An email I received today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am have a bit of trouble with my old but reliable Gravermister. I have a deadline on a wonderful altered handle hand forged skinner. I mounted up on my Marrinan custom centering fixture. I sharped several gravers. I mounted one in the headpiece, layed the 915 on the vise and pressed the foot control. I waited and waited and waited-nothing happened. Anybody have a suggestion? Any help would be appreciated-I have a deadline as I mentioned. Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam A,

Why not change the Cafe logo to reflect the air tools as opposed to the push graver currently in use?
mike

The Cafe logo is very carefully crafted to give the false impression that its members are REAL engravers who sharpen by hand and and tap with hammer, not the fancy wannabe engravers we all are.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe he or she should be sent some information on CAD-CAM to truly understand not hand engraved. I sure wouldn't want to go back to the crude ways of the medical practice of the past. I also would not go back to hitting a bezel around a delicate stone with a hammer and setting chisel. I would consider myself a fool. I remember this I don't know from where but I took it as good advice. "A wise man changes his mind often a fool never does". If this is true Sam maybe the person that sent you the email could be considered a fool.

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
There has been some great discussion on this thread, But surly the passion to any artist is what they have created on their chosen canvas
not how they chose to create it

Being in Steel construction I truly admire the methods used in constructing the Empire Stare Building but to be honest not one of my clients
could afford me to build their project using them so I have to use up to date technology

Normally when I enter a thread It dies a sudden death
So I am in the process of design myself a tee shirt. I have the wording right but working on the placement style
The wording? ( THIS HUMAN HAS PERFECTED THE ART OF THE RECTUM ORIENTATED ATTITUDE )

Last edited:

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

Did he HAND write his email, or was it automatically generated form his “machineâ€￾?

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Late to this thread... When Tom Curran started teaching me, we worked only with h&c. He refused to let me anywhere near his air tools. Once I did start to use them, I understood why! And was grateful for the info in the manner presented.
I worked at a museum for a dz. years demoing hand tool joinery, and was often asked why I wasn't using traditional tools (Stanley planes have been around since the1860s) we obviously needed to define what time period they wanted to see...
And a wood lathe is a power-assist hand tool!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Did he HAND write his email, or was it automatically generated form his “machineâ€￾?

If he "hand wrote" his email it would be called "hand written". Since it was an email it was probably typed. Obviously hand written is done with the hand and pen. Much like hand and graver.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
As the photos I've posted clearly show, my Lindsay Palm Control did not come with any instructions for turning it on and letting it turn out masterpieces on it's own. I wonder if he left that part out? Or was I just supposed to know to get out of the way?

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
thughes,

I'd give it a pep talk, or a midnight stroll, show it the stars. Tell it one day it will travel and see the stars engrave all new metals where no man has engraved before. Or just let it watch Star Wars and do the old 'use the force' thing :handpiece:.

Bob

I must confess, my Palm Control is a little slow, it needs constant guidance. If I take my eyes off it for one second it's cutting things it shouldn't. At first I thought it would be alright, it was new and didn't know its way around a practice plate, but it has had time to adjust. The poor little fellow works really hard, I mean it really does, and I do love the little thing but how long am I going to have to hold its hand? I'm getting old perhaps I should have adopted, I hope I live long enough to teach it to get along on its own before I move on.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sooner or later these opinionated bloviations are like listening to a televangelist or Rush Limbaugh. They become redundant, tedious, and boring.

Still, initiating such a topic is a device often used by wise forum owners to generate traffic and suck the lurkers out of their dens; thereby making them active participants again.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Mike,

I wasn't kidding about wanting to see some of your work. I see on your profile that you are a blacksmith and bladesmith along with engraver. Seriously, we would love to see some of your engraved knives. Please post some photos. Do you work on any firearms up there in Alaska? Or are you like many of us frustrated with the FFA licensing BS?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After sitting on the tractor all day I would like to thank all of you for the entertainment that this forum provides. It makes the day go faster.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
And the beat goes on and on. The art of using pnumatic tools with which the hand is in control is still HAND ENGRAVING. I mean we don't use our ears, tounge, toenails, etc...We use our hands, and sometimes a good stiff Brandy when we can't find a machine to correct our problems....Oh yeah, we correct our mistakes by hand also. And we don't try and cut someone down just because that person happens to be an achieved artist and maybe better than we can' hope to be. This persons email as far as I am concerned is way off base and sounds just a tad jealous.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've exchanged a couple of emails with the guy and he seems to be a nice fellow who is concerned with people not learning traditional techniques. He wasn't starting a war, but of course I have to wonder why he would take time from his day to send me an email as he did. Anyway, it's no big deal and I hope to meet up with him later this year when I'm in the UK.

Life is interesting!

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
Its fun Sam...I've learned so much from you and this forum that I feel the unstoppable need to speak out against those that may try and cut our art down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors