Steel cage microscript lettering challenge

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
There will be takers were are just building up to it and a little practise going on as a newby and totally crap at lettering anyway the best I have so far 1MM high on my lower case trying to play with the sharpening geom as I am still getting heal drag :mad: will try again tomorrow.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hint: Microscript requires a micro heel.

Now if you win you have to share your prize money with me. :cool:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
Thanks for the hint I am down to approx 0.3/4 of a mm now will try smaller maybe the cuts are still to deep as I said I will have a go friday my time ( UK ) ?? would increase heel angle help?????
Ray

p.s if I win ( bloody comedian ) you can keep all the prize money, I do this at the moment for pleasure and you on the other hand are a poor struggling engraver and in these hard time you may need it, keep it with my blessing take the good lady for a night out :)

Sam

Staff member
I use the same 45/15 face and heel, but the heel is quite a bit shorter. I don't increase the heel angle.

Thanks for your generous contribution of the prize $$ ! :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
darn ! a shame i have to go and take a nap ! i'd blow you all away with laughter if i parpisatated in this. :rolleyes:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Well I will be the first, it's laughter time and I seek forgiveness from the Masters for what I am about to post:eek:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The first image lower case measures 0.8mm the second is 0.5mm I did say my lettering is crap :eek: the only plus is that I know it maybe in ten years it will get better.

tech: cut in steel and used lindsay detail template to sharpen yes Sam I did make the heel micro I am also struggerling with the push tools so I used my air tool to cut these all be it a bit :eek::eek:

for those of you that are on the floor eating the carpet with laughter make sure it's not were the dog or cat lay you may get a fur ball and choke on it:rolleyes:

Sam I think the prize money is safe

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
with all due respect, Sam, i'd be game to play your game, but here's my problem: while i could no doubt make a collection of barely legible nano-chicken scratches (probably easily under .010 tall- maybe even close to half that), it would be of such poor quality that it would barely qualify as script lettering. i know this because my efforts at normal size script are nothing to brag about- it's just not ever been my thing. perhaps the rules should include a provision for 'style points' -kinda like Olympic ski jumping isn't judged solely on maximum distance?

having said that, i may still give it a shot to satisfy my own curiosity. i've got a scrap of copper around here somewhere.

Sam

Staff member
Nice work, Martens! Can you do script as well? That's very nicely cut Roman lettering. :thumbsup:

Ray: Good try, mate! Let's see you do some engraver's script style.

Mitch: Style points is a good idea I suppose. Let's see what you can do. I'm teaching this week...if I get a chance I'll knock out some script.

Sam

Staff member
The word "engraver" cut with a square graver, 45° face and 15° (micro) heel and GRS 901 Airtact handpiece. Eyeball measuring with a Mitutoyo digital micrometer shows the letter size size (all letters except the "g") at 0.3mm.

microscript_1.jpg microscript_2.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was working on the edge of a dime! I thought that was small. Will attempt to scale down. Sam, Show Off HaHa-knew you would get way down there. Very impressive

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
(Sam ) Sorry master:bow::bow::bow: should have waited till you posted your photo could have save myself a little face :eek: but I did say my lettering was crappy. Boy have I got a lot to learn and at 57 I don't think I will last long to match you guy's.
But yours well what can't I say :cool: I am very impressed and I think you will save the best till last i.e half that size:biggrin:
Told you the prize was safe but I will have to practise, improve , and try again :justkidding:
I shall just fade away now and put some battery acid on the wounds to feel better:rolleyes:

Sam

Staff member
The plate has a few scuffs on it. At this size, the scuffs and scratches are a deep as the engraving :shock:

Not sure I can get it down much smaller, but I'm up for the challenge :cool:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Gave it a try. It is a scrap nickel watch plate that was already in the vise. the ruler is metric. The smallest is about .5mm.
Not so good, but I saw after a couple of tries, did get better. Best results using my normal magnification 3X loupe clipped to my eyeglasses.
Doubt I could get to .3mm and be reconizable as scrip.

I think for the contest Sam should pick a word, and how it should be engraved. I think some capital letters would be hard to do, like the capital "S", when done in traditional engravers script.
Kevin Scott

Attachments

• P1000023  detail 2.jpg
    P1000023 detail 2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited: