Question: Master?

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Well, thank you all who have responded to my question. :tiphat:
I think after the amount of response my question has created I have decided several things.
First, there are quite a few definitions of what constitutes a Master artist or tradesman, both here in the states, and other parts of the world.
Second, even though I believe that striving to achieve work at a masters level should be a goal for all artist and trades-people, I think that as far as titles goes I am reminded of what my late fathers cowboy logic was.
Dad was a farrier (horse shoer) for over 45 years, and when ever someone would refer to him as a professional or master, he would respond " No, I'm not one of those, just a skilled amateur." He believed that however well he did his job, there was always someone who might be able to do it better, and they were a master.
So hopefully some day my work may reach the level that someone may consider it a masters work, but I think just a skilled tradesman doesn't sound too bad.
:thinking:

Andrew Biggs

One of the things you want to be careful of is the way you project yourself to others. It's important. Never, ever, undersell your abilities.

This has nothing to do with ego………….. It's about selling yourself and your work.

If you project yourself as some sort of "Aw shucks, I'm just a gifted amateur" then that is how people will treat you and your work. Plus it effects the price of your work and what people are willing to pay. If you can't take yourself seriously then why should others???? If you project yourself as an amateur then you will always be treated as such. People treat you like you treat yourself.

And yes, there will always be someone better than you. But that is not the point.

There has been much discussion about the word Master and it's meaning. That is fine on an academic level and makes for good conversation………….but we all live in the real world where things like marketing make a difference to your customer base both real and potential. The public are your customers, not other engravers, so in the long run it actually doesn't matter what other engravers think of you or what you call yourself.

This doesn't mean that everyone should rush out and call themselves a Master Engraver. Naturally your work has to be good enough as the clients aren't stupid. However, if your work is good enough then use the name and project a professional image to your customer base.

Cheers
Andrew

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew,
I have had similar discussions about not underselling myself or my work with friends, and of course my wife. Don't get me wrong, there are days when I'm at my bench after pulling off some small "miracle" when I will proclaim " Damn I'm Good!" Just not where anyone can hear. :cool:
I guess that someday I will have to work up to my own expectations. :thinking:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I'm 99% behind Andrew but I'll stop short of calling yourself a Master without some sort of professional recognition, I wouldn't want someone to call me on it. It's true engravers seldom sell their work to other engravers but who better to be claimed as an Master by? If you can say "the engravers of the FEGA or the Engraver's Cafe Forum have thought well enough of my work to proclaim me a Master" what more could be said of the subject? If there was a Master's button with the Master Engravers who are members of the website displaying their work they are acclaimed Masters by the members, simple proof.

Bob

Andrew Biggs

when I will proclaim " Damn I'm Good!" Just not where anyone can hear.

I tell Mary every day that if I were any more perfect I would be Jesus Christ.............just in case she has forgotten :)

From an early age we are taught to be modest. And so we should be as no one likes a bragger......... However there are times when you simply have to blow your own trumpet because no one else will. And so it is with our customers.

Self promotion is part of the business skills you have to learn if you are to survive in any trade or industry. Self promotion is all about self belief and how you feel about yourself and how you project yourself. A bit of ego is a healthy thing and too much is off-putting. It's a balancing act.....................and this all starts with confidence in your abilities which is gained through experience.

If one of your clients says you're a Master Engraver or a local newspaper calls you that..........then take the compliment, smile politely and keep your mouth shut. Why disillusion them?? :)

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Babe Ruth said it best. "It ain't bragging if you can do it."

Dizzy Dean, not the Babe :)

I've said it before, that if you're going to advertise yourself as a master, you may look like a buffoon if you can't produce masterful work.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
As the old saying goes, You will know they are christians by their love.
In this case, you will know a master by his work!

Ed DeLorge