FEGA coat of arms thread

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
holy crap! that's bloody fantastic!

Yes, i like the addition wording as well. OMG this is going to look good on my wall!

DM

checking in

The light watercolor glaze has been placed for the base for all the detail in the acanthus.

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

DM

I don't now why the photos are coming out upside down. sorry about that.

Sam

Staff member
It's amazing to watch the process of this fantastic certificate! Really loving all the details! The drop shadow on MASTER ENGRAVER gives it such a sense of high relief. Absolutely fantastic!!

DM

There will be another layer of dropped shadow on "master engraver" with graphite fading to nothing, and the tooling of the gold on the same letters will make it pop off the page.

DM

I bought some samples of these padded diploma covers (black 11'x14"). I think they will be a perfect method of shipping and protecting each certificate in an envelope without the bother of cardboard, wrapping boxes and shipping tape. Each comes with an acetate protection sheet to keep the gold leaf undisturbed. They are very rigid and very substantial. Very appropriate for the quality of each certificate. Let me know what you think.

The link is http://diplomacovers.net/quick-ship-11x14-single-tent-style-cover.html

I can also post a photo if needed.

Andrew Biggs

I'm loving the process as well. It's always great to see how other artisans go about their work.

Looks awesome !!!! :)

The holders look good and are cheap enough .........and they do the job. So yes, we can use them.

Thinking ahead...............once you have completed the master certificate for Sam we will get an exact price (quote) from you to print and complete an initial X 43 of them. Shipping is an extra that we will add on as an approximate.

Plus individual ones as they come up every year or two.

One thing we have to figure out is how to get Barry (FEGA President) to sign them.................the more they are shipped and handled, the more chance of damage. Ideally we amt them shipped only the once to the recipient.

This may be off the wall and be stretching it................Maybe Barry sends you his signature and it is copied????? Would that be acceptable for this project or is that getting a bit dodgy???? (Hey, I had to ask :) :)

Cheers
Andrew

DM

Andrew, that is a very good issue to address. I have given this some thought and maybe after the master is scanned , I can have many printed, and ship them without gold or names to be signed and then he can send them all back to me to finish to add gold and names. That way, the final certificate will only be shipped once to the recipient. I think that because of the high caliber of these certificates, they should probably be signed personally by Barry. I could certainly copy any signature, and could probably make a great living with forgery, but well, you know... I think this small extra step will save time and shipping costs in the long run. I expect to have the master completed by this Friday and have a bunch printed on Monday. Once they are printed, I can see how long they take to gild, and come up with several name styles for you guys to look at and make a decision about. So, total time to completion is not more than 2 weeks. (finally)

Sam

Staff member
I agree, Barry's actual signature should be on the certificates. It'll add a few dollars shipping cost but it's well worth it IMHO.

Really exciting that we're getting close!

Andrew Biggs

The extra shipping costs doesn't worry me.

Yes, I agree, Barry should sign them..............my only concern was potential damage in shipping them. But if they can be signed before finishing that solves the problem. If damage occurs then it's limited.

But I had to ask :) :)

A couple of weeks........fantastic!!!

Once we have final costs/quotes nailed down i can then go to the BOD with an exact plan of how to approach this. All the original estimates have been approved so if everything falls within those then it's just a matter of signing it off.

Damn, this is exciting to see it so close to completion :)

Cheers
Andrew

DM

enhancing the dropped shadow with a little smudged graphite.

master_certificate1.jpg

some detail.

IMG_6794.jpg

Sam

Staff member
That's fantastic!! I hope you don't mind that I uploaded a vertically oriented version of your photo.

Those letters look like they're an inch high off the paper! This is just wonderful!

DM

Sam, of course. I have no idea why my photos are uploading upside down or sideways.
I have to teach a 2 day gilding workshop the weekend. I think it will take longer to finish this. I was shooting for tomorrow, but it's not going to happen. This need much more detail and I don't want to rush it. okay?

DM

coat of arms needed to be enhanced. It looked washed out. A deeper green was needed.

IMG_6798.jpg IMG_6798.jpg

DM

certificate is finished. I will be meeting my printer Wed. and have prints made.

IMG_6881.jpg IMG_6882.jpg IMG_6879.jpg IMG_6894.jpg IMG_6880.jpg

DM

I am now working on a few variations of "Sam Alfano" to make a final decision on how the name will look. Will probably post later tonight.