Question: Engraver's Tattoo:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Since Arnaud brought up the subject, I was wondering how many of us have tattoos? I've always wanted one, but never got one because it would not have gone over very well with my bosses. So I recently attended a couple of 1st Cavalry reunions and several of my combat buddies have military type tats. Not having to impress my bosses any longer I decided it was time to get my own tattoo.

So....here's mine. What's yours look like?

Attachments

• Cav Tattoo II.jpg
    Cav Tattoo II.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 280

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To each his/her own, but i could never understand why anyone would want to indelibly imprint upon their body artwork they wouldn't hang on the back of their bathroom door. one of the all-time classic oxymorons: "classy tattoo". let the slings & arrows of dissent commence firing in 3...2...1...
:cool:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The fact that they are so "permanent" bothers me to point of never getting one.
I kinda feel the same way about Lacik eye surgery---I have nightmares about being the 1% that had his vision destroyed by the proceedure...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
To each his/her own, but i could never understand why anyone would want to indelibly imprint upon their body artwork they wouldn't hang on the back of their bathroom door. one of the all-time classic oxymorons: "classy tattoo". let the slings & arrows of dissent commence firing in 3...2...1...
:cool:

There are as many bad tattoos as there are bad engravings. Personally, there are a lot of tattoos that I think are way cool. I also see a lot and think "why did he/she do that?"

I'm glad we have you, Mitch, to help us define what 'class' is. *snicker*

~Sam

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, I get your point. I guess it's much like cutting on a really fine firearm. Once you cut on it you lose the purity. ;~)

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tattooing is a very personal thing and very hard for those who don't have them to understand the psychology that goes on behind it. It's a huge step to deliberately artistically scar oneself and is often why those who are drunk or haven't thought it through fully live to regret it later. Tattooing is very fashionable in the UK at the moment but what happens to the person who gets tattooed because its the 'in thing'? Eventually, they will become one of those who bleat on about "how much they regret getting tattooed" which reinforces the un-inked world that it's a terrible thing to do to the body.

I have 3 tattoos and I don't regret any of them, in fact I'm thinking of discussing a cover up with a local tattooist for the one that's bled into a blue triangle. However, thats not to say I like all tattoos like Sam says, there are good and bad ones. And, outside of genuine tribal tattoos (like the Maoris) I cannot understand the psychology of facial tattoos.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
There are as many bad tattoos as there are bad engravings. Personally, there are a lot of tattoos that I think are way cool. I also see a lot and think "why did he/she do that?"

I'm glad we have you, Mitch, to help us define what 'class' is. *snicker*

~Sam

LOL!!!!!

..... but even most of those "bad tattoos" were done by professionals. Sad to say one doesn't need credentials or state certifications to ruin a perfectly good firearm or knife.

The true irony is that some people will refuse to desecrate their bodies with artistic ink but will consume twinkies, chips and cheap beer everyday and be perfectly content with contributing to the statistics on obesity.

I have several and I made it a point to never get a corporate logo, some chicks name or something you pick off a "wall of clipart" knowing perfectly well that there are at least 1000 other people running around with the same thing. Having one canvas means everything has to say a lot, be unique and mean something. They don't have to even be seen by others because their meanings are only important to me and what others might think of them is completely unimportant anyway.

I'm honored to be in the same "class" of tattooed trash as Marcus :)

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The true irony is that some people will refuse to desecrate their bodies with artistic ink but will consume twinkies, chips and cheap beer everyday and be perfectly content with contributing to the statistics on obesity.

I was going to argue that at least it was reversible but I think the jury is still out on Twinkies.... I think the "best when used by" date on them has the infinity sign.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::

How about if it's done with smoked pork shoulders, baby back ribs, and good micro-brews? :thumbs up:

What's even worse are tattooed fat and ugly people. I guess I'll just stop at fat and ugly. :big grin:

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Had mine done last year. The design is derived from an engraved wedding band I've done a few times and has a lot of meaning for me.

Attachments

• 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
A do it yourself job!

In 1953 I was living on the 'wrong side of town?' in Minneapolis MN. Age 14. I got this bottle of india ink a straight pin and an ink pen 'not ball boint'. Drew the letter J on my forearm and while the ink was still wet began poking the ink into the skin. The three letters took about an hour.

Why did I do this? All the kids were doing it. Along with proxsiding our hair and pericing our ears.

Jim Sackett :cool:

Jim'tatoo.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm reminded of a night about 20 years ago when my brother & i were out to dinner. he asked the beautiful young waitress what the "J.S." tattooed on her wrist stood for?

she replied, "Juvenile Stupidity."

and yeah, Sam, i'm happy to be of service. ;-)

kguns

Since Arnaud brought up the subject, I was wondering how many of us have tattoos? I've always wanted one, but never got one because it would not have gone over very well with my bosses. So I recently attended a couple of 1st Cavalry reunions and several of my combat buddies have military type tats. Not having to impress my bosses any longer I decided it was time to get my own tattoo.

So....here's mine. What's yours look like?

CH thanks for your service. :beerchug:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
To be tattooed or not to be... I think it was summed up best by a very famous tattoo artist named Cliff Raven..." A human being, past its prime, is basically a mess, a tattoo helps."

If it weren't for my tattoos, just the thought of me undressing would send most people running.

I complained because I had no shoes, till I met a man with no tattoos.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Living in the city and hanging on the corner when I was a teenager, some of the fellows went and got tattooed. You know, spider webs, Mom, the grim reaper.
When I was in Nam I saw a couple of guys who had a skull with a dagger through the middle of it and "Death from Above" written above it. I dearly wanted one of those as it was a very "spirited" outfit I was in and that was indeed our business.

Thank God I wasn't on the corner when the boys went to the tattoo parlor and thank God I was never in a rear area where there was a tattoo artist. (Tattoo artists didn't make calls to the jungle.)

I thought long and hard before I went for my tattoo. I wanted it to be sizeable yet inconspicious if I chose it to be so. It reminds me of those men from my outfit who aren't here to get a tattoo. Maybe in the back of my mind I did it for them. It will stay with me as long as I am here. And should I suffer from dementia I'll always have a reminder of what was the thrill of a life time.

Now, if only I can find a custom towel maker so I can hang one on the back of my bathroom door instead of a yellow towel with pansies on it.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,As long as your happy with the tattoo that all that counts,and thanks for your service to our country.J.J.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
J.J. are you going to be at the "Vintagers" this weekend in MD? I'll be there tomorrow. I'll look you up at the Parker tent.

Latest posts

Sponsors