Question: Engraver's Tattoo:

truehand

I've got a blueish green dot about 2mm across on the side of my left index finger along with about a thousand little scars.. I think it's from a little piece of silver that got left inside after a 'slip' about 20 years ago. My dad has one too and we have always referred to them as "engraver tattoos"
Anybody else have one of these?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got the pencil ones in both thighs - took me a while to learn to not carry pencils point down in my pants pockets.

Used to have a couple in the heels of my palms from learning that carrying them point up isn't that smart either. :rolleyes: Hey, I'm persistent, I am!

More interestingly I've got one on the inside of my left forearm from a hunting incident. I was using an old, single-shot break open 12ga and while hurring toward a second shot I tripped right as I was closing the gun. Put my arms straight out in front and concentrated on getting it broken back open rather than breaking my fall. Caught a rock on the forearm and something got under the skin with the scrape.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got one like that, Truehand.
In my left thigh. Bent down to pick up a dropped tool with a drafting pencil in my mouth.
Clever eh!

John,

Who was that old fellow you introduced me to at FEGA that was a long time silver engraver? His left hand was so full of those "engraver tattoos" it looked like he was hit with a load of bird shot.:shock:

Roger

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Yep, Roger. I think he held the world record for graver sticks on his left hand.
And for an old bird of 92 he kinda wore them as a badge of honor.
Hope he comes to see us at Reno this next January.
We will get a photo of that hand and post it.
Best, stay well.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
My niece, the Hollywood stunt-chick and her stunt-man husband tell me that many talented people have been passed over for good roles because of tattoos. Tattoos haven't hurt Johnnie Depp's career, but he may be the exception that proves the rule.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the tattoo artists can be amazing, and they draw that stuff on the the fly which really commands my respect. Great stuff! Now I don't have any tattoos because I already have enough permanent identifying marks. I also am not very attracted to women that wear them just because it reminds me of a bumper sticker on a Ferrari. Most women are good the way god made them, and the tattoo, although cool, detracts from the natural beauty.

Also, there is no resale value on a tattoo.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"a bumper sticker on a Ferrari" i love it. and you know, unlike a nice big tarp, they don't improve the rusted out beaters, either...

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have been thinking of getting one. I do a lot of Celtic jewelry, and there is a tattoo artist in the building where our new business is located. A discreet celtic knot will probably result, don't know exactly where yet.

I hope that it fades to a homogenous bluish-green, because I am 62 now, and if in 40 years it is not recognizable, the folks in the old folks home with me will just have to deal with it. I can make up a story...that was where Jolie (make up the femme fatale {or leading man} that turns your crank) kissed me. It left a mark.

At that age, any stories are apt to be good.

Will
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
You know a lot of Ferraris do ya? Lol. Most of the time, its more like Borris Vallejo on a 1975 panel van.

Celtic is always a classic and tasteful option. Not enough tattoo artist appreciate it, but I think that it makes a great choice for a tattoo. Celtic knots have been tattooed on people for a very long time.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the tattoo artists can be amazing, and they draw that stuff on the the fly which really commands my respect...

You have hit on a significant difference between a tattooer and an engraver. When some criticize the artwork of tattoos they may be forgetting that unlike a gun or knife engraver who spends hours or days at end working up a design, a tattooer is in an instant gratification business (for the most part).

The customer walks in with a tiny picture out of a magazine or off the internet, or looks at the flash, picks one out, and it's off to the races. Unless the tat is of extreme complexity, there's none of this "come back in a month and I'll fit you in."

When Scott walked in the door of my brother's shop he had a picture of a Colt from a book. My brother resized the pic, converted it into a tattooable image, then went to work. The whole process took just over three hours. Scott walked out with a one of a kind tattoo, scrollwork and all.

My brother refers to tattooing as "creativity on demend."

RB