FEGA coat of arms thread

Andrew Biggs

Fantastic alright. That is just wonderful thank you, Dan. A real work of art and timeless!!!! :)

The original estimate we worked on was a price price range between $1500 to $4000 for the certificate artwork…….and $100 to $250 per certificate for printing and illumination/gold leaf and writing names.

So now we are at the stage where we need to nail prices down so I can present it to the FEGA BOD again with actual costs.

Dan, I need a few things from you please.

1. Your price for the initial completed certificate and artwork. When you want payment for this I will give you the address to send the invoice to and FEGA will send the cheque.

2. Price for an initial 43 certificates completed by you with the names dates etc. (Don’t worry about shipping as that will be whatever it is)

3. A price for individual certificates each year. Some years there will be zero and other years it will be in lots of one or two.

I can then go to the BOD with the exact costs and we can formulate a plan from there.

My initial hope is that FEGA will gift these to all existing FEGA Master Engravers. It will be a big expense at the beginning but after that no big deal. I have already sounded out the BOD and if the prices fall within the original estimates than I don't see a problem with it.

Plan B which I don’t like very much is for the Masters to pay or partially pay for their own (via FEGA) as it’s messy and bitsy.

One thing that will have to be coordinated at the FEGA end is names (Bob or Robert, Marty or Martin, etc etc) plus the dates the Masters got their initial accreditation……….that should be fun!! :) :)

Cheers
Andrew

DM

Sorry for the sideways photos again.
I made about 10 samples of how the names should look and have decided on the greenish version. I jumps out from the rest of the certificate while holding the color scheme of the acanthus and coat of arms.
I did a black and white copy and laid all the gold and tooling for a time test to calculate what cost will be.

DM

So, This was by no means a typical commission because you gave me so much liberty with design and I recreated all the logos, coats of arms and all the small aspects of the certificate alone to get it where it should be and I think this is the finest piece I've ever done. Thank you for that liberty and flexibility.
We will absolutely stay within the price range we initially agreed upon and thank you for extending the range so that I could do my very best work for this piece. I can't possibly charge for all the time I spent in the last 3 month designing this, but the price for the final certificate will be $3750.

DM

For each certificate to be re-gilded, tooled and names, etc, added:
time: 3 hours 20 minutes each at $65/hr comes to $214.50 and the cost of materials (initial scanning, giclee prints, diploma folders $11.23, books of 24k gold leaf (9 to 10 sheets of gold for each certificate) comes to 33.23 which is a total of $247.73 for each giclee print. So we are inside of budget without having to eliminate any peripheral actual gilding! Let's call it $248 even because there will be some do-overs.
I'm meeting with my printer tomorrow at 10AM to have 50 giclee prints made.

The scanning of the piece is not on a flatbed scanner, but with cameras and lighting to get all the detail of the color. I'm incredibly fussy! I will be driving through Boston (yes, past all the high end, high price printers in the city) to Methuen, MA (3 hours one way) to get the best for this project. I use Image-Tec and have use them for years for the high end prints of my gilded maps. I'll be coming home with the best results for these certificates. You will love the end product!

So I hope you are pleased with the pricing. I know it's on the high side, but I did my very best for you. For any other client, I would never have given so much attention and reproduced all the details separately before making the piece for testing and assurance that everything will work.

I will prepare a small insert for each certificate explaining that these giclee prints are the finest archival inks available and and tooled 24k gold leaf applied by the artist by hand for each certificate. I'll send you a small blurb that will be printed for your approval.

DM

After scanning (high resolution as well as web file and a CD) I will ship you the original 16x20 along with the digital files. I will not hold any copyrights and it will belong to you.

I need the address to send the invoice for the original to cover the cost of all the printing , diploma folders and all the 24k gold leaf I need to order for the prints.
I also need the address to ship all the prints to the President to sign and send back to me. How shall that be paid?
How shall I bill you for the individual prints? One at a time? I need correct names and dates. Shipping should be reasonable because I will send the folders in a plastic sleeve, and then in a regular envelope. The diloma folders are padded and substantial and will be fine to protect each certificate, which is much easier than boxes.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dan

Yes, I agree about Sam's name in the green. It really pops and adds a good point of difference. :)

All I can say is WOW!!!! That is simply outstanding in every respect!!!! I take my hat off to you, I really do. You have taken an idea and brought it to life.............incredible!! :)

Thank you for all the pricing and it's great that if all fits within the original estimates and I thank you for all the extra time you have put into it.

