What's Your Favorite Engraving Accessory??

Andrew Biggs

Just for a bit of fun I thought I'd show you two of my essential engraving accessories.

That magic mushroom in the vise is a block of wood with a big blob of Thermo Loc on top. Now it doesn't look like much but I tell you this thing is worth it's weight in pure gold. It lifts the work above the vise so your hand doesn't get caught on the edges of the vise. You can tilt it to any angle to accommodate weird shapes and awkward angles. It takes any odd shape you can think of and is absolutely perfect for watch cases, bezels and backs. It even hold small buckles that are attached to straps. The wooden block is 45mm in diameter and took me all of 10 minutes to make and it's rough as guts..............as you can see. :)

The other item is the manky looking toothbrush. This little sucker is used all the time for cleaning off metal shavings and abrasive residue plus any other crud that finds it way onto the vise and work............the yellow ones work better than any other colour :)

So......................what is your favorite "Can't do without" accessory?

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Accessories.jpg
    Accessories.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 838

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think mine is quite similar. But instead of using the Thermo Loc on top, I use some setters cement on this mini ball vise as that glues better. And as I use the Black and Decker hair-dryer, :big grin: because I found out that is better recentre the object to engrave to be able to engrave smooth tendrils and scrolls. The hair-dryer I bought second hand when I was on a holiday in France for 10 euro helps a lot.

Attachments

• DSC00715.jpg
    DSC00715.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 659

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is mine. I made this beat up thing 20 years ago and it keeps on ticking. I have several size holes to fit common #6 and #8 screws as well a larger ones. If there is an odd size, I just reverse one of the jaws and use a 1/2 round. It is only about 3/4" deep so if I need to do the end of a screw, the head will clear as well.
If I was to make another I might use some sort of plastic now. I just has some oak handy when I made this.
Rex

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 623

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Geez, Andrew,

For a second there I thought it was a set of false teeth and toothbrush sitting in your vise (hee hee!) Hmm, come to think of it, I've done a few jobs that were sorta like pulling teeth............

WL

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Let it sit out at least 24 hours and a glass or two is invaluable for certain design challenges.:big grin: Rex and Andrew, I'm going to make me a couple like yours. Good ideas.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF2565.jpg
    Copy of DSCF2565.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 614

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I'm going make up one of those for myself. I'll probably try Arnaud's 'setter's cement' also to see if one is better than the other
For another holding device I use a piece of MDF and stick glue and a paint gun for melting. It works well for flat surfaces and is quick and clean.
Kevin P.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I don't know Gail ... magic mushrooms, rotten milk and a greeeezy sausage (dipped in an ash tray...might as well)?

and an ativan daily before any cutting begins.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Essentials

Here is a photo of a couple of my favorite essential tools. Can you see the frog in the pic? It was carved by Victor Vasquez. The other picture is a pair of spur earrings. 14K white and 18K rose.

Attachments

• DSCF0873.jpg
    DSCF0873.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 422
  • DSCF0880.jpg
    DSCF0880.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my main bench. built on the principle of strength, size, and expandability. has 18 drawers and 4 shelves, + ample storage space underneath- or more drawers or shelves could be added. it currently holds a computerized engraving machine, complete computer system, a scanner, zoom scope, 6 reams of paper, books, asst. tools, as well as pantograph machine accessories. also trash, garbage, refuse, rubbish, and things that crawl around under the bench after dark ! this is just a partial view of the beast.

Attachments

• BENCH.jpg
    BENCH.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say Tom Curran is most essential to my engraving- nice to have an ace machinist and engraver as a chum!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
kevin: i do all essentiial planning & design outside. she only allows me in the house to "cut". she says i have too much junk, and not enough money. duh !

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk, I am going to have nightmares now that I have seen what can happen to a work bench. Just plain looks scary. Leonard, those spur earrings sure look fine. Cool stuff. Seth