Announcement: English fine scroll book and DVD updates

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, Please include me for two sets with castings.
Thanks, Glenn

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marcus,
I'm afraid there will not be sets for everybody ...and I want one of these if there is not too late ;)

Thank You
Jean

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, thanks for the interest guys. Pricing.....well I'm trying to keep it at a level where it won't break the bank but bear in mind this is a work book and dvd set. In other words, knowledge contained with it is designed to be used and this can be used commercially to make you money so I'm not going to give it away but neither am I going to be greedy as I want this knowledge to be used. I was talking with my father about it this weekend and we both agreed that the traditional English scroll engraving (the English way) is risking dying out through lack of instruction to new engravers. So I'm hoping that the book and dvd will help keep this tradition alive.

I have been busily editing the book from what it was. Originally my idea was to have a workbook with quite large print so it could be easily read standing on a work bench. However, this means more pages which = more weight. This isn't good for shipping so (and it's not finished yet remember) at the moment I'm just under 50 pages of A4 with a 10pt type face. I want to add a few more photos and am revising some of the sketch designs for suggested projects. So, the book I'm proposing is spiral bound (so it lies flat) with good quality paper (probably 130gsm) with a 250gsm cover and I'm looking at a clam cased DVD. I think a fair price for this is around £80 ($120) + shipping.

As for the castings, I've just bought a degassing chamber (and am waiting for the pump to arrive) as I want to produce decent, bubble free castings for you. I borrowed Harry Kell's sample and practice plates from my father and let me tell you, to the engraver these are GOLD!!! There is some simply stunning engraving. At first, to go with this kit, I'm proposing a set of 4 castings; that's 3x English fine scroll and 1x English large scroll. Because of the interest (and my time constraints) at first these will only be offered for sale to those who buy the book and DVD. In other words I won't (for the moment at least.) be selling them separately. The set I will price at $120 (£80) which equates to 30 bucks a casting but these are incredibly rare and by one of the London gun trade's most prolific engravers. In fact, with this set of castings I am seriously considering ONLY selling them with the kit.

Now, here's the interesting thing. There are many more plates with various styles. I plan on casting them in the future and offering them for sale. Many a modern day engraver would struggle to produce this quality considering the engraving was all hand pushed and had no modern advantages. There is one fantastic plate with a fabulous Victorian lion eating a stag. It really looks cartoon like but the cutting is fantastic and it really is of a totally different era.

I'm still waiting on GRS shipping the DVD masters to me and hopefully it won't be too long now. A little more patience please but I'm hoping that everything will be good to go by the end of July. Fingers Xed

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus

So your initial ballpark is $120 for the book+DVD and $120 for the castings set, correct?
I'll definitely be able to get the book & DVD, have to check my resources for the castings (they sound well worth it, but since now I work retail and only have a retail paycheck...)

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's right Steve. However, as I said, I am seriously considering only releasing the set of castings as an addition to the book and DVD. In other words you'll be able to purchase either 1) the book and DVD set or 2) the book, DVD and castings set. I'm sorry, but I have to keep this simple as I'm not a professional distributor. Payment will be via PayPal so you will be able to buy it on a credit card if you wish.

Also, going with advice from other senior members of the forum, I'm hoping this approach will help to discourage piracy. If someone has a pirate copy of the book and/or DVD they will not be able to get hold of this set of castings separately from me unless they also purchase the book and DVD.

But, as I say, I do intend releasing other castings from other plates but I seriously think I'll keep this initial set of castings exclusive to the kit.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Marcus-

Let me know if you have any questions about making the molds & castings. I used to do a lot of that stuff (and still have all the eqpt)...

best,
mitch

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus

That seems reasonable. I'll just have to see what my funding situation is like when everything's available.

I'm pretty sure everyone wants you to make enough money doing this to encourage you (and others) to do more things like this in the future.

On a general English Scroll note, I've mentioned before that I work at the gun counter of a Cabela's store. Recently I was looking at one of the older guns in our Gun Library that featured some nice English Scroll. I pointed out to our photographer how, if you looked very closely you could see both an occasional error and how they worked the correction into the overall pattern so nicely you do have to look very closely to see the problem. This wasn't a fancy older gun, just a 'regular' engraved version but even now, many years later that scrollwork still looks great.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, I want a set as well of course. I do have the set that Marcus is talking about done by Kell we were given it as part of the class when I took the GM from his father. They are great! I look at them often and they are not only a historical record but a great reference for learning.
I am so glad I took the course with Ken Hunt since it was the only time that will ever be possible. I learned a lot from him He is truly an innovator in this field. His techniques have opened the door to so much of the things that are being done today. Besides all that he is a great person always willing to share.

To all who received a critique from Marcus just listen and learn he is never malicious he is always trying to help . One of the few who will and has taken some licks because he couldn't be silent and let something go by that would otherwise cause others to do things improperly. So instead feel lucky that he takes his time to stop and help those who need it.

While I am on my soap box I should take the opportunity to say that an y of the masters that contribute should be applauded for there efforts. For those who are selling dvds and other materials . Please as Marcus stated no one is becoming wealthy from any of it. Sam's time Marcus , Ron Smith, Ray Cover, Lee Griffiths, Mike Dubber and anyone else I have forgotten to mention including myself who produce these videos and other training tools are made possible because the monies we receive from the sale off sets the time it take to do them. Instead of doing work to get our paycheck we are allowed time to spend that helps us all in the end. So as everyone has done and as you can see how many here are ready to support these efforts keep doing so. Thanks to everyone for your support.

Chris

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
I hope I am not too late! Please put me down for a set if there is any still available.
Thanks, Gail

Latest posts

Sponsors