I will now put all that into an email for the BOD and get the final sign off for you.

It takes a day or two for all of them to get back to me so as soon as I know, you'll know.

The true fun ids going to be getting all the names that people want and dates. The dates will be the the toughest part. So the logistics will take a bit of time to gather.

I will get back to you shortly with all the address details etc etc so you can get you invoice in asap and get paid for your work so far.
Really appreciated thank you

Andrew

DM

The original is 16"x20" and all the giclee prints will be 11'x14".
I'm off to the printer in an hour and will be coming home later today with all the prints to send to the President for signatures.

Andrew Biggs

Good deal thank you

I've had half the BOD get back to me already in the positive. So by the time you get back from the printers and I get out of bed........we'll have the final go ahead.

I'll have addresses etc etc for you as well tomorrow. I'm off to bed in a few minutes :)

Damn, this is really exciting to get to this stage.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, its historic and a real legacy piece to hand down to future generations. I love it all round

We have a majority decision from the BOD. I have to hear back from 3 more people but they will be fine with it.

So FEGA will pay for all the certificates and make them complimentary for all the FEGA Master engravers. That just makes the process so much easier.

Billing…………….

I understand what it is to be self employed and like everyone you need to pay bills etc etc…………..so invoice FEGA as you go.

1. Send initial invoice of $3750.

2. Send invoice also for initial printing or any other supplies that you need to complete the project if you so desire. I don’t expect you to be out ofd pocket for anything as this will take some time to complete.

3. Future invoicing. Send invoices as you go. This can be for individual certificates or in groups of certificates. Just what ever suits you.

4. On your invoices clearly define that it is for the FEGA Master Engraver certificates. And write the names of the recipients on the invoices. That way we can keep track of who has been completed.

5. Shipping. Again, invoice this as you go. Same with the folders. When you get them, invoice FEGA.

We are totally flexible about all this so invoice how you see fit. We do not expect you to be out of pocket on this deal.

It is normal practice for FEGA to pay by cheque………..however if you would prefer electronic payment just let me know as that can probably be arranged.

If there are any problems let me know immediately……..any questions also just let me know.

Invoice address (you can also email the invoices if that suits you better)

FEGA
6120 David Dr.
Wisconsin Rapids
WI 54494

Contact; Betty Strosin. Phone 616-929-6146
Email: fegainfo@fega.com

Presidents address

Barry Lee Hands
7191 E. Carey Ave.
Las Vegas
NV 89156

Phone 406-249-4334
Email: barry_hands@yahoo.com

Barry goes away quite a bit to shows and overseas……….so when you are ready to send him the certificates please ring or e-mail him to let him know the certificates are on the way.

One thing I would suggest is that you also buy a pen that you want him to sign them with and send it to him as well………blue calligraphy pen???????

Otherwise God knows what sort of pen they will be signed with. Crappy signatures can really spoil the look of certificates……………..so feel free to send him instructions as well :) :)

I will now start the process of hunting and gathering names and dates and send them to you in batches.

Andrew Biggs

Just so you know. All the BOD has got back to me and the decision is unanimous :)

I've just sent out the first lot of emails asking the FEGA Masters to get back to me with correct name and dates they were made a FEGA Master.

So I will start posting the list as soon as they start replying. :)

Sam.......you'll be getting an email as well so you can see what I've sent out.

DM

I shipped the blank certificates to Barry Yesterday by Priority Mail requiring a signature. He will receive them Monday. I've had some bad results with FedEx and UPS and have never had issues with Priority mail.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for all your hard work, Dan. When I get mine I'll shoot a nice high resolution photo of it.

Andrew Biggs

I will prepare a small insert for each certificate explaining that these giclee prints are the finest archival inks available and and tooled 24k gold leaf applied by the artist by hand for each certificate. I'll send you a small blurb that will be printed for your approval.

Hi Dan

Great idea thank you.

I'm working on the names and dates for you and have quite a few for you already.

One question............Do you want to mail the finished certificates to the recipients from your end?? Or would you prefer to send them to the FEGA office?

To save double handling and reduce the chances of damage in transit it would be better to send directly from you. But I'm happy either way. :)

DM

I would prefer to send them directly to the recipients just to minimize and risk of damage.