Staff member
inside_ring_2.jpg
Inside ring engraving fixture.

inside_ring_3.jpg
Inside ring engraving fixture.

inside_ring_1.jpg
BING inside ring fixture of 1912.

IMG_4962-sm.jpg
Most of the tools from Prudhomme's workbench including a variety of hand gravers and chisels, dozens of punches for chasing and sculpting, and other assorted tools.

vise_IMG_4964-sm.jpg
Engraving block and walnut base with drawer.

vise_pins_DSC01241-sm.jpg
Many of Prudhomme's tools were personalized, including pieces from the vise attachment set.

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Uploaded these under a different tread, but the graver is antique, so I'll post it here as well.

I found the graver in a late realtives workshoop. Being as he was dead at this point I have no idea from were he had gotten it, but I know that one of the best engravers from Toten (Toten is the place in Norway I live), Nils Pedersen Talebakke, used gravers with identic handles a houndred years ago.

WP_000382.jpg WP_000380.jpg WP_000383.jpg WP_000381.jpg

Sorry about low quality, but my desire for new tools has yet to apply for photo-equipment.

PS:
Thanks to Sam for starting this tread. I love this kind of history :tiphat:

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks a lot sam & all who post these fotos. i noticed a crocker in mr. prudhommes' collection, as well as the scriber device he made. a beautiful collection i might add. nice to see what he worked with, sam.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, he had a Crocker fixture but he didn't use it when I saw him. Most of his gravers are hand sharpened, but there are a few with perfectly flat faces and heels which might indicate that he used a fixture. He was a big fan of onglette gravers and there are dozens of them in both push gravers and chisels (this photo shows only a portion of the gravers). Prudhomme was a commercial lettering engraver and used round gravers and every liner known to man. There are very few flat gravers in the mix.

mrthe

My The MIssman Engraving Block Vise :
IMG_2472.jpg IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2485.jpg IMG_2484.jpg IMG_2478.jpg IMG_2476.jpg
US915872-0.png

F. A. MISSMAN.

' ENGRAVING BLOCK.' APPLIG'ATIN FILED JUNE 1, 196s.

Patented Mar. 2s, 190s.

wnNEssEs.-

W Mw

ca., wAsmNaroN, nA e.

Y FRANK A. MISSMAN, OF KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI.

ENGRAVING-BLOGK. I

` specification f Letters Patent.

Patented March 23, 1909.

Application filed June 1, 1908. Serial No. 436,081.

To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, FRANKA. MIssMAN, a citizen of the United States, residing at Kansas City, in the county of J eerson and State of Missouri, have invented a new and useful Engraving-Block, of which the following is a specification.

My invention relates to improvements in engraving blocks comprising a suitable vise having a convex base adapted to and movable u on a suitable pad or block to facilitate the a justment of vise to convenient positions; and the objects of my improvements are, first, to provide a vise the general arrangement and construction of which will, when used in conjunction with the inclined pad or block, permit the tilting or inclination of said vise to the roper working position and yet keep the wor ing face of jaws as low as possible; and second, to provide a vise having ball bearings so located between the turn table and the base that any wear on the bearing surfaces will be uniform and not perf mit one side of turn table to drag and bind on the base. It is a fact well known to engravers that the ease of manipulation of an engraving block depends largely upon the relative height o f the working jaws from the bench, viz: Should the jaws be too high, as in most cases they are, where the ordinary block having avdeep semi-spherical base and flat pad are used, the position of the operators arm is unnatural and strained and interferes materially with the successful handling of his tools; whereas, with the low working jaws, the operators wrist can be held in a natural position, the pressure applied to the cutting tool will be more in line with the forearm when the elbow is resting on the bench, and the work can be more conveniently handled in many res ects. I attain these objects by the use of t e device illustrated in the accompanying drawing, in which- Figure 1 is a side view of the vise and inclined block pad; Fig. 2 is an end view of the same; Fig. 3 is a vertical sectional view showing the relative position of parts, and showing the vise tilted on the. inclined pad; and Fig. 4 is a plan view.

Similar figures or letters of reference refer to similar parts throughout the several views.

The` pad 1 having the inclined face c, is provided with the hole b which is countersunk to conform to the curvature of the base of the vise, said countersunk portion being lined with leather, rubber or other suitable material c.

The base of the vise, 2, is flat on its top surface and provided with the ball race 3 and the balls 4, upon which rests the turn-table 5, being held in position by the bolt 6. The under side of base 2 is convex and of such a curvature that, considering it as the segment of a sphere, the total thickness of base is approximately equal to one sixth the diameter of the said sphere. The angle of the inclined face of the pad 1 is such that, when the convex face of base 2 is resting in the countersunk portion of the hole b in said pad, the vise may be tilted to the desired working angle, or to any intermediate position, and held by the frictional contact between the two surfaces. The jaws 7 and 7 are dovetailed into the turn-table and are actuated by the right and left hand screw 8 by means of the thumb-wheel 9. The bolt 6 being slotted across its top end at 6', forms a yoke in which the groove 8 has bearing, and serves to hold said screw in place. The bolt 6, having the shoulder 10, passes through the turn-table 5, is securely fastened thereto by the lock nut 11 and at its lower end has the screw 12, which holds theA turn-table and base together, yet allows the turn-table to revolve freely upon the base. The pad 1 is provided with a number of holes :t for holding the attachments y when not in use.

I am awarethat prior to my invention, engraving blocks have been made having revoluble ball-bearing turn-tables, and convexv bases adapted to and movable upon a pad. I therefore do not claim such a combination broadly; but- What I do claim as my invention, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-

1. The combination in an engraving block of a suitable vise having a convex base adapted to and slidably movable upon the face of an inclined pad having a suitable opening or depression in its inclined face partially or wholly conforming to the curvature of the convex portion of said base, substantially as shown, for the purpose specified.

2. The combination in an engraving block of a revoluble turn-table upon which the jaws are mounted, and having rigidly attached thereto a bolt or stud serving as an axis thereof, Vone end of which forms a bearing for the vise screw While the opposite end contains a neme to this specification in the presence of souder sorev for hollngbsaid turn-tabe to two subscribing Witnesses. t e ase sai turn-ta e ein mounte on T T said base through the niediumgof a ball bearr- FRAB K A MISSMAB' 5 ing system disposed near the perimeter of i Witnesses:

said turn-table, substantially as set forth. ROBERT A. PoLLooK, In testimony whereof I have signed my i FRANK H. EYMAN.

Sam

Staff member
That's a real engraving treasure, Paolo! What an interesting engraving vise that is, and the set is complete with no missing parts. It also looks like it's been used a lot over the years.

mrthe

Yes ,this very old vise is only 5" but extremely stable and great to work under the scope because is a very low profile vise,personally i love it and is the vise that i use now for my works.
Yes will be very used but i have just restored the internal bearing leaving his original look,and work very smooth now!

Sam

Staff member
otto_young_sample_plate-sm.jpg

Script and Old English lettering on a copper sample plate from Otto Young & Co. Chicago, Illinois which was in business from 1881-1928.

monk

Staff member
ec prudhomme found not much favor with flats, apparently. strange how we all find favorites, and avoid others. i'm an example of that; i just recently decide to see what an onglette can do, after years of avoiding them.

Sam

Staff member
ec prudhomme found not much favor with flats, apparently. strange how we all find favorites, and avoid others. i'm an example of that; i just recently decide to see what an onglette can do, after years of avoiding them.

Same here, monk. I've been experimenting with onglettes as well.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam, that sample plate is really cool. Would you post a closeup of some of the old english?

Thanks
Todd

Sam

Staff member
otto_young_closeup_1.jpg

otto_young_closeup_2.jpg

Here you go. The plate has considerable wear since it was engraved somewhere between 1881 and 1928. As you can see the engraver used 2 different sized flat gravers as well as a V-point graver. The verticals are cut with the narrow flat and the angled cuts done with the wider one.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for sharing! Quite beautiful! Sam are you going to pull of these pics into a file that is organized or are we all going to just keep posting them along with all the comments accompanying them?

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam, thanks. So Prudhomme didn't use flats much? He cut his lettering with round gravers and V's then. Very interesting. I'd be interested to see Prudhommes done with a round graver, I've never even tried one.

Todd

monk

Staff member
paolo: a grand looking vise. i know thislikely got a lot of use for more than just jewelry judging by the offset brass pins. those would enable to engrave some sizeable objects.

Sam

Staff member
Sam, thanks. So Prudhomme didn't use flats much? He cut his lettering with round gravers and V's then. Very interesting. I'd be interested to see Prudhommes done with a round graver, I've never even tried one.

Todd

Todd: Correct, not so many flats. Prudhomme used liners for much of his lettering. A round would have been used for small block lettering.