Latest new project -Whiskey Flask

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey John, in my EXPERT opinion, the only thing you have to remember is to neutralize the pickling acid by rinsing it out with backing soda and water. The last one I did held good whiskey for several mos. no problem!!!!A proper leak test for sure!!!!

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very handsome flask! Can't wait to see it when it's done. Thanks for all the in progress pictures. Will you be at the FEGA show and will you have the flask with you?

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
So the whiskey holds up just fine. That makes sense considering stills are made of copper. Whiskey must not be acidic. I guess i better get busy carving silver so i someday have enough scrap for a flask.

Thanks for sharing this,

John

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Dave for showing the progress on this flask, seems to turn out very well. But of course we wouldn't expect anything less.

arnaud

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
To view another flask by Silverchip go to the Traditional Cowboy Arts Association, TCAA, web site and click on 2008 exhibit. To see some very fine work by western engravers and bit and spur makers enjoy all the exhibits.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
The flask that Dave brought to the TCAA workshop in OKC was empty, its a long drive from Twin Falls to OKC,and required more driving whisky than the capacity of the flask

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
todays progress

A shot of where I am today, the little diamond shape panels are done and the wheat chaff borders around the name plate and side panels naturally changed the area to the point of redesigning my engraving patterns. Still going with an open scroll pattern and that is where I am at now!!!! engraving progress1-20-13.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

This is a great thread and getting better with each of your progress postings! Some sweet smooth lines and I see a good deal of background removal. Seems like it will have single point shading, and be more of a gun style engraving rather than western bright. Looking very nice, thank you! Anytips on tool control when push graving on varying curve surfaces, for example, do you progress in long, uninterrupted cuts, or shorter cuts seamlessly merged? Or maybe the new En-Set strutting its stuff? Whichever, it is taking its shape nicely!

best

Rod

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

I really like the asymmetrical scroll design on your flask. I find it more interesting than if the scroll was a mirror image on both sides.

Cheers,
Roger

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At this point I am trying to finish the front and the decide IF and what to do on the other side!!!!LOL Thanks Roger for your compliments!!!

Rod, yes I am using the enset to do the major lines but all of the background is done one line at a time by hand and I am thinking about beveling the edges and then shade by hand too, MAYBE!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors