Historical and Antique Engraving Tools - post your pics

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beautiful, for sure. what is the thingamajig betwixt the hammer and graver ? the thing with the thumb screw on top. reminds me of a thing i made years ago. i would slide it on a yardstick and used it for marking parallel lines on sign blanks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
beautiful, for sure. what is the thingamajig betwixt the hammer and graver ? the thing with the thumb screw on top. reminds me of a thing i made years ago. i would slide it on a yardstick and used it for marking parallel lines on sign blanks.

It was his Chinese white holder.

monk

Staff member
thanks, sam. i've learned something new today. i never knew there was a chinese white holder.

Sam

Staff member
thanks, sam. i've learned something new today. i never knew there was a chinese white holder.

Me either, monkster. It's the only one I've ever seen. Pretty clever though don't you think?

mcengraving

ls Starrett co

Also have these, no idea what they are. Marked ls starett company no 56. Belonged to an engraver for the franklin mint.

Attachments

• 20150212_173841.jpg
    20150212_173841.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 358

Sam

Staff member
In your first photo the two handpieces with air hoses are older GRS handpieces. The black one is the 710. Not sure of the model # of the other one.

The rest of the handpieces appear to be of the dental variety (rotary handpieces) with one or two flex shaft handpieces in the mix.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My little seven pound A. D. Muhlmatt (patented in 1892) with a 45 pound LeTerneau and a 15 pound Vigor. The Muhlmatt was made in Cincinnati.

Attachments

• Block-ADM vise 13.jpg
    Block-ADM vise 13.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Blocks.jpg
    Blocks.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 292

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
McEngraving. You have two Starrett marking Gage's there that also are used to hold a dial indicator. The item in the middle is a dial indicator holder for use with a milling machine to team the head in. It is also used to find center on a hold.

Todd

mcengraving

Sam, are they gravermeister handpieces? All of this equipment belonged to ralph alpen before he passed. I never found a machine over there so I purchased a graversmith. It appears that he turned the Pistons and springs around inside the handpieces to use with a non gravermeister system but they operate erratically.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon that hand looks like a very good sophisticated tool where can I get one like that!

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Here are some of my historic and new tools.

Attachments

• myshop.tools.1.jpg
    myshop.tools.1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 110
  • myshop.tools.2.jpg
    myshop.tools.2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 110
  • myshop.tools.3.jpg
    myshop.tools.3.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 112
  • myshop.tools4.jpg
    myshop.tools4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 112
  • myshop.tools.5.jpg
    myshop.tools.5.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 111
  • myshop.tools.6.jpg
    myshop.tools.6.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 111

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, cool tools and shop. I like the way you ran the hose thru the handles on your Lindsay tools, do you ever pinch off the air?

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Those flamed maple hammers are amazing! I'm making a block to hold my gravers out of a piece of beautifully flamed maple. The French polish I'm doing on it is a nice break from sketching and cutting copper practice plates.