirelli Dammar and Zippo fluid release agent. Have your Cirelli drying on practice plate while printing . The ink dries almost instantly .The marker seems to soak up ink.

HP printer (1315v all in one)
#56 ink
Expo dry erase marker

Jack Phillips

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
John,

I will try my all in one again with the #56 black. I never could see or feel a rough side on the 3M transparency so I assumed there wasn't one. I'll try the acetone test. Maybe I was just putting them in on the wrong side on the all in one and the right side on the old 880c.

Thanks, Jeff

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Roger.
Sorry, can't answer your question for sure because I have only ever used it hooked up to a computer.
I usually import my originals to the printer after running them through Photoshop to size them etc.
Frankly, I don't see why it wouldn't work alone with the artwork imported from the scanner.
The ink, setting to Greyscale, Black Ink Only, and the transparencies should be the main factors.
But maybe someone who is more computer savy than me can chime in and help you.
Sure liked the buckle you posted elsewhere and still enjoy my copy of American Engravers that you sent me in 1983.

Hi Jeff.
Hope you are up and running with the transfers.
If not, see JCP's post above. Best of luck.

Best regards, John B.

Last edited:

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ranchman; I use the 3M sheets, the way to tell which side is the rough side is look for the white stripe. The white stripe is on the smooth side. I found they transfer best if you let them dry for abt 5 min, any sooner than that and they smear. Also it is probably depends on the humidity in the area where you live. Hope this helps.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
To All;
After I put in the above post, I got to thinking about the humidity, and how it has affected my transfers. I have noticed that when the humidity is low, the transfers dry quick, but when it is high they dry a lot slower. I am not sure how this affects a transfer, but it might want to be taken into account.

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
As of last night I'm up and running making great transfers with the Cirelli solution :D I even used a transparency with ink that sat over night. It was completely dry and it worked. Just had to burnish a lot harder. I'm using an HP 2210 all in one with a 56 black cartridge. 3M Transparency film for copiers pp2500. Black on clear no stripe.

Thanks, Mike, John, Andrew, Leschowe and everyone else. Life is good!

Hey Leschowe I see your in Louisville. I grew up in Niwot enjoying many meals at the Blue parrot. Wonder if it's still there. I live in Berthoud.

Jeff Graham

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, thanks. I tried alcohol and that seemed to work also. I will give acetone a try.

Jeff, Yes, the Blue Parrot is still there -- it's about a half mile from my house.
Since we live pretty close to each other, it might be nice to get together sometime and talk about engraving. If you are interested send me a private message.

Les Schowe

Last edited:

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
OK, I have the #56 ink cartridge now. Im using 3M CG 3480 INK JET Transparency.

No difference. Print on rough side , no transfer at all.

Smooth side ink wan"t dry and smudges.

Wait until ink dries on smooth side and again nothing.

I'm so disgusted . nothing seem to work very well at all for me.:confused:
are your settings in the printer box when you go to print it set at "best quakity picture" etc. and the paper product selected to something along the lines of "high quality glossy photo paper"? My epsom doesn't have a transparency setting anymore but this works best for me-hope this helps, If printed as "text and picture" on a plain paper setting you may be having problems becasue of that, if that's what your settings are. Basically just try to make sure your printer settings are the highest they can be-good luck, it is frsutrating when it doesn't work :-(

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I tried a lot of transfers, just ordered the Epson transparencies.
But I found a way to transfer a design to a working plate using your transfer solution (damar and zippo liquid) but using a HP lazerprinter.
I only could find some sheep transparencies for inkjet printers, but printing on the smooth side wit the lazerprinter has a very good result.

Even after one week al the lazerprinter ink transfers on the Cirelli solution.

Thanks for the tip

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud

You can also use the laser to print to plain paper and get a good transfer. Use a paper towel wet with Acetone to wipe the back of the paper and it will melt the toner free from the paper. Note that you can do this on bare metal but the transfer is fragile - doing it over Mike's solution gives you a much more stable transfer.

For the best transfer get some baking parchment and print on it - the toner can barely stick to the stuff and when you burnish the back it all transfers.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve

yes that was the first way I could do it, but the transfer with normal paper makes it a bit more difficult to place the design on the right place. Also the ink transfer is more dark and detailed with the transparent. More ink I think :D

I will try the baking parchment as well. But I prefer to engrave than experimenting with a transfer solution. :D

arnaud