What's Your Favorite Engraving Accessory??

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I knew there had to be a solution to the cold vise problem. Thanks for posting this Mr. Morales!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tool Microscope

Some of you have seen this if you were at the Engrave-In when we did tool show'n tell. It is called a tool microscope or pocket microscope. They are the size of a pen and usually have a pocket clip. I have two old ones that are aluminum. One with a scale on the lens and the other without. You can't get them anymore. I finally found one at Harbor Freight but they don't list them on their web site anymore so I found the following link on the net.

I use this device everytime I sharpen a graver. It is 25X and allows you to see your tip in high detail. You can see any chips, scratches or burs and if the heel is perfectly even. If you engrave with a scope it may not be necessary because you can look at the tip under the scope but I don't like to change the focus so it is easier for me to use the litle pocket scope instead.

There is no adjustable focus on these things. You just put the tip of the graver against the edge and it is in focus. Very simple and quick to use.

Harbor Freight had them for 8 bucks but the one on line is $10. If I lost mine I would pay $50. to get it back.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/ultra-sl...gle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=usfroogle

RB

Attachments

• Tool microscope.jpg
    Tool microscope.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 167

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew,

My little pride is this engravers block that served as a CNC vise before its reincarnation. As You can see, it is a robust piece, heavier and lower then my GRS block, the vise length is 4" and the max opening also 4". It works fine with the larger pieces as rifle receivers. To make it real, in a machine shop I had it enhanced with the space to sink in the ball bearings, so now it rotates the same or better then his GRS sibling.

Greetings - Ivan

Attachments

• blocks.jpg
    blocks.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 216
  • block.jpg
    block.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know I'm repeating myself but I still like my computer - even better since I've added one right on my bench so I can not only pull up references like some of the fine examples posted here, electronic copies of books on engraving, but I can also run Pandora to have music while I work.

Lynda Schreck

I'm with Andrew on this one. Thermoloc solves a lot of problems in a hurry.

"Old engravers never die the just get dull."

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a DIXON #2

So if a #2 pencil is the most popular pencil, how come it's still only a #2 ?????????

OK how about then the sharp knife to sharpen the #2 pencil? Would that then qualify as an accessory?? We do not use pencil sharpeners

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry boys and girls it is the Staedtler 925 in .03 and .05 with various lead hardnesses (#2, HB and as hard as you can find) the Staedtler 924 .02 black micro roller ball pen, the Staedtler Mars plastic eraser pencil, an eraser shield, Velum (lots of it) and most important PERSEVERANCE and PRACTICE.--Fred

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, You made me laugh right out loud-THANKS I needed it. Still laughing trying to post every time i look at the screen I think I will make it my wall paper on this computer Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors