Undoing a lettering engraving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As you probably know the PUK3 is my favourite devise I use for welding Titanium.

I was asked to remove the engraving from the back of a quite expensive watch (AudemarPiguet) so that it had more value when sold second hand.

The gold only had a thickness of 0.5 mm and sure no option to remove the serial number etc.

Filling the engraving with gold solder would have made a different colour, so I used the PUK3 to spot weld the engraving the way I kind of moved the surrounded gold, after that I used Chris stones, to make it flat enough. I only lost a 0.1 mm of the thickness, finishing it with sandpaper.

Sure the watch now has more value and look like new.

arnaud

Jesse Kaufman

Absolutely Beautifully done Arnaud. I have watched some of the utube vidoes on how these best quality items are made. A big job to say the least and you certainly did a fine job. Congrats. Jesse

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is truly impressive, Arnaud!

Seeing is believing.

Will your laser welder work with wood, I want to eliminate the "Stardavari" name on my violin, to make it more valuable ?

best

Rod

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, there are ones here that are better with wood than I am. :cool:

Not trying to adjust your spelling, but isn't it "Stradivarius?" I know two letters more, so sure a more expensive job. :biggrin:

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great job Arnaud, and making the right choice for not soldering, it would have given colour difference.
I am surprized about how invisible the old engraving is, will keep it in mind
Thanks for sharing this and all the things you share with us :tiphat:
Willem

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
As a watch dealer, I think the value of this watch has been significantly lowered, not raised. Despite the fact that the original inscription does not seem appealing. Approximately 20% of the thickness has been removed. The factory stampings are noticeably less deep. A knowledgeable person would see this right away. If I was offered this watch, I would factor in the cost of a new back from Audemars, which would be in the thousands. (Euros or dollars)

On a watch like this a good job is not good enough. It has to be pretty much perfect, and even if it costs four times a good job, the reseller or collector is better off.

If if could not be laser filled with 18k gold (not solder) that matches the color of the case, and no sign on the inside of the case back that it was worked on, and next to no weight removed from the case, it should have been left alone.

This is how knowledgeable dealers and collectors feel, not just my feelings.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ding it up just a tiny bit , like its been in a pocket or two, not even mr scott will know..,

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would say your fix is as close to perfect as it gets, Arnaud. In fact I think it's quite remarkable. I won't get into the you-should or you-shouldn't discussion because I'm not a collector or watch dealer. From my perspective you did as instructed by your client, and you did it very, very well.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I do a lot of work for antique dealers and personalized engraving is widely considered a total deal breaker. I remove engraving all the time from antiques as the dealers know it will greatly increase saleability. In some cases removing engraving can take a piece from scrap gold value to good "used" condition. The engraving is more of a detraction to the value and appearance than anonymous "wear" on the back. However there are areas where tampering with "history" or integrity begins to detract. I assume this is a newer piece being dated "2000" so I would figure in this case it was a plus to the resale value.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam.
Yes indeed the "you-should or you-shouldn't discussion" I didn't ask for as I didn't push the critique request button, but OK I have no problem with what Kevin tells about collectors.
Not all expensive watches are collector items, some people just wear them to see the hour of the day, and then they don't like it when there is a name of the previous owner on the back, unless it was their dad perhaps.

arnaud

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think that is probably the best job I have seen regarding the removal of engraving.
VERY NICELY DONE (yes, I am shouting!!).:thumbsup:

Weldon:cool:

j.c.

Arnaud,

The following is not directed as a personal critique to you or your efforts on this piece.

Rather it is directed at engravers in general for future reference.

When confronted with a request to do something like what was asked, the potential “clientâ€￾ should have been politely shown the door and given Audemar’s address to purchase a new back.

“Just because you can do something, does not mean you should.â€￾

j.c.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We are both correct in this instance, Arnaud:

' ......The name Stradivarius is associated with violins built by members of the Stradivari family, particularly Antonio Stradivari.....' !

best

Rod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors