New FEGA show logo

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, good points. For a number of years the desire has been expressed to have an engraving exhibition that would include many disciplines that collectively make up "Engraving Arts". This is possibly the beginnings. It is at least moving carefully and with much thought in that direction. I embrace the movement.

Andrew Biggs

Personally I'd like to see it or the FEGA logo made into a rubber stamp to emblazon all of my mailings or they could come up with stationery---I'd buy that!

Hi Brian

You don't need to buy it :)

If you go to the members section of the FEGA web site you will see a section with logos etc. You can download the FEGA logo and FEGA Master Engravers logo to use on your stationary. It's simple enough to make up a letter head on a Word document with logos and your name etc etc..............just save it and use it as a template for all your letter writing.

For a number of years the desire has been expressed to have an engraving exhibition that would include many disciplines that collectively make up "Engraving Arts". This is possibly the beginnings. It is at least moving carefully and with much thought in that direction. I embrace the movement.

Lee........Yes, it's definitely a beginning and an important one. Gun engraving will always be our core business but it shouldn't be seen as exclusive only to gun engraving. Most of the FEGA members engrave all sorts of canvases and lets face it, the principles of engraving are the same on all metals.

Most of the FEGA members engrave a diverse range of canvases and the newer engravers and younger ones want to engrave other things because in some respects, gun work is becoming harder because of legal regulations and restrictions. Things have changed radically over the last 30 years.

There has been an explosion in engraving canvases over the last few years and traditional canvases are getting a new lease of life . Knives, fishing rods, printing, motorbikes, car accessories cell phone covers, glasses frames, watches, jewellery, scrimshaw and many others are now being worked on and the quality of the work is outstanding.

So for FEGA to remain relevant over the next 30 years we must change with the times by holding onto our core business as well as expanding our range of skills we show to the public. A guy comes to look at the guns but he may also be interested in western brightcut because he rides horses. And his wife/partner may be interested in jewellery. It's all engraving and it's all covered by FEGA members so we need to show the world and the markets that we do all of these things.

It's an exciting and challenging time for FEGA to make and implement these changes.

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I totally agree Andrew; engraving isn’t just about engraving arms anymore. Our loan costs have raised by the years, like in Lee Griffith’s book, “budget”. So me engraving a H&H, no way. I don’t know about pricing gun engraving, but I think, if one is not that good as Phil for instance, he has to charge less.
There is little pricing info on High end engraving on guns, but I think I’m quite right that engraving jewellery is more lucrative than guns. And all our bills we have to pay raise.

So I agree, gun canvas engravings will only make a living for a happy few, the ones with the best skills.

That is why I didn’t renew my FEGA membership; sure for two years I enjoyed reading it and looking at the good quality photographs, but to much about Firearms for me.

So not only the about the canvas, also the name starting with the “F” should be worth thinking about it.

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

Hi Arnaud

I'm not sure about removing the word Firearms from the Guilds name. It has its pros and cons. Firearm engraving was what formed the guild in the first place and what has bound it together for the last 30 years. So it's historically important. Plus it is still a big part of the American engraving scene and hopefully will be for a very long time.

From purely a marketing point of view it also attracts a target market to the annual show. People come to see engraved firearms but we can also get a chance to expose them to other types of canvases which they may be interested in and help sell our members work. I'm not so sure how many people would turn up to an Engraving Show. In my experience (and it may be wrong) people collect certain objects like guns, knives, jeweller etc because that is where their interests and passion lie. Engraving is only a form of embellishing their main interest.......................The only people I've met that collect engraving, are engravers.

FEGA has become far more inclusive of other engraving canvases in recent years. The Engraver magazine reflects this. There are many articles and photos about knives, scrimshaw, western brightcut etc etc. The annual show is now open to all sorts of categories and it's up to the membership to take this up and run with it. The show also provides a chance for engravers, who tend to be a fairly far flung and reclusive lot, to meet once a year and network as well as socialize.

As always, these are my own personal views and I don't want anyone interpreting them as any kind of official FEGA policy.

Cheers
Andrew

mrthe

I think that change the name is not a solution, we have to preserve our tradiction and history , maybe will be interestig create an international engravers guild too

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mrthe

FEGA is an international Guild. Look at you and I...........both members. :)

There are no barriers to people living outside of the USA. We foster international friendships and there is a cross pollination of work, ideas and networking. We have overseas contributors to the Engraver magazine and international members that show their work as well.

On my first couple of trips to the USA I realized just how big America is (It's HUGE!!!!!) and how distance was a big issue with all the engravers. People attending the show that come from the East Coast have half the distance I have to travel and in some cases it takes them just as long to get home than me.

Cheers
Andrew

mrthe

Yes Andrew i know that, i 'm a new member of FEGA and i'm from Italy, and i'm not a firearms engraver (at the moment i hope in the future yes) what i want to say with the past post is that is not important how your name is ,but what do you make to support the engravings arts , when i habe enjoy in the guild i have make it knowing that probably i will can't assist iat one conference or meeting for the distance, but i love this art in all his applications because the base is the same, for arms, knifes, coins, jewellery , ecc.... and i think that FEGA makes a great job to promote it and the best way to help and support that is join the guild and put our little grain of sand.
If people don't like the word Firearms , i think is only a question of " estetic" and maybe the solution for people that don't like it is made another guild without this word, but how i have explain, is only a question of how it s your name, because i see that FEGA promote all type of engravings and from all the parts of the world, sorry if i explain bad my opinion ;)

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, Andrew, mrthe...........as a founding member of FEGA, all I can say to your comments is ....WELL SAID, THANK YOU AND BRAVO.. :tiphat:

FEGA tatoo huh Chris???????????? :thinking:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
The President's message from Barry on page 3 explains the breakdown of the name very well and how it applies to the future. Kind of a "code" for us members Paolo. :) Arno will have to join to get the secret decoder ring.

Marty ... it's a back tat with a "W.Va" bottom rocker. :cool:

Have fun guys ....

mrthe

wow Chris will we have a sort of signet ring with the logo for members with a decoder inside?
hahaha i hope that it give extra super powers to engrave better!!! hahaha

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OMG....I can see it all now.

We will be walking around the show in Reno wearing Capes and shirts with the FEGA Banner across our chests so that everyone knows we possess super engraving powers.

Oh yes.....and a Decoder Ring

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, sure you have control on using Illustrator. Nice design and I agree it shows the of the old billheads.

Here is a link I have from my son, a huge collection of old engraved designs, to me they still look nice. Time was not that important as now a days, Lots of inspiration you can find there.

Here is the link http://www.sheaff-ephemera.com/list/steel-engraving/ enjoy

While looking at this treasure of great design letterheads, I came across this one. Yes there is not just one bald head in the café, but I dedicate this one to Sam.

arnaud

Last edited:

Jim P

Thats beautiful.
I notice that on the colored image the tail on the letter E in the top line of text didnt come out the same as the letter E in the grey scale.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

‘Firearms’ is the perfect word, that’s what they are. Weapons are the reason our civilization exists, without them we would still be hiding in trees from every beast with sharp teeth. Although we have always used them against each other in our greed, ignorance, prejudice and sometimes desperation they themselves are works of wonder. As engravers you bring the power of the human spirit to machines of ultimate power, it is a tradition to be proud of and to pursue. I intend to join the guild if I ever get good enough to call myself an engraver.

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors