FEGA coat of arms thread

Andrew Biggs

Looks great thank you, Sam. It's exactly how I envisioned it to be. Fan-Bloody-Tactic!!!!!!

I like the font you have used as well because it fills the space and looks appropriate.

By the time this is coloured in it will look a million dollars. The thing I really like about it is that it will look just as good in a 100 years from now as it's a timeless design :)

As soon as it's done I will start drawing up all the 2017 flyers, brochures and advertising/marketing material with the new Masters crest...........Plus send it off to Bill for the web site etc etc.

It will be officially launched in the next FEGA Engraver magazine.................I'll have to think about this but maybe even have it on the cover. Now that would be a first :) :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glad you like :) Let's talk about colors. What do you have in mind for the banners and scrolls, etc.? Keep in mind that not all colors work well with shading lines. I wasn't sure what else got colored besides the tools and shield. Eagles are black & white so I assume there's not much to do there.

Andrew Biggs

We have some choices with colours.

If you go to the FEGA website home page you'll see both logos together (left hand side)

We have been using the burgundy with white lettering on the roundall.................So we could stick with that. It works well with the golden shield and creates a point of difference. But burgundy doesn't lend itself to subtle colour shading.

Or we could stick with the royal blue with white lettering to keep continuity with the FEGA logo. Which works equally as well with the golden shield. The only problem with that is it all starts to blend in together and again, doesn't lend itself to subtle colour shading.

Or we could go for yellow ribbons with black lettering. At least with gold you have an opportunity to add some subtle ochre shading into the banners............What do you think.?????

The scroll/acanthus would definitely be shades of green.

The Eagle........the eye and beak and claws can be coloured......................when the logo is reduced in size, the black line shading will make it look grey anyway.

This logo will essentially be in 3 sizes and mediums.........Web sites.very small Eg. forum, FEGA site etc etc. (60 -120 pixels) Printing, small to medium (30 to 50 mm), printing on business cards, flyers etc. and large on signage (100mm - 300mm) which has to be all replaced for the next show.

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-12.jpg

Moving right along :cool:

I'll also do a gradient behind the upper wing feathers. They're too white as is. Some other tweaks coming as well (eagle's beak).

Is that green ok with you Andrew?

Andrew Biggs

Mmmmmm.........I'm not sure that the blue works

I think yellow would work better by the looks of it.

The blue is also affecting the green acanthus so it will be interesting seeing the effect of yellow on the leaves.

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-13.jpg

Yellow/gold banners, yellow beak, few tweaks.

So far this is 100% vector in Illustrator. Once we nail down the colors I might do some airbrush tweaking in photoshop.

DM

Such incredible work! Looking at both and compared to the blue, the yellow seems somewhat washed out, whereas the blue looks more aggressive, and has a feeling of more energy. The shield almost gets lost being the same yellow as the banners.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for your input, Dan. As for the shield, I did use a gradient fill in the last one which has a highlight in the center, making it somewhat lighter. In the shield with the blue banners the center part of the shield has no highlight. I like the blue as well. Andrew is a real pro and signwriter by trade and he sees things through a signwriter's eyes which is good.

There are so many color options but we'll get it nailed down soon and you can get started.

As for your requirements, what can I provide to you to assist in getting this onto the certificate? I can give you a colorless version, full color, or whatever you need.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, the yellow looks a bit insipid.

The blue looks a lot stronger. And the green with it looks great.

It's funny how these things work. When you see something in your minds eye but the reality is different.

Just to satisfy my curiosity......would it be possible to see a burgundy banner please with white lettering.

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-16.jpg

fega_certificate_logo-15.jpg

Two more for your viewing pleasure :biggrin:

I did a slight mod to the FEGA gold letters which is different from the previous versions. If we go with gold I think it looks good this way.

Andrew Biggs

Great work thanks, Sam . Really appreciated.

I think yellow is out. So that leaves blue and burgundy.

I've put in different backgrounds that are commonly used in our advertising, magazine, web site etc etc.

I'm leaning towards the blue (but also like the burgundy)............what do you guys think?????? Colour is always the most difficult thing to choose :)

One thing that is clear with the reduces size is that the wording "Master Engraver" somehow needs to be bigger as it starts getting lost when it's smaller.

Attachments

• Crest-ideas.jpg
    Crest-ideas.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 8

Andrew Biggs

And here is the rough sizing for the web. It's about as small as we would want to go.

I've played around with a white background to the crest area and don't particularly like it.

Attachments

• Crest-ideas-2.jpg
    Crest-ideas-2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 9

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-17.jpg

It's a tough choice. I like 'em both but tend to like blue more, but blue's one of my fav colors anyway. Maybe we should have the wives look at them?

I enlarged MASTER ENGRAVER and did a crosshatch pattern in the shield. Not sure I like it...just wanted to try it.

Abigail likes blue but says red is more regal and maybe stands out better if it's not on a red background. On a red background blue's a better choice she says.

Scaled down to a really small size, MASTER ENGRAVER will have to be solid letters without gradients, or maybe even a different style to make them clear and readable.

Andrew Biggs

Hah!!!!!!!...............What Abigail says is exactly what Mary said as well :) :) :)

I can always put a white outline around the burgundy when on a burgundy background. That's what I do with the current logo.

I actually quite like the cross hatching. It'll disappear on small items but look good on the big prints like signage etc.

Could you do one more thing for me please...........put Master engraver at the top and FEGA at the bottom so we can see how that looks

Andrew Biggs

This is where the rubber meets the road on anything like this. We are nearly there and it's now just the fine tuning and trying to look at it 20 different ways.

Yes, the small web versions are problematic. Especially when they get really small like on the Cafe forum signatures.

But we could have two versions When the colours are finally decided.

1. Detailed for print media and large web graphics.

2. A stripped down version with a lot of the shading taken out.........this would work well for small web graphics.

And I have to admit that I'm leaning more to the burgundy now

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-18.jpg

Yep, I'll have to make a special small version. No worries there.

Here ya go with the wording switched. I also made the top banner a bit taller to accommodate two lines of lettering. There are some rough spots and missing shade lines. I didn't want to spend any time than necessary until we nail down a final.

I think I'm leaning toward burgundy as well. I've learned to listen to Abigail as she's got great instincts with this sort of thing! :D

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for your patience with this.

I'm never sold on double lines of lettering on ribbons. It just never looks right.

Just one last request and then it will be decision time.

Can you put the lettering Master Engraver in one line and make the text taller by distorting/stretching it a bit. Do this for Master Engraver on the top line and the bottom line.

The FEGA text looks good on the top and bottom ribbons so it is only the Master Engraver bit that needs nailing down.

Then we will make a collective decision

Oh yeah........tonight I caught a 10b salmon down at the Waimakariri River which is a 25 minute drive from our place. 1st one for the season. :) :)