Question: Engraver's Tattoo:

shovelrider

Crazy Horse, I think your tat looks Great!!! I'd be willing to bet you'd hang it on the "Front Door". My Daddy always told me that a man needed to marry a fat tattooed lady. He'd have heat in the winter, shade in the summer and moving pictures all year long......

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Crazy Horse, I think your tat looks Great!!! I'd be willing to bet you'd hang it on the "Front Door". My Daddy always told me that a man needed to marry a fat tattooed lady. He'd have heat in the winter, shade in the summer and moving pictures all year long......

:yes hahaha

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I didn’t see much tattoos yet, Crazy Horse has a nice one and Jim’s one I like it too.
The one of Jim is always handy when one gets Alzheimer and can’t remember his name.

Here is mine, not a big one, just something I did myself at the age of 17. It is not the number 8 but the timeless symbol

arnaud

Attachments

• MyTattoo.jpg
    MyTattoo.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 94

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
The difference between us Tattooed and you cleanskins is that we don't mind that you don't have any.

I have about a dozen done by pro's, friends and myself. One is a Ron Smith scroll my son is colouring for me.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:I can agree with your statement, TyG! We all just should respect one another, the 'blank'skins versus the 'illustrated';)!The choice of tattoo/style/size is a very personal taste. The level of artistry/tattoo-quality: that depends of the tattooist, there are a bunch of very skilled tattoo Artists (yes with huge capital A) out there, unfortunately the number of 'scratchers' is as high as in all other arts & crafts:rolleyes:. Some people prefer a blank custom knife, rifle or gun, some adore fully engraved pieces more, comparable to the difference of choice: blank skin/decorated skin. At least that 's my humble opinion. Regards, Paulie.:beerchug:

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Chris, there is no regulation on the quality of art, only on the sterility and operation of a tattoo artist or studio. It is every bit as likely that you could get a bad tattoo just like you can get a bad engraving.

The thing I love about tattooing is the exact opposite of what I love about engraving: the nature of its permanence and the connection between the artist and the client. With tattooing, it seems permanent, but its really only there till you rot away, and there is zero resale value to a tattoo so the guy you deal with is the final collector-no need for provenance papers. Engraving is something you can leave behind for hundreds of years, sell it, loose it, pass it down to the kids- its kind of viral like that. Both are indulgences in Man's desire to decorate things they see all the time, and both point to a little something extra inside us that isn't just electrical impulses and chemical reactions.

Also, I like tattooing because it pays the rent, and I don't have to wear a tie.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
" I don't have to wear a tie."

Now there's an idea for a tattoo for the business class folks among us!

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Always thought about getting one never had the guts to do it. Or drunk enough. Hats off to you Crazy Horse :tiphat: Charlie 2/5, 65-66.

Sandy

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Crazy Horse,
I think you got a GREAT Tattoo.......
& THANK You very much for serving during that time & that place....

Second,
For those who don't like like tattoos..
Ask me to show you inside my lower lip..or watch me pee sometime......heheheh

Bottom Line I Guess..
My Tattoos have served me very well over the course of my life..
#!.They got some good bar fights goin..
and
#2...They've got me some REALLY "Fine" women..........!!

I like my tattoos... :) :)

Last edited:

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
I had a tat done way back - the EOD BUG. If you were in a bar and someone called out for a bug check - no bug you bought the round. Never left home without it. Later I had a dragon done - my son loved them - when he died I had his favorite one done. Diferent reasons but memories to last.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tats are VERY popular amongst many people from what I observe these days. I also respect others choice to have them, but would not get one myself.

I enjoy looking at them, and some are true works of art, but no matter how good they look when they are new, they all seem to fade and distort with time.

Quite a few people I know got them years back (especially enlisted men), and NONE look so good these days. Most people that i've discussed them with that have had them for a long period of time, would have preferred NOT to have gotten them?

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
The year was 1968. My Seabee pal and I were on our last liberty before shipping out to Vietnam and after getting drunk in San Diego wandred into a tattoo parlor at about 3:00 in the morning. We both agreed to get Donald Duck on our left forearm. After a few days he started razzing me about my cross-eyed duck. It eventually came out that he bribed the guy $5 to make my duck's eyes crossed. My pal ended up on my crew and all I heard was "If you think I'm gonna listen to some Polish Hillbilly with a cross-eyed duck on his arm you're crazy"! (I have a Polish name and West Virginia bloodlines)
I also have my Seabee tattoo and have never regretted it because we veterans seem to want to show our pride. However, tasteless tattooing is just not cool to me. Best Regards, Spank

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank all of you that served are serving yet! I can understand being proud of that.
I guess when I think of "other" tattoos I get this image of a fellow in about 20 years from now with a "born to ride" tattoo riding a Rascal in a nursing home. But.. I am guessing he would have a Harley decal on the back of it..........

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have 2. a wolf that now resembles an old bruise. and a large, open zipper on my upper right bicep. it shows a broken bone, severed arteries, some blood drops,a few worms, and an eyeball. why the moron chose to put the eyeball in there, i'll never know ! at any distance, the thing resembles a paramecium. most of the red has faded. for about 10 years this really looked nasty, but now has lost much of it's original "repulsive response" value.

Attachments

• tatt.jpg
    tatt.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
I say to each his own...Personally I am in awe of the talent some of the tattoo artists have.

I don't have any, because I always thought I was pretty enough! LOL

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk & others have touched on one of the main problems with tats- their impermanence. And the more detailed they are, the faster they'll deteriorate. when i was little my favorite uncle had the usual WWII Navy tattoo of an anchor and his ship's name. in his 40s it was still fairly clear, but by his late 70s it was an all but illegible greenish-gray splotch. and this was a simple, bold, monochrome sailor's tat.

the super-detailed, multi-colored jobs that have become all the rage (which i will readily concede show some serious talent) will age about as gracefully as milk. like fine gold inlaid bulino on a soldier's battle weapon...

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
My brother is working at a Stainless Steel plant. There is a lady in her late 40's whose husband recently died. Suddenly she is wearing some "sexy" revealing clothes again. They notice her tatoo on her breast and asked her about it. She proudly said she had the leopard tatooed when she turned 20. My brother was rather surprised because it looked more like a giraffe to him. :big grin: