+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lindsay vs grs systems

Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I am new to engraving. I wanted to start out right by starting with decent equipment. I wanted to get everyones opinion between the Lindsay and GRS engraving systems. In the end, I would like to be able to engrave firearms and jewelry. Which system would be better for this or is it mostly personal preference? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a gravermax from the beginning. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Upgraded to an airtact system in my personal studio. I really like it for decorative engraving. Not so much fir stone setting.
    Bert Edmonston IV
    Jewelry, knife and firearms engraving
    Pueblo, CO
    240-367-6082

Bertram Custom Jewelers and Engraving

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

You will likely be happy with either. If you can it would be good to try each out first. Check with the makers to see when they might be at a show near you in the near future. I used a gravermeister for 30 years and swore by it. I now use a classic airgraver and have found it to be an absolutely great tool!
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

Post Thanks / Like

After all my research I am going with the Lindsay classic. I really like the palm control and when I get the $$ I can have the classic upgraded to it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamW View Post
    You will likely be happy with either. If you can it would be good to try each out first. Check with the makers to see when they might be at a show near you in the near future. I used a gravermeister for 30 years and swore by it. I now use a classic airgraver and have found it to be an absolutely great tool!
    Your not going to get better advise than this. I have been teaching classes here at teh studio for a good while now and I have had several students come through here. Some prefer the GRS equipment others prefer the Lindsay. Both are well made and very serviceable systems. What is really comes down to is which fits you better ergonomically and is most comfortable to you.

As Sam advised You really would be miles ahead to look up folks in your area who have each system and take both for a test drive before making a decision.

Ray
    School of Fine Art Engraving
    rcoverengraving.com
    cover@sbcglobal.net
    My projects blog
    http://raycover.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a Gravermeister over 30 years ago, then a used GraverMax in 1989 which served me well for over 15 years and is still in daily operation by one of my students. My benches are now equipped with GraverMach ATs which have the convenience of foot pedal or palm with the flip of a switch. For my work this is an excellent feature. You will find plenty of fans and world class work done with both systems. Test driving is certainly a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like your about 2 and a half hours from me, if you want to take the drive i have grs equiptment and can give you some time in my studio.......
    Ron Cloutier
    (865)-498-1225

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input! Ron, thanks for your offer and I will definitely keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take Ron up on his offer if at all possible. I was able to visit with Lee Griffiths and Sam Welch before making a purchase and the hands on with some veteran advice really helped me understand things. I went with the GraverMach AT and love it, but the decision was mostly based on how great GRS was to work with. If you have any technical questions, give them a call and they are more than happy to answer your questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm lucky enough to have both systems and in my opinion it is a matter of personal preference. I find a few things that are easier to do with one system vs. the other but 95% of the time either system will do exactly the same. If you can get a chance to try both that would be best - you may find that for you one system is clearly better than the other.
    Enjoy!

Steve :->