cutting + hammering = sculpting I did on a Ti ring

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure I’m not the first one doing some sculpting on a Ti ring, as my son in law Jeroen already gave this a try some time ago.

Anyway, I think we both are the first ones ever who gave this a try on Titanium. And as I’m mainly working on Ti jewellery now a days to make a good living, I had to practice this particular style on Ti too.

Most of you probably know that all my engraving skills come from this forum, never took a class. Recently on another tread about deep relief sculpting, also Chris DeCamillis made a point when he said that before one is able working in 3D, you have to be able to shade 2D.
I think I’m ready for that now, so here is my first try on this. Sure I learned a lot from this and as always, next time I will do better, but sure that counts for all of us.

And yes, the background has some brass colour and I show the photos quite big although it is just about a ring that will fit a human finger, not for an elephant.

arnaud

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, just beautiful Arnaud, what size ( width) has the ring, about 8 mm??
Is it necessary to anneal Ti, it's so hard from itself.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Willem for looking, No you don't have to anneal the Ti as long as you know what you are doing, if you change your mind changing the level from on side to the other, yes then it is better to anneal.
Yes you have a good eye on proportion too, the ring is about 9 mm. It is man size 63 mm.

arnaud

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
I like the ring very much! The finishing is also very nicely done. :clapping:
A job well done.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
what a coincidence that you posted this when yesterday i was discussing doing something like this on a knife being sent to me tis week.

how much of a fight does it put up when doing the sculpting?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No fight hammering the Titanium, it just cuts and hammer like steel. But sure it depends on the alloy of the Ti that is used.
I use the grade 1 and grade 2

arnaud

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
not sure, but the sides of the knife were milled out of a solid piece of Ti.
it was just a thought of something fun to try, but wont kow for sure if itll be this project until i get it in hand. i do have some sheet i was going to practice with first.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes ask for a part of the sheet that was used. I'm quite sure it will work when it was milled out of a solid piece of Ti

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger for looking and liking this ring. sure it is 360° I only can show in a video I will try later today to add one.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh, I thought it was already a ring before you engraved it.
So it is possible to make this out of a piece of sheet and then bend it.
How will that be if you don't have the intention to sculp but do only an engraving.
Would it harm the engraving when you have to bend it that tight??
I just bought some rings for practicing, I also bought some sheet but it was scratched so I send it back.
How is your sheet when you order this from your supplyer, is it scratched to??
Is there a big difference in grade one and grade two??

Last edited:

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
This is very cool man!! Great job! In 2 months we start sculpting to at school. Alain Lovenberg his work is great to study sculpting!

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting this great piece! Beautiful workmanship! I enjoy seeing your work. As a beginner it's nice to see and learn form other peoples work.
Gary

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, I have ordered quite big sheets of Titanium in different thicknesses. They come well packed so almost no scratches. But it doesn’t matter that much if there are some, as they are just on the surface and not that deep. Most of the time I add some texture, so it doesn’t matter that much if there is a scratch.
I also order some Ti blank ring from the lathe, especially for those customers who want a higher profile. I can bend a 2 mm into a ring and weld it the way that it can be stretched up to 6 mm without the welding to break.
Sure I can engrave on a round surface like a ring, but sometimes I just engrave flat and bend and weld after that. It is no problem and the engraving just looks like it should be. I have a Super Ring Bending Tool from Pepe Tools for that, and sure that tool makes it much easier in any way. It took me several years trying to order one from and finally Chris DeCamillis ordered one and send it to me. I still own him some chickens for that.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors