First knife in a number of years

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a quickie hand held photo of the back end of a knife I started. The gold wire is .020 of an inch thick. The engraved area is 7/8" high just to give you a sense of scale. I usually take a picture like this so I can blow it up and print it. This way i can see what shading and details I have done when I engrave the other side.

Attachments

• knife back side.jpg
    knife back side.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 628

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marty,
That's just looking great!
Can you tell me what the purple mineral is called? It's that stuff from Russia isn't it?
Pretty rare with flames like that if I am correct.
Can't wait to see the full knife.
Greetings,

Daniel

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Daniel.
the purple area is called A STONE.
it's similar to a ROCK........
seriously I don't remember the name but i think you are correct that it does come from Russia.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yeah it is rather tiny.a little different from a gun. It still has a way to go and I will be engraving 2 women on the front end of it in my usual banknote style. I'm working on this while engrave some other projects to keep my usual insanity. Attached is a picture of one of the women I will be working from for this knife

Attachments

• girl 3 copy.jpg
    girl 3 copy.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 238

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Marty, Great design, the girl and flowers looks kind of like it is done in water color, is that your artistry? In any case it's beautiful work. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are correct Roger.
I got a phone call from a gentleman who recently bought a knife I engraved about 18 years ago with Mucha girls on it. He asked me if i would engrave another knife for him and I thought it would be interesting to engrave another Mucha knife with different women. I thought it would be interesting to see what 18 years has taught me.

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
the purple area is called A STONE.
it's similar to a ROCK........

That's funny as heck. Lot's and lots of snow can produce humor like that. :)

Very nice work Marty.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I hope that's the beginning of more knives from you, Marty. Beautiful job!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My intentions on my knife is to use the Mucha figure and add my own three dimensional shading to it so it has a classical banknote style to it rather than an art nouveau one. One should as much as possible "work from" rather than "direct copy" thereby making it your own expression.
Mucha has a fantastic sense of design and his "realistic" drawings are still stylised to some extent but beautifully rendered showing the hand of the artist.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful Scroll work Marty, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product too, Thanks for posting, Rock looks good too ;)

Dwayne

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like a very nice knife. Can't hardly wait to make some myself, but I'm not ready for it yet. The first I hope to finish soon is the Buck knife wit Ron's design on it.
I'm still studying design with Ron's books, just 24 ours in a day :mad:

arnaud

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a progress shot of the first Mucha lady on the knife bolster. I decided to try a shot through the microscope lens with my Sony 12.1 pixel idiot proof pocket camera. The bolster at the widest point is 7/8" to give you a scale reference. No real details yet , just trying to lay our some basic contrast and grey areas. The through the lens shots work out pretty decently.

Attachments

• girl 1 in progress.jpg
    girl 1 in progress.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 117

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's developing nicely!

"Through the lens" shots are a place where a little point & pixellate is better than a DSLR - sometimes a smaller lens is a good thing.

Latest posts

Sponsors