Announcement: lindsay or grs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will be working with someone this weekend that uses grs hand piece and I use the Lindsay classic, I will try to do a video showing differences and similarities.

I was just looking for ideas for me to showcase. I'm no expert and want my video to be as helpful to rookies as possible, remember that is who I want to address.

Ill also try to make a video showing their different sharpening systems, and what ever might come to mind.

thanks all for your help and ideas.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are already many videos on both product lines all over youtube. You might watch some of them and see if there is anything new and beneficial you can add before going to the trouble of "re-filming the wheel" so to speak. Good luck.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did a search. It appears that there are videos on the different units, but no comparison.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, I an a long time member of all the engraving forums, You are relatively new. Most of us old timers started on the knifenetwork fine embellishment forum and the msn hand engraving chat room. We have seen the tool wars turn into real problems. Members banned, threads locked warning of inpending doom. Please, lets leave this dog sleeping. Just my opinion, other will disagree. Fred

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One day down on the farm word went out that the boys were gathering at Molly's diner for milkshakes and the usual blarney. The usual arguing about tractors and bragging rights over crops kept it interesting when Clem pulls up in his new Ford. I don't suppose that would have amounted to much if Bubba hadn't come along right after him in his new Chevy. Now how is it that normally reasonable, decent folks, who slap each other on the back at the high school football game and go to church and barn raisings together can lose their mind when talking trucks. It wasn't long before a brawl broke out and poor Molly had some chairs and tables to replace. It's a good thing all of the crops are planted.....can you imagine what would have happened if a Dodge had shown up.:eek:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great idea Carlos. Since I do not have access to those tools, I would love to see the video. For those of you that want to argue about these tools I would suggest you grow up.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great idea Carlos. Since I do not have access to those tools, I would love to see the video. For those of you that want to argue about these tools I would suggest you grow up.

Haraga

Thanks, now I use both companies tools, and they are both great, but there are differences, Not advantages, DIFFRENCES, like I stated before its for the new people to decide, I'm sorry some of you feel the way you do, feels like something must have happened in the past? That I am no part of. If I could afford it I would own both, I say this because both have advantages, I don't say this because I wish to remain neutral and not take sides. (What Side? Is there really such a thing) I consider myself the new generation, and I like to make informed decisions before I buy something and I feel that the newer generation is in the same boat. What works for me might not work for the next so that person would not buy what I own but would buy what would be useful for them.

For example a script font for engraving, what works for one does not work for another but everybody gives their input on what the use why should it be any difference when it comes to tools.

The more I learn I feel saddened to know that we are divided, you can't post this, you can't say that, no one is putting anybody down, just the available options that are out there is the only thing that will be mentioned.

I will buy a grs system no doubt even if I own the classic, many of you already own both.

Some people represent GRS some represent Lindsay, but I represent no one I'm just in end user with humble opinion.

I have not made a video to date were you can tell that I'm taking sides, again I don't like this term taking sides, now as you can see the title it is not GRS versus Lindsay, its GRS or Lindsay what works for you.

Here's my ending comments when I was in the market, everybody would say that Linsay is good or GRS is good but nobody ever told me why they are good, nobody ever told me the similarities and differences. So I made a half informed and half uninformed purchase. I would just like to help the new people who are about to make a purchase make a more informed purchase that's all.

Now imagine how wonderful it it would be if you veterans would be able to speak freely and tell us why you use one or the other without anybody's feelings being hurt, being banned, etc.

Just my two cents worth.

I have to add this to my list don't ever talk about politics, religion, or handpieces.:confused:

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Carlos: I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't or can't post a handpiece comparison video. What has some people nervous is the possibility of another stupid tool war or nasty equipment arguments. You weren't around when all of that crap started a few years ago so (thankfully) you missed it. That was then and this is now, and everyone is back to being friends and I think most of us would like to keep it that way.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a thought: Maybe this time around folks could discuss the ACTUAL TOOLS this time, what they do, how they work, etc., without the irrationally attached emotional baggage some carry for their respective inventors & manufacturers? You know, like adult artists & craftspeople? Just thought I'd throw that out there for consideration...

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I have both tools. I love them both and do not regret buying both. I have the GRS setup at my bench in my workshop. The Lindsey I use when I need portability as I have it set up to run off of CO2. The CO2 canister is much smaller and lighter than my compressor. Neither system as far as opperation goes is better than the other, they both work wonderfully. They are both very well made tools made by two very reputable companies. A person will not go wrong in buying either system.

Neither system will work well if the operator does not know how to sharpen a graver. Learn to sharpen a graver first then worry about which system to buy.

Sharpening systems, again I have both and would not be without either. I do the initial shaping of my gravers on my Power Hone and dual angle fixture. This can be done with the templets and stones but it takes much longer. Where the templets shine is in touching up the points once they have been shaped. I find it quicker to place the graver in the templet and hit it a few licks on a stone than rigging it up in the dual angle fixture.

I consider myself very fortunate to be blessed with the finances to be able to afford both systems. I realize that not everyone can do this or wants to invest in both systems, so pick one or the other, I find as far as cutting goes neither is better than the other.

So Carlos if you can show both tools without bias then I think it will be of benifit to those thinking of buying a system. Otherwise please listen to the wise words of advise that has been given here.

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim- blarney has an Irish origin and is a term to describe chat with an attempt to persuade or influence.

Carlos- I agree with you that there is a need for an objective review as noted by Haraga. New lurkers and members are regularly added and all have questions. Few live close enough to all systems and have the opportunity of testing them all. Also helpful would be posting new techniques discovered by whatever system - low and high speed techniques, angle of attack, moving forward or backwards, left hand, right hand, standing on your head or blindfolded. :biggrin:I hope this forum has matured enough to have an objective discussion regarding tools and techniques. I use an Enset and a Gravermach on every project. They are different and wonderful in their own way. If someone gave me a Lindsay, I suspect I would find techniques for which it would become the preferred.

Sam and crew are reasonable moderators. Things have to get way out of hand to be edited or banned. Again I thank Sam for developing this forum and his professional handling of all things forum.

Carlos, go for it if you wish and it will be a useful addition. Realize that no matter how objective and well intentioned your efforts, there will likely be a myopic and unreasonably biased Ford or Chevy owner. I pledge to keep my comments constructive and objective........according to my opinion of course.:)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the advice

Carlos i have to say that if you make a search in the Forum you will find a fee of threads where people was talking about the same, just search ( for example http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?11133-lindsay-vs-grs-systems).

Mr. The

But I do not want to make a video posted as a question, just one comparing the two...It will be posted on youtube and for those who are interested can view it there so subscribe to my youtube channel and see it when I post it, there are other videos that maybe helpful to rookies, all comments will be disabled on youtube to avoid problems (thanks for the advice)

If you own one and are happy with your setup don't view it (as some may not be able to handle it), why the need? to argue, disagree, there really is no need, it is only for people who do not have either and want to see them both,a side by side view before they make a purchase.

thank you all for the advice

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Any such attempt to illustrate or compare the tools of this trade by a raw amateur is simply amusing to the working, professional, or Master Engraver. Likewise, we lived through the so-called "Tool Wars" and we truly understand the damage that can be done by such silliness. Moreover, we understand that amateur misinformation tends to run rampant and cause more and more confusion among that group of folks who really need professional advice and competent training when they are considering the values of one machine over the other. There are to many personal and skill variables in this kind of public experimentation for an amateur to approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsors