First knife in a number of years

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Marty,
Looking good. On suggestion I would make would be not to cut a hard line under the chin in the future. Yours are pretty fine so it still looks pretty good. I did that on a job once and her head looked disconnected.
So I use dots now, to define a hard line.
You really captured the Mucha theme, great job. Thanks for sharing.
All the best
Rick

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rick
I know what you mean about disconnecting the head with a hard line. To scale on the knife the line doesn't look as harsh as it does in the photo. Also a trick I learned when doing life drawing in school is to not make the line an even weight. Vary the intensity and also back it up with some more subtle lines next to it to soften it up and give some depth to the neck and jaw line. Now when I add some more lines and contrast to the eyes the chin will also seem softer as it won't be the only harsh type lines on the head. That's why I like bouncing around the figure while I engrave so I can try and balance things out. And of course to cover up mistakes which I never admit to doing. But this isn't one of them. But this is a very good comment that many people should be aware of as they engrave figures.

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Marty,
Thanks for the insight on the lines, I have yet to do a whole face with lines only, they can be more tricky, but they give a sharpness you dont get with dots.
Rick

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That rock is charoite; peculiar to Russia I believe.
Kevin P.
Sorry Tim I didn't see your post before I sent mine. It's the nicest purple I've seen in charoite.
It's nice for the rest of us Marty to watch your progress. And even at your level of artistry there are still people who can offer suggestions. Impressive all round.
Kevin P.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin
Suggestions can always be made no matter what level of artistry. Some suggestions are technical in nature and some are more subjective as to the art end of representing something. We all have our unique ways of seeing and executing. At times we also get so wrapped up in what we are doing we don't see the obvious and that is where someone detached from a project can see things we don't.
Marty

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I think I am finished with this lady. Here is a final picture through the microscope lens. Hope you enjoyed the journey with me along the way.
Marty

Attachments

• girl 2 in progress 3 finished.jpg
    girl 2 in progress 3 finished.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 61

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful!
:tiphat:

How about some shots of the whole knife to give us a better sense of how it looks in person? I seem to recall someone, somewhere, telling me that engraving was meant to be seen with the naked eye and that the only time you should look at with a loupe was if you were engraving it or buying it. ;)

But Thanks! for the closeups - while we're not buying it, we are studying it.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah Steve. I wonder who said that to you?

I'll post some pictures when I take them before sending the knife back to the owner

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are two full pictures of the finished knife I promised to post. These are test shots and it helps to make sure you remove lint and stuff before you take the good ones. Maybe even clean the camera lens also if I feel real ambitious.
Thanks for all you comments over the course of this project. I hope you enjoy the photos.
marty

Attachments

• side one lady.jpg
    side one lady.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 73
  • side two lady.jpg
    side two lady.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 74

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very Nice Marty, I like both the lady's and the knife.
I was wondering why the lady on side one is my favourite, I think because she looks you in the eyes. :thumbs up:

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The stones for the scales work so well with the design - it feels like you can almost see them 'through' the scales.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty,

Well done. I think you are getting the hang of it. Great subtle shading of the face. For anyone who has not tried to engrvae or draw the face of a young lady or child I will tell you it is one of the most difficult things to do. Rick, your comments about the chin are spot on. This also applies at times to other areas and animals. Marty thanks for an explanation of various ways to handle it. Very helpful.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
That is absolutely amazing work! your class with Alain sure shows up in the piece. Could you please make castings and put me down for the first ones! I am a huge Mucha fan and this knife will be really amazing!