Historical and Antique Engraving Tools - post your pics

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It actually drives chisels. And surprisingly smooth action.
But still, yes, yikes!
The chisel are a little large size tho. I hate to speculate.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many of these "reciprocating" chisels were not for cutting teeth, but were for removing the bone around impacted molars to aid in their extraction. I actually did use surgical chisels and a hammer to do field surgery in the jungles of the Philippines when working with a medical group treating indigenous tribes of Negritos back in the late '60s.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
now we know why people get nervous going to the dentist. reminds me, as a kid, my dentist used an old belt driven drill. all the novacaine on earth could make that a tolerable experience. i think the bur had 1 flute !

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll make a graver insert and see what it'll do. Tho I think the hammer action isn't subtle enough.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
52 year old hand (of the) engraver

I've been using this since 1961..... Admittedly...It was much smaller when I first got it.....

Weldon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 375

mrthe

Weldon without doubt the more valuable tool in every workshop!
will be cool a poll to see how much years every engraver in the Café are in the Business/ Hobby

monk

Staff member
hey, weldon i don't see too many graver scars or gashes there ! are you sure this is what you use ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow Sam I have that same copper plate with the exact lettering ( I compared D and H with yours ) only I don't have a company name at the end it is blank also mine has a lead backing. Yours is in better shape than mine.

Bill: That's interesting. In the 1892 Otto Young catalog they refer to this plate as a transfer plate. So a student or engraver could pull a letter from the plate to transfer and engrave. Mine also has a lead backing. Are you letters exactly like mine? Just curious.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam Yes I think so I scoped down on my plate to really see the letters enlarged like you did and I have the same tale-tale faint nicks in the capitol H that yours has. interesting. I am also rebuilding a old Jewelers Screw press I saved from a rust heap that I almost have put back together I am going to put back to use in my studio. I will show pictures when I finish.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Copper Lettering plate like Sams

Sam here is a picture of my lettering plate front and back. As you can see yours is in better shape. Though I enjoy collecting old antique engraving tools.

Attachments

• Copper Lettering plate 1.jpg
    Copper Lettering plate 1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Copper Lettering plate 2.jpg
    Copper Lettering plate 2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 441

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is amazing to see old instrument and tools, thanks a lot guys for your time, we are appreciate it very much

monk

Staff member
curious to know why they were backed with lead. an interesting feature, but must have served some useful purpose, or it wouldn't be there.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know that Lynton hand his name in various sizes and styles engraved in reverse for transfer purposes. He states in one of his presentations that he had parallel lines cut with a milling machine to use to transfer for some background and lettering applications also used with wax transfer techniques. He had a lot of tricks like that I guess. You would certainly know better than anyone Sam about these old methods to speed up work. You probably have a few of your own. Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
chinese_white_holder-sm.jpg

Here are some of E.C. Prudhomme's personalized tools. One is his holder for Chinese white, and the other is a marking device.