Shading exercise

russ

Sam,

WOW! Was this all done with the same tool? 120?

I’d ask you what your settings were on those shallow/fine lines that you have but I’m at a disadvantage when it comes to rpms - I’m using the ngraver with the variable impact that has 4 settings ranging from low to high. Mine was done on 416ss and I used high - and maybe the second highest for shading. I guess I need to experiment more with the lower settings- and more lines.

Again – very nice! AND thanks.

Russ

AllanFink1960

russ
Sam uses a GRS Gravermach. It has a LOT more range of control than an NGraver. Plus Sam has a black belt jedi master guru level of talent and experience combined with top drawer education and a lot of hard work. Do keep practicing, but different tools would probably help. Your practice plate came out really well.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Russ: I used a GraverMach with Airtact running at 2300 strokes per minute and a common 120° graver.

Allan: I wish!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Russ. I really liked your your practice plate.
Nothing wrong with the Ngraver, use tool you have, it's a fine tool.
Look at some of Jerry Whitmore's work.
There may be some on the FEGA site.
There is some on the last page of the early FEGA Pro Directory.
He used an Ngraver machine to do all this work and his shading was great.
Just to give you a little encouragement, you're on the right track.
John B.

PS. If you can't find Jerry's work PM me your email and I will scan a couple of pictures for you. J.

Last edited:

russ

Allan,
I like your choice of words about Sam - I have the same feeling about his talent! I was hoping that someone out there had more experience with the ngraver and could lend a suggestion.

Thanks for the comments.

for some reason I can't print this image. the page numbers and everything else on the page shows up but not the acanthus leave scroll.

disregard the above, I enabled popups and the image appeared. Thanks Sam. p.s. I am still learning

Last edited: