Steel cage microscript lettering challenge

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Pretty small there, Kevin! This is an excellent exercise in graver control. :fastgraver:
Since it's crazy small, an easy word is fine. "engraver" seems to be a good one, but any word is ok I suppose.

GertGraveur

Elite Cafe Member
Can't go smaller, it should say Handgraveur...

I'm on 0.19mm for the lower cases, measured Sam-wise

Attachments

• Foto op 18-11-2011 om 21.15.jpg
    Foto op 18-11-2011 om 21.15.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 353

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Gert
Thats small what tool did you use and the sharpening geom:clapping::bow::bow:

0.19mm Sam looks like your drinking money on the line:biggrin:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
gert
If you have a look at my attempt your's is perfectlly cut. I would be happy if I could do that well at twice the height and thanks for the geom info. :thumbsup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I had a feeling we'd see something from you, Brian! Ok, let me see what I can come up with!

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Wow!!!! I tried this, and was happy when I got just under 1mm; even though my lettering looked like a pile of dog mess, that small..... Not that it's much better bigger. Sam I hope to some day shake your hand. That's incredible.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have seen Sam's micro-lettering in person and thought it was a smudge or scratch on the plate until I looked through the microscope........unbelievable.:tiphat:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well done Brian, yours would also be undiscernable without a microscope.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Its not cut as well as Sam's, but it is as small as I can go .15 mm as close as I can measure.

You don't realize how wobbly your set up is, until you start working at this scale.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
P1000026.jpg

The smallest is about .4mm. Used a 5X loupe like the one in the picture clipped to my reading eyeglasses. Had a hard time getting a decent picture. Used a good "point and shoot" camera, Macro setting. It looks much better than the picture shows, (honest) but not nearly as good as Sam and Brian's. And theirs are much smaller.

This time used a soft steel plate that has a thin blue paint. Was easier than the nickel used before.
Maybe this will get me in the top 20.
Kevin Scott

Attachments

• P1000026 cropped and resize (2).jpg
    P1000026 cropped and resize (2).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 338

Andrew Biggs

This morning, just before breakfast, I engraved the entire King James version of the bible, as it was translated from the original Hebrew, complete with references and index, on the head of a pin using a fly's hair split in half as a graver.

Oh yeah, if anyone's interested, I used old English as the font just to keep it authentic looking and my only magnification was an 1.5 optivisor.

My apologies in advance for the poor quality photo but unfortunately my camera is not really up to the task as you can see.

Cheers
Andrew

PS. I was thinking of illuminating the headings but that would have just been a bit of overkill :)

Attachments

• Head-of-a-pin.jpg
    Head-of-a-pin.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 344

Sponsors