FEGA coat of arms thread

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-19.jpg

I think this one might be the best compromise, Andrew. I tried stretching the type but it looked like crap and a mismatch with FEGA dimensions.

The top banner is longer and I think it accommodates MASTER ENGRAVER better than the bottom one. Tell me what you think.

Congrats on the salmon!! Did you grill it?

Andrew Biggs

Yes, I think this is the best one for the lettering etc. The balance is as good as it gets. :)

The only other thing we need is the small "1981" underneath the vise. That brings the whole shield in line with the FEGA shield.

I have to say that it looks fantastic!!!! 10 out of 10!!!

And I have to say it's been a real pleasure working with you on this project. And thank you for drawing it all up in the digital format. My computer skills are not up to it :)

When you are ready and have finished with any last minute tinkering................. could you please send it through to me via e-mail

Also, Could you please send me the separate elements for the shield so I can use them on the FEGA shield in the future.

The fish.....will be grilled tonight. :)

Andrew Biggs

And could you also send me a plain black and white copy as well please.........for some of the smaller printing I will just have plain white lettering so it can be read easier.

Sam

Staff member
fega_small_coat-of-arms-test3.jpg

Thanks Andrew! The pleasure is mine :D

I will make add the date and make a few tweaks.

Here's a 200px version I've made in photoshop. The green scrolls turn to mush so this is what I came up with that looks good at that size.

Andrew Biggs

Looks great!!!

When you've completed everything I'll send it through to the BOD for the final seal of approval and announce/launch it all in the next magazine

Barry and I are working on the FEGA Master Engraver stamp. We've nailed it down except Barry wants to tinker a bit to make it look like the old stamps/proof marks, that were used. Essentially it's the shield with FME in it. Simple and basic that can be hand drawn and cut easily. That way we don't need to worry about stamp size..............Maybe even get Dan to incorporate it somewhere in the certificate very small and discreet. That way we have all the iconography covered.

I've contacted Lee Griffiths about his idea for a card for the Masters that they can give clients with name, date, projects, signature etc. It will be in two sizes. Postcard and business card size............So I'm just waiting for Lee to get back to me with wording and a few more specifics..

I've even thought of getting the Masters crest that you have drawn made into 3D shields like the armed services have............but that can wait and I need to cost it out.

So all in all things are rattling along nicely and by the time Dan has finished the certificate we will have some good things going. :)

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
All sounds great, Andrew! Exciting stuff. I'll try to tie the ribbons on this today.

For cards I would encourage you to have them letterpress printed on archival card stock. Do that and they'll look great 100 years from now.

The crest would make a nice ring!

~S

DM

You guys have made great progress on this. I love the finished look. When all is approved, I'll need a color and black and white image of all the elements you want in the certificate.
Thanks

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-FINAL-1.jpg

FINAL

I could tweak this for hours. Like they say, you never finish artwork...you only abandon it.

This has some airbrushing and highlighting in photoshop.

Andrew Biggs

Thank you Sam

Love the highlights......but I'm not sure about the airbrushed background. I prefer the sharp contrast between foreground and background. It makes the whole design nice and crisp

I'll take this to the BOD now and get their approval which shouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah........this afternoon we are off to Australia for 10 days for my mothers 90th birthday.

Sam

Staff member
fega_certificate_logo-FINAL-2.jpg

Here it is with the glow removed on the background. I also did a bit of black shadowing behind the scrolls to make them stand out. I can turn this off if it's not good. I think it makes it pop a little more.

Have fun in Oz!

Andrew Biggs

20 out of 10 thank you, Sam. The extra black does make it pop!!!

the only thing I can suggest is that it be darker in the bends of the ribbon shadows...other than that, it's perfect.

I've informed the BOD and getting positive feedback so we are all a go!!!! :) :)

I'm still contactable in Oz. Just restricted to wi-fi when I'm at my brothers house. So I can still communicate. It will just be a bit sparse

Andrew Biggs

Way cool.

The only thing with the greyscale version is that I would make the lettering plain white as it will stand out better. Without colour it blends in to much with the ribbons

Andrew Biggs

Looking great so far thanks Sam

The white lettering certainly stands out better.

The greyscale will only be used on printing photocopy documents where colour isn't needed. So 99% it will be in colour.

My replies over the next few days may be a bit patchy. We are in Australia now and going to mums tomorrow for a few days and I'm unsure of her internet access

Sam

Staff member
Saving small images from Photoshop works better than from Illustrator. Just figured that out.

Congratulations and happy 90th! Give her a hug for me!