discussion. new perspective

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
sorry Mitch if the pics are to small I can e-mail them to you . best I can do with clay . never worked with it before so.... but I think it turned out ok. I couldn't get the drag and drop for the pics to work on my computer so I went another rout and think that's how they ended up small. Is there an easier way to post pics?

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
You may find it easier to use a web photo intermediary like Picasa to post pictures.

Bob

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
It's part of Google just type Picasa in your browser it should be the first hit.

Bob

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
photobucket.com also works well though I prefer to upload here direct from my computer.

PS...having them on this site allows you to check them via settings...attachments. One I posted some time back has been downloaded 930 times...information not available off site that I know about.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Jared-

I got your email with the photos and I must say you did very well! You rendered the folds, high & low areas, where edges roll over, etc., fairly accurately. You reversed the crease down the center of the main leaf into a ridge, but no harm, no foul- artistically, that works either way if you're designing it. I'll assume you could do a smoother, cleaner, more refined job if you took more time, but what I really wanted to see if YOU see is pretty much all there. good job! :thumbsup:

(i took the liberty of posting the shot that shows things best)

Attachments

• IMG_20130509_180610_684-1.jpg
    IMG_20130509_180610_684-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 84

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mitch . Yeah the centerline... to me it looked like a ridge from the shadows on the left side but, it would work either way. I probably could have spent hours on making it smooth and clean. But I figured u mainly wanted to see how I perceived your engraving . I had fun . Took me about 2 1/2 hours to do it. Had no clay tools, so i used paint brush handles in varying sizes .

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Ha . Just looked at engraving again . I see it now if I had played more attention to the direction of light I would have seen it was a crease ... thanks for the assignment

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a great assignment, Mitch! Makes me wonder if you shouldn't do this for the entire class :thinking:

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Wow! This has been one of the most interesting threads that I've read in a while. The discussions from newer to older engraver and back again, has been very illuminating. Congrats to Jared for being brave enough to see this project through to this point, and to Mitch for taking the roll of mentor. All while in this very public forum. As far as taking on Mitch's challenge, I think I'll pass at this time. ;)

John

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Lol. Well I do really appreciate what these fine seasoned engravers are trying to get in my thick head. And never back down from a learning experience. Take what you can from those willing to give.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Well, if it's open to the whole class, I'm game. What's the worst that can happen, total and complete humiliation in a public setting? Not having any clay though, I think I will try it in steel. Check back in a couple days....

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Well grstcowboy, go get you some clay. The point to this is to see how you see what he intended the engraving to look like if it were in a 3d model . To see if you understand and can translate the engraving. Best of luck too you

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
The amazing thing about this forum is that any beginning engraver can get on here and get advice and encouragement from world class engravers.

Stewart

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
The amazing thing is how many world class engravers are willing to give there hard earned knowledge...... for free.. .

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I hit the nail on the head when I predicted abject failure. This is the fourth attempt. Turns out that youthful enthusiasm does not trump experience or make up for an utter lack of skill. Oh well, I am learning and not giving up. Jared, why isn't anyone else participating?Could it be they all know how difficult this is? Picture 001.jpg

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I would figure that after over 2000 views that someone else would man up to the challenge. But o well, guess we are the only two that felt they needed to learning. Lol.... at least you put forth an effort. But don't give up.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I, like maybe some others here, am learning without posting my results. The exercise is very helpful in the effects of light and shadow and the 3-D effect on a flat medium. Although I have studied art in school, college and in the "real" world, every new technique presented for study is worthwhile for those open to them. Thank you all for posting your perspectives here. It helps even we "experienced" artists.

Bill

Sponsors