FEGA coat of arms thread

DM

Barry received the certificates. He will send them back to me on Monday (I guess he writes really slow) LOL!

Andrew Biggs

Yes, I've told him that he has to use his best signature for this. :)

I'm still in the process of gathering names and dates. The dates are the problem as you can imagine.........So I'm doing some back checking to makes sure the early ones are as correct as possible.

Some of them will be day/month/year and others will be month/year. A lot of them want their middle initial as well.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andrew: the date is for master and not our previous Professional status, correct?

Andrew Biggs

The best date to use is wen you became a Certified Professional. FEGA Master Engraver came much later and every CP at the time was grandfathered into the Master program.

In actual fact.............. it was just a name change. :)

Apparently the original idea way back in 1986 when all this started was to use the title Master.........But quite a few people had/still have issues using the Master title. Goodness knows why but they do. I think its all part of the European cultural cringe and goes back to the American revolution. So it was called "Professional" Status and then within a short period of time it was Certified Professional which is about as sexy, marketable and appealing as a dead rat. The name had absolutely no link to the arts whatsoever.

So a few years back, just as I was coming onto the BOD, a command decision was made and it was changed to FEGA Master Engraver......thank goodness. :)

But to this day there are a few that adamantly oppose it and think it's elitist and not like the old European Master thing. Blah, blah, blah, blah..........but the truth is that sooner or later we all have to move on otherwise we'd still be living in caves reminiscing about the good ol' days when we lived in the swamp. :)

So Sam, you became a Certified Professional back in August, 1986 along with 29 others. 30 in total. With you were the likes of Sam Welch, Marty Rabeno, Bob Strosin and so on.

Sam

Staff member
Ok, 1986 it is! Nearly 30 years ago. I don't recall if I was one of the first CPs or if I came later. If the CP program did start in August 1986, then it can be said our new certificate celebrates 30 years of FEGA Masters!

Can't wait to have mine framed. I know it'll cost a bloody fortune for what I want (archival specs, non-glare glass, etc). I have one photo framed with non-glare glass and it's amazing and totally worth the extra cost.

Andrew Biggs

You're right, it is 30 years. I never thought of it like that.

Yes, you were definatley one of the first CP's. In fact there was an initial batch of 30 in August 1986. That is the closest I can nail the date down with the information I have.

In fact you may even say that you were the very first CP........because the names are listed in alphabetical order........Alfano is the first name on the list. :) :)

I'll send you through a copy of the newsletter I have.

DM

Wow, you certainly have your hands full trying to get accurate dates.

I spoke with Barry today. He shipped the certificates back to me today, so I will be needing the list of names and dates along with addresses of the recipients so I can send them as I complete them. I certainly don't need the complete list now, because these are time intensive and will take a while to complete.

I still need to write the short blurb about the certificate that will be included with each piece, which I will post to you when I come up with it. Like it is 24k gold and should not be touched with your hands, etc. The cards I created for Gilded Age Greetings include a pair of white gloves because each card is re-gilded with gold, similar to our project but I think that might be a bit over the top for this. (see the video at www.gildedagegreetings.com)

I am curious as to how you found me for this project because I do not advertise at all.

Andrew Biggs

Good deal about the blurb that goes with the certificate.

Could you also please add something about "celebrating 30 years of the FEGA Certified Professional/Master Engraver program. I can send you a colour FEGA letterhead as well if you want to add that.

It was Sam that found you and I'm glad he did............so I'll let him answer that one :)

Yes, the names are the easy bit. Dates are problematic................I will email you some of the recipients with names dates and addresses today/tomorrow..............as far as timing goes, take your time with it. It's not a quick project by any means and you can only have so much concentration in a day. Plus there is other work to squeeze in. :)

Andrew Biggs

The first amendment :)

I received this from Sam Welch..............Andrew, you may have already received this info but...Annual Meeting Feb 8, 1986 with Ben Lane President, the Professional Membership status having been voted on by the membership via mail ballots, the selection committee was voted on at the meeting and passed and so I would guess that is the starting date.

So it looks like February 8th, 1986 is the correct date for all the originals including Sam Alfano. (Not August 1986)

The newsletter of the day can be read either way as August or at the general meeting on Feb. 8th..............So we will use Sam Welch's date as he was there :)

Sam

Staff member
Wow, you certainly have your hands full trying to get accurate dates.

I spoke with Barry today. He shipped the certificates back to me today, so I will be needing the list of names and dates along with addresses of the recipients so I can send them as I complete them. I certainly don't need the complete list now, because these are time intensive and will take a while to complete.

I still need to write the short blurb about the certificate that will be included with each piece, which I will post to you when I come up with it. Like it is 24k gold and should not be touched with your hands, etc. The cards I created for Gilded Age Greetings include a pair of white gloves because each card is re-gilded with gold, similar to our project but I think that might be a bit over the top for this. (see the video at www.gildedagegreetings.com)

I am curious as to how you found me for this project because I do not advertise at all.

Just do mine first! :D

Yes, I'm the one who discovered you! I did a lot of research online and your work was top flight and Andrew and I were convinced you have what it takes to make this vision become a reality. And you have exceeded our expectations!

Looking forward to seeing your blurb insert. I think that's a great idea, and people should know how to handle the certificate (and how NOT to). I would encourage them to have them framed with acid free archival components if they want to preserve it for future generations.

DM

Thank you for such kind words.
Sam, of course yours will be the first! I am expecting them tomorrow (friday) back from Barry.

DM

this is the insert that I would like to include.

FEGA blurb.jpg

This is the insert I would like to include with each certificate. Please edit if needed.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dan

The finished certificate looks amazing!!!!What can I say. It exceeds all expectations. Truly a work of timeless art.

The instruction insert looks great and reads perfectly thank you.

One thing I would perhaps add to it, with your approval is at the bottom add your signature and date.............If I were to receive and frame one of these I would put this on the back of the frame. I'm hoping that these will still be around long after we are all gone. It would be nice to think that there is also a trace of the artist that created the certificate along with the year they were crafted.

What do you think, Sam??

Sam

Staff member
Dan: I love my certificate and I really like what you've written! This is just amazing!

Yes, a quick signature at the bottom would be nice if it's not too much trouble. That's a nice touch from the brilliant artist that created our certificate.

Andrew: I think FEGA needs to drill it into their heads that this certificate merits proper archival framing. If some of the knuckleheads put it in a walmart frame they should be publicly flogged at the annual convention!

Andrew Biggs

I think FEGA needs to drill it into their heads that this certificate merits proper archival framing. If some of the knuckleheads put it in a walmart frame they should be publicly flogged at the annual convention!

Yes, I agree. I'll put something in the magazine about it as well.

Perhaps that should be emphasised on the accompanying insert...........something along the lines of "highly recommend that you get the certificate framed by a professional picture framer" or words to that effect.

Sam

Staff member
Yes, I agree. I'll put something in the magazine about it as well.

Perhaps that should be emphasised on the accompanying insert...........something along the lines of "highly recommend that you get the certificate framed by a professional picture framer" or words to that effect.

I'd be tempted to say that framing in non-archival way is simply a death sentence for this document.

DM

new blurb

FEGA blurb.jpg
Sam, your certificate was sent today via Priority mail. The tracking number is 13141410000057480180 and expected delivery date is Friday, 7/8/16

I used the insert without the current revised framing instructions but has my signature and date. I know you will handle it correctly.

This is the insert that will be used on all others. They are printed on a parchment type paper (of course).

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dan

Perfect thank you!!!!!! :) :)

Sam.......when it arrives could you please send me a photo of it unframed so I can put it in the FEGA Engraver magazine in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Sponsors