Workbench thread

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario,

Now there is a working man!!

If you want to see my bench, just go to your local dump yard. You will get the idea.

I have a memory like an elephant (.......er...........or I used to). I know right where I lay it down, and if I can't find it, I have another one where I can. I spend very little time looking for tools.

You probably wouldn't be able to identify anything on my bench. You probably wouldn't even to be able to identify it as a bench.

After 40+ years of collecting tools, you would be amazed. I can always tell the..........er herumph..... realworking engravers by their benches. HaHaHa

You guys have way too much time on your hands.............HaHaHaha

Am I doing something wrong?????:)

Once a slob, always a slob I guess........buttt Iyee ngrave purtey, and fayest too!............That's Texan talk........... You guys just haven't got enough tools!!!!!!!!

HaHaHaha

There you guys are so spick and span, and here I am where the ----hit the fan...................:eek: :)

Thirty more years of collecting and your bench will look more like mine I bet....................:eek:

.....................but I'm not going to show you mine. Nan-a-nan-a-na na.

Imagine this. 40 years of stuff crammed into a small bedroom. Hey.......looks like a museum!!

Ron S

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Well you have all seen mine but here it is again for the sake of this thread. It has become the center of attention around my house. Especially for my two teen age granddaughters. They are amazed by it.
My bench is very basic but I will expand it in the future.

Attachments

• Macks new bench 002.jpg
    Macks new bench 002.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,452

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
...Your bench picture has the quality of a still life painting.
It is called HDRI with tonemapping. I take it for a Christmas countdown calendar (filled with chocolate) as a "give away" for our customers next year.
EDIT: If you like this, have a look here. I took a picture from a flys head in that technik - looks funny.

If you want to see my bench, just go to your local dump yard. You will get the idea.
I don't believe a word :)

I have a memory like an elephant (.......er...........or I used to).
Ron, perhaps you have forgotten more about engraving than i ever can learn about it! Sometimes when sitting over a practiseplate, i think about that. It's a bit soul-destroying, you know. But at the same time, i try a bit harder. So lets see where i am in twenty jears...

After 40+ years of collecting tools, you would be amazed.
This one i am believing (you see, i pick up the best from your words :) )

Imagine this. 40 years of stuff crammed into a small bedroom. Hey.......looks like a museum!!
My partners family have a long tradition beeing goldsmiths: she is the seventh generation. They do that since 1767! This is a long time and we are lucky to have a lot of tools still. I don't like "toolwar" because it is the hand and the brain, that makes a good or a bad work. On the other hand off course i love fine tools like most people here. So here are some pictures from that place, where i am "living":

Attachments

• workshop_1.jpg
    workshop_1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,333
Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Roger i am sorry, none of them left. There was two World Wars between... The oldest tools i know only a hundret years old.

Last edited:

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I used an old wooden desk(free), and cut the top to receive the turntable. As I sit deep within the table, I can rest my elbows on the desktop. Very fatigue free setup.
I can also bring the turntable up level with the table top to slide the LeTourneau ball to one side. I picked it up once too many times.

This adjustable height base is all plywood except for the jack screw and the drawer slides. I can adjust the height of the work to the scope, so I am not constantly changing scope height and then chair height. I can actually focus the scope with the handwheel under the turntable.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great stuff Mario...your helper is exceptionally cute!

Nice setup Tom. Looks like it functions well.

Peter

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chip away guys, but a complete craftsman's shop is a thing to behold and you could spend a day explaining what everything is for. Polishing is something I learned at the very first and by the time you get all of the stuff that goes with finishing, you got a mess of stuff.

Rock on! Ain't it fun??

Ron S

cwbyengraver

Here are a couple of pictures of two workbenches the one covers a whole wall thats the one I just got done building for my wife its cherry with a clear finish. I still have to build a leaf between the two fold down tables to use as a large work table for sewing. The other is a chopped up office desk I am still trying to get the feel right before I build one plus every time I start planning it I see a post for another good idea. I was just informed we should redo the kitchen first. well thats what I get for letting her look over my shoulder.

Attachments

• workbench 011.jpg
    workbench 011.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,373
  • workbench 012.jpg
    workbench 012.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • workbench 013.jpg
    workbench 013.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,408
  • workbench 015.jpg
    workbench 015.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,540

Boris

I love looking at these work areas, being somewhat of a "tool freak." I envy your skills as engravers, since what little I do, could be called more like "chasing." I restore and rebuild mostly antique lighting, which has an abundant amount of design and filigree. Lot of times the metal work is broken along with the glass, and requires new castings, which have to be soldered or brazed into the original parts, and the joining areas have to be re-cut in flowers, scrolls or scenes to match the adjoining sides. I use a set of antique "Muller" hand gravers for this, and rotary tools. Looking at all these wonderfull tools may force me to upgrade, and maybe try some real engraving.

My little shop does not look as fancy as some of these spectacular displays, which make me drool. Mine is not specialized, and is setup for doing or making anything one can imagine in glass or metals. I guess one could call it a "Craftsmans Shop" since it has everything from a stakeplate, and forming stakes, to a Smithy Lathe, Mill, and Drill. It would take hours to list the tooling, but there is no craft Hobby I can think of, that can not be done, be it glass engraving, woodcarving, stone faceting, lapidary work, stained glass work, glass casting and fusing, copper and tin forming and rolling, welding, soldering and brazing, and metal casting. Add any hand tool you can think of, and thats my little "Hobby SHop" shop of all trades.

Thanks for posting all those nice photos.

One more workbench from Sweden

Attachments

• Resize of Workbench1.jpg
    Resize of Workbench1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Resize of Workbench2.jpg
    Resize of Workbench2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,502
That is one cool bench! What's that made of, some sort of hospital equipment?

Tanks!
The bench is made of a sit-stand office-table and the top is made of one inch oak.
Its electric adjustable through a maneuver button on the left side to the vise.
That means that I always can have a god sitting position.
And adjust the workbench after how I sit.
Also my body is happy after a long day of work.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Here's my bench in our little 1 room apartment. Things that see less use are piled on another table :).

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,505

Sponsors