First knife in a number of years

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow Marty, that's going to be a beauty.
I see you have done the background in banknote style. That's a ton of work.
Are you going to do the whole thing in that style?
Gonna keep your head down for a while if so.
You really took the Grand Masters 2008 class and style to heart.
This should be one fantastic piece when you're done.

Best, John B.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marty,

Wauw, She looks really great next to that Stone that is similar to a Rock! I really love the composition of the design. Can't wait to see the final result!

Daniel

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the kind comments gang. Here is another update on how this lady is coming along. There is a dime in the picture for scale. It still has a ways to go. If you look back at the original picture I am working from, not copying, you will see a few subtle changes in scale of the different elemnts and some size proportions. This was done purposly due to the small scall and I thought it would read better to the viewer. Who knows?

Attachments

• girl 1 in progress 2.jpg
    girl 1 in progress 2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 117

Andrew Biggs

Looking good Marty!!

The scale thing is definatley one to keep in mind. We are so used to seeing large photos that we can forget just how small these things can really be and they have to be viewed with the naked eye...............with the help of reading glasses for some of us!! :)

A casting when you're finished Marty???

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Andrew
Funny.I just got off the phone with a fellow forumite about the phot and some proportions. He also asked if the area above the eyes were done in dots or lines. In actuality it is both. While the through the lens microscope pictures really are neat they don't show everything. i perhaps should have also dabbed the surface with modeling clay to kill the glare. I didnt so a lot is getting lost an dther is still tons to do. I'll keep you posted. By the way.so far i have 12 hts into engraving the figure and flowers. i am not obsessive compulsive.....am I?

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Marty,
I wouldn't care if I could type or not if I could engrave like you can. Beautiful work.

Stewart

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I am finished with the first lady. Now I'll set the knife aside and work on something else before finishing the other side.

Attachments

• girl 1 in progress 3.jpg
    girl 1 in progress 3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 95

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Looks great, My wife saw it and said a New Yawk version of "wow" when I showed her the picture next to the dime....
Does this mean you will have to change your name to FANCYKNIFE??????
Keith Pedersen

Last edited:

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
Marty .. you are the best ,, and i mean that , your belino and engraving is some of the best ,,very good .. that knife is looking great .. ron p

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As always guys, Thank you so much for all you kind comments here on the forum and in your emails. It has definately been a change of pace from my usual gun work. Attached is a picture of the lady I am going to engrave on the other side along with a line drawing from this picture that I will use to transfer to the knife. Thanks again.
Marty

Attachments

• girl 1 4 transfer.jpg
    girl 1 4 transfer.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 69
  • girl 1 copy2.jpg
    girl 1 copy2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 79

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's beautiful Fancygun. Thanks for posting the pictures in stages. It will be great to see the other side develop as well.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that the first side of the knife is finished.......I think. I have the itch to get the other side engraved. So here is a lens view of my start on the other woman. I'll take a few more to post as I move along.
Marty

Attachments

• girl 2 in progress.jpg
    girl 2 in progress.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 83

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty,

What did I expect?............. Same old thing! :).........Excellent work!!,............. and it is good to see you using some gold too.......Outstanding!..........:beerchug:

rock on buddy!

Ron S

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent work. My congratulations. :beerchug:
These designs are very beautiful knife. You are a very talented person.
thanks for your work.

Antonio

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Once again, Thank you very much for all the kind comments and emails.
Attached is an update on where I am at with the second lady. As you can see I bounce around a lot while I engrave. This helps me to see what I am doing and where I want to go easier. Sort of the same way I draw with a pencil. Still have a ways to go. Need to start shading the hand and then get back and sharpen up and define the face a bit more.
Marty

Attachments

• girl 2 in progress 2.jpg
    girl 2 in progress 2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 63