Historical and Antique Engraving Tools - post your pics

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Beautiful old tools, Phil! I have some punches that look similar in shape but are smaller in size. They are beautifully tapered and very nicely made, and marked PARIS.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, the top one is a punch, then below that a polishing stone and the bottom two are chisels.

Interesting to see the reverse impressions of the medals etc;.

Phil

Last edited:

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
e20.jpg e21.jpg [HI, here is an old vise that has been in my shop for 40 years. I used it to hold small internal gun parts for tuning.I am sorry the nickel finish has suffered over the years but thats the condition it was in when I bought it for $75.00. As you can see the top rotates on a steel pin in a brass bushing, under the bottom of the pin is a small ball bearing that lifts the rotating jaws about .010 from the base so they don't rub against each other, it is as smooth as glass due to this bearing. It also has all of the original accessories. It is not in use at the moment, but will come out for a tuning job or whatever I can think of. I can not find a manufacturer but there is a patent date of 1902. If anyone knows who made it that would be of interest to me. So my first vise not originaly use for engraving but sure was a handy thing for small part work.

scott99

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Scott: That's a beauty, and I've never seen that accessory arrangement before. Wow!

Search Google Patents using the patent date and you should be able to find this vise. You may have to page through several pages but it should be in there.

Sam

Staff member
script_1.jpg

script_2.jpg

script_3.jpg

Sam,

Would it be possible to see a magnified view of the script lettering on the plate you put up? Brian

Here you go Brian. Could be a combination of etching and engraving. The bottoms of the cuts look rounded but there's also black paint in there to darken them.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

What is etched here?

These crisp close ups are so inspiring, and I encourage you to post more, even as much of the alphabet as possible. The style is all grace, flow, and precision, well worth study. A marked separation from wide to thin transition, the eye does the rest. Nice photography!

Rod

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Sam, they definitely look a little "off" to be hand engraved... maybe

Are you sure there is paint in these letters?

The normal oxidation over years may give a black color... and the etching process can also darken the metal - even after the acid is neutralized.

Montejano could probably tell better whether they look etched?

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

What is etched here?

These crisp close ups are so inspiring, and I encourage you to post more, even as much of the alphabet as possible. The style is all grace, flow, and precision, well worth study. A marked separation from wide to thin transition, the eye does the rest. Nice photography!

Rod

Hi Rod. If the Otto Young Co. produced many of these as samples for retailers it would make sense that they would be made similar to a plate for engraving stationery, which is chemical etching followed by graver cuts to true things up. Since the bottoms of the cuts appear rounded it makes me wonder if that wasn't the process. I'm not sure when stationery engraving went from 100% hand engraving to a combination of photo etching and hand engraving. I will post closeups of all the letters next week when I get home.

Brian: No, I'm not certain about there being paint in the letters. It could be ink or oxidation. Some of them are blacker than others. Obviously this plate's been cleaned a million times over the years so it could be polishing gunk build up. We could probably tell more if the plate was freshly done, but in this case it could be 80-100 years old.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my small collection of push gravers. And the oldest book I have on engravings.

Attachments

• IMG_20140220_170207_883-1.jpg
    IMG_20140220_170207_883-1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 540

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have an old book of monograms, I got it from a cliënt who had it from his father.
First print was in about 1913 but the cover of mine is no more the original, it's rebound but nevertheless I am very happy with it.
I did a Google search this week and found a picture of the original cover ( the picture below).
And I even found an adress were they sell old books and surprisingly they had one in stock.
I imediately wrote this to a good friend who purchased this book right away.
I think there might be more on the market, I searched for "Das Monogramm" and the name of the distributor " Verlag Carl Marfels"

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...olp_collectible?ie=UTF8&condition=collectible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 514
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 517
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 514
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 521
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I think it is roger. Copyright 1961 I believe. On inside of the jacket it has $21.00 lol. When I get home I will show pics of a couple more old books. This book and a few others were given to me.. and I couldn't be happier with them.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Roger , I looked when I got home. The copy I have of gun engraving review is the second printing. Printed in 61. Not one of the first 300. And the nimschke is a reprint. 1992- first was 1965. But I do have first printing of steel canvas. Not old but a really good book for any engraver to have. But I do have the first printing of your book american engravers. Assuming you had more than one printing of it. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20140221_185900_366-1.jpg
    IMG_20140221_185900_366-1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_20140221_185347_885-1.jpg
    IMG_20140221_185347_885-1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dental treadle drill.
I use a couple motor versions of this from emesco in place of a flex shaft. But this is a foot treadle one I came across. Sorry it's not set up in the picture.
What I didn't realize when I boaght it, is it is not a drill at all. It is a reciprocating chisel. Proto-power engraver.

Latest posts

Sponsors