Question: Master?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My favorite Latin phrase is "stercus fit", which means "manure occurs".

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, that seems a bit harsh and crude, at most I feel my opinions may earn a civil declaration of stercoravi factus. I'm sure I've not crossed that line, I may seem a bit irreverent at times but stercus?

Bob

Sam

Staff member
You simply reminded me of a Latin term that a guy at a gunshop told me years ago. It wasn't directed at you.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Come on Sam, I know that. Are we all so sensitive that we cannot have a little fun?

Bob

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I knew you were 'just saying', I'm sure if you wanted to insult me you would have said "foedum obscenus fi Rutilus Crudus" and left little doubt.

Bob

Sam

Staff member
Yes, I knew you were 'just saying', I'm sure if you wanted to insult me you would have said "foedum obscenus fi Rutilus Crudus" and left little doubt.

Bob

Not really. I would have said your mother wears army boots. :cool:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Well, that would be a loose interpretation. I was in Walmart and noticed that people are looking for me, I saw notes on every cashier's stand asking if they had seen me. So the only thing I could think of is Doc is wondering who I am and has asked Walmart to help find me. So Doc ask if they've seen Solum DeSportula, I don't sign my checks with Bob.

Bob, er, Solum DeSportula

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here in Belgium starting a studio being a goldsmith, one needs a master stamp. There are several rules made by the authorities concerning that master stamp. And the government of money, they need a brass plate with five stamps of you master stamp. That way your work on precious metals can be recognized all over the world.
So in my opinion, if one has a master stamp, (master signature), he/she must be a master. Of course, that doesn't mean you can deal with all gold smiting jobs, but you could master a technique no one else can, so you could still be a master.

On the other hand, "beng a master when you can fix your own mistakes" sure I like that one

arnaud

mrthe

Hummm...... the first ever is who create or invent it , simple.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Guess better asked . Is why did he find it that he should do so. To show his skill is better than the rest of his peers?

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
As we have no way to even know where or when the first highly developed societies occurred questions such as that will never be answered with truth. The Master is an obvious and just about inevitable result of developing societies, specialized jobs and techniques require a leader to complete many jobs hence a Master.

Bob

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Case and point... I wasn't thinking anyone would have the answer. Just trying to point out there really isn't an easy answer to what it takes to be a master at anything. Just knowing and perfecting just about everything in your field of expertise . In my opinion a master is an above average expert in there chosen perfection.

Latest posts

Sponsors