Steel cage microscript lettering challenge

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Anyone want to have a contest on who can cut the smallest hand engraved script lettering? I have to warn you...I can cut 'em pretty small *evil grin*.

Rules:
1.) has to be incised with a graver, not dots.
2.) has to be photographed next to a ruler to determine height.

Prize:
Free beer for life in every pub in the world.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Can I use a beam of gallium ions to carve it:banana::shock:

So what are the rules,one letter,a word,our names...? Also,what media,steel,ivory,etc?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm just gonna engrave a really, really big ruler and put it next to my normal size lettering. :cool:

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
So what is it supposed to say? I may give this a try, just to see how small I can do; in no way do I want to compete though, as would get taken to school. I'm very excited to see what comes of it. K Frei

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
I can make the worlds smallest period :) Actually I recall one time on a TV show hearing about a guy who wrote the entire Lord's prayer on the head of a pin. He did that without a microscope as he was imprisoned in a dungeon or something along those lines. I gotta look that up but I do recall that story, strange enough as it is.
Paul Kelleher

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is an interesting thread, as I have just been contemplating trying to reproduce the tiny "engraved by W L Ormsby/New York" on a repro 1849 Colt Pocket model. I have never attempted something that small, and I am not sure I want to try. ...I'll get back to you if I do. It's about 0.030"!

Sam

Staff member
Are there considerations for the use of a microscope, optivisor, eyeglasses or naked eye?

I hadn't thought of that. I'd say it's a microscript contest no matter what magnification you use. Just trying to keep it simple.

UncleJim1955: That's very respectable micro block lettering you did there :thumbsup:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
What about we all use the same word one that came to mind is SAM seeing that he has to judge it and also as judge can't compete as I would think he has had some practise at this one !!!!:biggrin:

Sam

Staff member
Ray: I'm definitely competing unless I get no challenges and am forced to crown myself king of microscipt

D.M. It's a fun contest...no entrance fees, no prizes.

Sam

Staff member
Yes, free beer :beerchug: for life anywhere in the world.

Still no takers? With all the hotshot engravers we have here???

Latest posts

Sponsors