What makes a "Master"

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Open mouth insert foot

OK, my wife is gone and I have had a bit too much brandy to restrain my better judgment on this subject.
The American way to achieving the master title not the European way.
In the USA the only way you can hold the title of master is to ignore the “rules” and take it by proving that you earned it.
I am one of those who boldly used the title Master Engraver on my business card and I can say to you that it was a great help in my engraving career.
I served my first apprenticeship under Ken Hurst cutting practice plates all day and trying to understand the construction of a scroll by drawing them over and over trying to understand the rhythm and rhyme of their construction at night. It was not easy to learn and Ken Hurst is a good teacher.
It was at this time that FEGA was being formed and several of us working under Ken’s supervision joined as founding members. Shortly after applying for membership I received the forms from Bob Evans in my mail.
I recall one question on the form.” What are your goals as an engraver?” My answer was the only obvious one to me.” To become the best engraver in the world”. I mean why strive for half way?
When Ken Hurst told me that I was good enough to engrave a real gun instead of practice plates it was a milestone in my life.
However, I was a man on a journey and this was a starting point that would lead me to the very heart of the fine art gun engraving Mecca of the world.
I left Ken and went to Italy for more training, and it also was not easy. I served an eight month apprenticeship at Cesare Giovanelli’s school of engraving. When my schooling was completed I returned to the U.S.A. then went to work for USRAC.
I was hired as their master engraver for the Winchester Custom Shop; though I had not begun to achieve my full potential as a gun engraver I had the title. During my employ with them I returned to Italy one more time for another month of study on gold inlay and sculpted relief.
One of the last comments from my teacher on my departure was “It doesn’t matter how good you are if no one know of you” on my return I rejoined FEGA then went to my first meeting in Tulsa.
At this meeting I introduced myself as Joseph, Master Engraver, a title that I felt I deserved. From the reaction of the members I thought that I had said the F word.
The Guild did not approve of the term “Master Engraver.”
After one year at the Company vise. I went freelance and my first business cards read “Joseph Hand Engraver” in difference to Guild rules.
I entered my first Guild show and my work took runner up as best engraved weapon... It was another notch in my gun engraving career and added a couple of hat sizes to my ego.
Gun engraving pays very well in the USA. Unlike Europe were most engravers are contracted to major firms and stay there until they retire.
Here there are many more possibilities of earning freelance wages that justify the quality of ones work.
In America success comes to those who bust their butts to achieve it. And I wanted to achieve my share of success and I was no going to wait on luck.
Recognition as an engraver on a national scale means using every honest advantage to advertising your skills.
It was at this point that my new business card read Joseph Master Engraver and Sculptor in disregard of FEGA rules when I did their shows. My card was on the table in front of the work which spoke for itself. The response from the BOD was about as nice as a tooth ache but that was their problem. I was not going to change my business card to read Professional Hand Engraver.
I am glad for the young engravers that FEGA has modified its “Master” policy. Now there is a goal for them to strive for. As difficult as Gun engraving is the new engravers need all the incentive possible. There! that should put a hex this post. Sorry Chris,but I had to have last word.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
How about...................

The Most Humble And Honorable Order Of The Fidelis Firearms Engravers Guild Of America Master Engravers............or TMHAHOOTFFEGAME for short. It does have a certain ring to it and just rolls off the tongue..........and it would look good on the cover of the Engraver magazine :)

Cheers
Andrew

It would be the cover! :)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
How about...................

The Most Humble And Honorable Order Of The Fidelis Firearms Engravers Guild Of America Master Engravers............or TMHAHOOTFFEGAME for short. It does have a certain ring to it and just rolls off the tongue..........and it would look good on the cover of the Engraver magazine :)

Cheers
Andrew

It would be the cover! :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't see any way it could be applied to engraving, but years ago a met a man that hung a shingle depicting himself as a "Master" woodcarver.

I was in his shop looking to have a custom coffee table made. He handed me a book about 3" thick and said he could make anything I desired. His joinery included no nails.

As we were conversing, he was making eye contact with me while carving a solid mahogany leg to a Chippendale styled side chair. I then asked him "what denotes a master woodcarver"? His definition was that he considered himself a "master" woodcarver when his hands knew what to do without needing to think about what they were doing!

That was many years ago and I can still visualize him carving that ball and claw leg as he looked me in the eye and answered my questions.

Latest posts

Sponsors