Another design for my pocket knife.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Arnaud

Tough steel eh!!!! :)

Well, you do have to try these things as it's the only way to find out. Even if the thing you learn is to never do it again!!!

I'm pleased you are perservering with it as everything you do is just another lesson to learn. You will be an expert sharpener at the end of this exercise by the sounds of it!!

Have you tried a 115-120 graver?? You may find that it holds up a bit better and gives you cleaner cuts. Try making the face about 55 degrees as well. You may also want to try a Glensteel graver which is a bit softer that carbide etc.............perhaps shallower cuts would also be less hard on the graver tip.

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking great Arnaud!

Sure, there may be some things that you can see if you look close enough but this photo shows how it looks in real life and at a normal viewing distance it already looks great!

Looking forward to seeing it when you're done - just the mains that you've done so far shows how well this well-worked out design works with the knife.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
some progress

Well, I have been buzzy quite a lot cutting this design on my pocket knife.
If it wasn't that I wanted to finish this tread I started, and although I learned very much from it I would have given up cutting this one as the steel is to hard to cut properly in my opinion.

However, by trying to do the best I can, I learned a lot. And things can only become better after this one.

Here is some progress I made on the shading part. I use a carbide 120°. It didn't work for the main lines as the point breaks quite easy, but for the shading part at least I can cut two leaves without resharpening the graver.

I had to be very ZEN doing this, because no one besides me will be willing to pay for the ours I have spend on it.

I know this design like my own pocket :big grin:, so I will cut it again some time on a better material.
However, I hope you like it, sure I do and I already panic if I ever would lose my knife.

arnaud

I ad some detail picture, however at real size it looks better :big grin:

Attachments

• Shading progres01 copy.jpg
    Shading progres01 copy.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Knowing first hand how hard that steel is, I am amazed at how clean it looks. The hours of putting together that design look to have paid off. I imagine the background work was tough, but it looks great. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My pocketknife is back in my pocket

I have spend a lot of time doing this but most important I learned almost everything that is in my skills now, by this tread.

One of the most important lessons on this knife I learned, is that you may not give up.
Also the steel of this knife is very though and it almost made me give up, but it can only work better after this one.

Perhaps I could still spend some time on this knife, but I have to stop on it, up to the next project.

I have to thank you all who made it possible for me to come this far already.
This weekend on Sunday, I have spend some time with Christian DeCamillis, saw some engravings for the first time in real, and all this information it shacked my brains.

I already was convinced to have a 5 days course, and now even more. Of course this café helps a lot learning to engrave, but there is noting better than the real contact.

The shading was the hardest part for me, but not anymore. I don’t mean this knife could not have been shaded better, I know. It will stay the same fore some while that when working on a project, I know I can do it better when finished.

I own you all showing you my finished pocketknife, and I’m proud of it. :party:

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And you should be proud of it Arnaud - it came out very nice!

Let's see if I can get this work - I'm trying to include your very first sketch for this knife to show just how long the journey was:

Ha! Got it to work!

I always say that the comparison between 'canned' instruction (books, videos, forums, etc.) and live instruction is like someone telling you how good their steak is vs. giving you a bite.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Looks great

Hi Arnaud,

Well that is quite a thread and a great job on your knife.

Thanks for posting all the progress and thanks to Andrew and others that helped with the post of this great tutor from start to finish. It is a great study all around.

I do have a few Kershaw's but with the hardness it is making me think twice about starting on them.

Arnaud you really did a great job and persisted with all the trouble encountered.

Thanks for sharing this experence.:thumbs up:

AirAmp

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Arnaud!
That is really a beautiful knife and sure you are very proud of it.
I like the shading very much. It looks quite nice!
I only have one critique: I think that you have not spent a lot of time in this project... you have INVESTED a lot of time that is not the same at all. All this time will worth quite much form now to the future. Congrats!!
Leonardo.
PS. By the way... what about the other side?:big grin:

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've done a great job on this knife Arnaud, & grown a great deal through the progression of this thread with your layout & design. You cutting looks nice and it will only get better from here on. Keep up the good work.

Dwayne

Andrew Biggs

Hi Arnaud

Finally finished.............Well done!! It looks great and will be something that you can carry with pride. Plus it will be something that you can measure future work against. You've come a long way since your first posting on this thread.

Fantastic!!! :):):)

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for taking the time looking at the final result of my pocket knife although "the making of " was the most important of this tread.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one that learned from this tread. I even had no idea when starting it, that it would become so interesting and would help me making my first real steps on design and engraving.

So once again I have to thank you all, but in particular Andrew who really pushed me in the right direction with good advices and a lot of BUT's.............:)

I already started another knife that I can finish on my own as now practice is the key to let grow the skills.
Also I hope one day I can pay back what I learned in this Café by helping another newbie.

arnaud

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to see it. BTW, you may want to throw the letter "h". In the word "tread".

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At least being so hard it should keep the desighn from wearing out on all that loose change rattling around in your pockets.
This thread is a great resource. Very dense, and deep. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it

Latest posts

Sponsors