What's Your Favorite Engraving Accessory??

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
slope: it's beyond scary ! unsafe in there at night ! the exterminating company wont even go in there !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been thinking about it and I believe my current favorite engraving accessory is my computer because it brings me here.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
QC hammer handle

This little aluminum 'handle' is useful for working under the scope, especially when undercutting, and there ain't much room for a long tool, nor for swingin' a hammer.

I don't need to make new handled tools just for use with the hammer, I just grab what I need out of the rack, already sharpened,ready to rock.

Tom

Made of 3/8 aluminum round stock, with a 1/4" (.250") reamed hole. Note that there is no 'key' to lock the tool from rotating in the handle, but it has not been an issue, as the o-ring of the QC holder fixes the bit quite well.

Attachments

• DSC_9765.jpg
    DSC_9765.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_9766.jpg
    DSC_9766.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Sawing under the scope

Provided you have enough room, this board is great for sawing under magnification. I can engrave my design first, then cut right along the lines.

Attachments

• DSC_9776.jpg
    DSC_9776.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC_9768.jpg
    DSC_9768.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 401

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
The right touch

Some days, and you never tell which or why. First thing in the morning my hands are dried out and the
graver slips in them. I tried using Gold Bond Hand lotion and Vaseline intensive care but then graver slips
around in them because of the grease in the lotions.

My wife had given me a can of Badger as stocking stuffer for Christmas fours years ago and I duly threw
it in the tool box in the drawer for stuff I don't use at the moment. Well last month I had had it with
the other lotions and gave the Badger a try.

At first I didn't think it was any good because it was really tacky. Then I thought about it and coated two
fingers tips and then rubbed it in. Vigorously!!
First off, it creates a lot of heat which get the blood moving, next the Badger left a slight
tacky feel to my hands that just perfect for holding a graver. Just coating two finger means the Can should last about five years.

Just in case, I going to have dinner at the Cracker Barrel Restraint and get another can or so.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Attachments

• Badger1a.jpg
    Badger1a.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom it's twice as clever as the first.
And your piercing looks good.
Kevin P.

It's weird but I like hand piercing at almost eye level.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I'd say Tom Curran is most essential to my engraving- nice to have an ace machinist and engraver as a chum!

Hahahaaaaaa

I just fell off my chair. You're welcome, Cloudy.

It's nice to have someone who brings light and good energy into my life. Cheers!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some clever gadgets and technigues in this thread.

Jim - I'm thinking the Badger must be a lot like what they call "bag balm" around here. It is VERY thick and tacky but once applied works well for dry, cracked skin problems.

Some years ago, a friend put some in a film vial for me to try and it has lasted for years!

I think farmers use it for various issues that occur with cows and horses:big grin:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tell you the tool I wish I had. I relish the day I could afford a secretary to answer the phone, do the paperwork and keep me organized so I could get some cutting done.

Ya I know its a pipe dream. If I only had one, they would be the most cherished resource in my studio:big grin:

Ray

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ray,
So, you couldn't talk the wife into doing it for free or maybe in trade. Maybe you should
polish your pitch line a little more. Of course if she read the café also, there's no hope
at all.

Jim

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Some clever gadgets and technigues in this thread.

Jim - I'm thinking the Badger must be a lot like what they call "bag balm" around here. It is VERY thick and tacky but once applied works well for dry, cracked skin problems.

Some years ago, a friend put some in a film vial for me to try and it has lasted for years!

I think farmers use it for various issues that occur with cows and horses:big grin:

Hi Peter,
Bag balm is for cow udders, to keep them soft between milking. Badger isn't exactly the same thing.
It's made by a guy that raises bees and thus has bees wax in it.

The reason he called it, Badger was because of the Paul Bunyon story, "Give me enough Badgers , and I
can heal the cracks in the Grand Canyon". I'm not real clear on the Badger thing but Balm works well.

I found it's sort of like a baseball batter coating his hands with pine rosin, just not as sticky as rosin.

If you'd like to know more: http://www.badgerbalm.com/

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No Jim I'm afraid that would not work out. I would kinda like to stay married.

As much as I hate that kind of work, she hates it infinitely more. :big grin:

Ray

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Well, it is the 21st Century and the next generation of computer is dew out in August
for back to school sales. Maybe one will do the books and take take shirts to the
dry cleaners just by push of a button.

Till then, I guess you and me will be doing the books. Which I have to get back to. Ugh.:beerchug:

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This little brass plate I made up is pretty much indispensable. I double tape or hot glue knives, practice plates or whatever to it and clamp the 1/4" square bar that's silver soldered to the bottom in the vise. It sits flat every time and I can slide it in the vise to re-position as needed.

It's the plate above the mandolin tailpiece cover that has a mock up of the Gibson engraved on it and silver plated. I used it as something to practice on before I cut the real one.

Attachments

• Ellis 25 USL.jpg
    Ellis 25 USL.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 395

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are on low budget, and putting a working system together, here are three bench-top suggestions:

For about $7 from 'Ikea' you can buy this 'lazy susan' rotating wood platter which works well, and a real bargain:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483

Drill holes to take GRS or Lindsay gravers, etc., it will spin nicely to let you select your desired tool.

Even if you have a ring light on your scope, for flat lighting, it is good to have a directional fluorescent light as well, but those darn articulated mounting anglepoise arms can be awkward, and may not be needed much while taking up bench space.

Again, from Ikea, buy an angle poise lamp of this style for about $18:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10018561

Yes, it is an anglepoise lamp, but throw away the anglepoise, and keep just the lamp with its power ac adaptor. Since I own a small ball vice as well as a large one, I clamp the sawn off lamp in the small ball vise (if I am not using it) to make a useful lamp holder that moves 360 degrees and with tilt plus rotate. See this on picture no 2. I know, I know, this must be the most expensive lamp base ever! But no need to use a ball vise, just a few pieces of wood will mount this lamp and let it swivel and tilt, and with the minimum of bench top room needed.

Photo 3 is a set of machinists ground hard steel blocks at, $17 a pair from Grizzley: sorry about the long link!

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G

These blocks are great for holding flat work like practice plates ... a little super glue or your chice of adhesive gets you up and running real fast. Te blocks have holes, some of which are threaded so a few 3/8 set screws in the holes will allow you to pop the finished plate off the block, but usually a crew driver levered into one of the holes does it in a second ....if, the plate is 1/16 or heavier, so don't bend your finished work by accident. being hard steel, you may scape old glue from the surface with an old wood chisel, with harm to the blocks.

If you are really cash strapped and want the worlds cheapest rotating work holder, use that Lazy Susan to screw a $10 drill press vise onto, mount your work and start engraving ... not hammer and chisel, but push graving on softer metals like silver or copper.

Rod

Attachments

• DSC07092.jpg
    DSC07092.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC07093.jpg
    DSC07093.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 335
  • g5642.jpg
    g5642.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Although I have several favorites (depending on the duties of the day),here's one of mine:
A steel post for engraving/inlaying grip screws for 1911 style auto pistols.
It's just a steel rod,about 2 1/2" long, drilled and tapped for the thread size.
To avoid slippage,I've ground a flat spot (not shown) on one side to engage the "V" notch in the vise jaws.

Attachments

• screwpost1.jpg
    screwpost1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 219
  • screwpost2.jpg
    screwpost2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 214
  • screwpost3.jpg
    screwpost3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 231

Niranjan

i feel the most favorite accessory has to be a comfortable table and chair. if that's not comfortable then it doesn't matter what tool you got, it just doesn't seem to blend in.

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
These are two "Favs". I use some 3M foam tape on my vice where my hand holds it. It's GREAT during the winter! I also use it on my Monarch since the finish is so slick, it really helps the grip. The other is a bullet casing cut down, then use it as a cookie cutter to make 2-3 leather pads for it. Then saturate, but not soak, with favorite oil such as Tap magic aluminum. The leather will lightly oil the tip without making a drip on your work. If you're feeling Macho, use a .45 casing instead of the .38 Spl I used. ;{ )

Latest posts

Sponsors