First knife in a number of years

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Marty I am so impressed. how was that background done,what is a banknote background? is all the shading on these pictures done in lines. I just cant get over this work!!!

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As always thanks for the kind comments guys. It was a lot of fun working on the knife and as I said it was quite a bit different than the usual gun engraving I have been doing as of late. The Grand Masters class with Alain of course was a big help as it helped me refine the skills and techniques I had developed over the years. This is what is so great when you can study under a person who is so far ahead of your own skill levels.

Lee....we have joyously discussed together over the years art concepts and how it relates to engraving and you know how pleased I am seeing your progress over the years. You have become a true artist. So have you Andrew. Bravo

Arnaud.....We call those eyes here in my neck of the woods."bedroom eyes". It's funny how most people seemed to like this woman better, yet I favor the first side i did. Don't know why but I do Go figure. But thanks again and keep drawing. Your skills are improving.

Tim...In answer to your questions. almost all the engraving on this is lines. There are some dots in places and I used them to help some of the lines fade out. Basically I am not a dot fan. i just don't have the temperament to sit and do dots. Personal hang up i quess. I used a variety of gravers for the lines. A 90, 105 and a 70. I used a combination of hand push and a GRS Airtact with a monarch handpiece. I really like the Airtact and with no foot pedal i don't have to think all I have to do is push ever so gently and I think this gives me good tool control. I can also stay in the same mental mode as i switch off between hand and power. If you notice in the progression pictures I have posted along the way I bounce around the image as I work so i can visualize what I am doing as i do it. It's the way I learned to draw and old habits die hard. As I have posted before on various threads.you must draw. This helps your thinking and more importantly it develops your eye hand coordination which you need when you work this small.

Thanks again guys