where do scrolls come from

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

I appreciate this concise summary, thank you!

I believe Ken Hunt is mistaken about that quote "standing on the shoulders...." coming from Einstein. It was Issac Newton:

Quote:

The best-known use of this phrase was by Isaac Newton in a letter to his rival Robert Hooke, in 1676:

"What Descartes did was a good step. You have added much several ways, and especially in taking the colours of thin plates into philosophical consideration. If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

Newton was believed to have written it 'tongue in cheek', and feigning modesty. He detested Robert Hook, who was a somewhat difficult character. Newton was a nasty piece of goods in many ways, yet in other ways he was an incredible intellect, and could think outside of the box.

best

Rod

Andrew Biggs

Hi Martin........Those pictures look very familiar to me. It's an excellent manual and CD's. It was a pleasure to help out. :)

Hey Rod .............Now those photos bring back some fond memories!! I have to say the bench was looking very tidy back then. You should see it now!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, John B!

Another good overview.

I was hunting, unsuccessfuly, through my files for a picture I took of scroll carvings on the "Standing Stones of Clava" by the river Nairn, within walking distance of my Scottish workshop.

This burial mound is older than the Egyptian pyramids.

best

Rod

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, that look a fascinating culture of the Maori, I suppose you know some about it.
I is a bit weird that some cultures from all over the world have so much in common although there was only a contact in the early days of human kind.

I now understand also more why some of your designs have some Maori influence.
Thanks for showing

arnaud

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
A follow up to Barry Lee Hands history. A superb Italian ornament carver, Tranquillo Rovai, created this 6' tall drawing a few decades ago. It's in the Museo dei Bozzetti in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sorry I couldn't get a better photo (or pair of photos, my lens wasn't wide enough to shoot it all in one pix).
It shows the historic development of the acanthus- study it from bottom as the plant morphs from naturalistic through all the periods and styles.

Attachments

• acanthus-rovai.jpg
    acanthus-rovai.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I think you are correct about Newton, but the attribution to Einstein was mine, not Kens.
My mistake. . . .

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

Yes, Fractals ! What an incredible path of study.

(I hope we get a chance to pick a few more tunes together, before too long!)

Rod

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
John Cole, see what you started ? :) What a great question for speculation.
But see where an innocent question can lead on this wonderful resource?
You ask a simple question and start a landslide of interesting thoughts.
Keep it up and best of luck with you’re never ending study and journey into engraving.

Barry Lee, thank you for your wonderful insights my friend.
There are very few practitioners or aficionados of engraving that can equal your study and wealth of knowledge.

Andrew, where do you get the energy?
I see from Martin Strolz post that you helped him by proof reading his upcoming Grand Masters handout manual.
To borrow from Lee Griffiths in one of his posts “there must be something in the New Zealand skim milk.”
Your pictures of the Maori artwork add even more interest and speculation to the origin of scrolls and worldwide distribution.

Rod, my dear and learned friend. Thank you for your support, knowledge and humor.
The picture of the NZ baby fern was an incredible color and just right.
Seeing you and Andrew together on your visit there almost boggles the mind.
To speculate what pranks and fun you two characters created is almost beyond imagination.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John, two of my most enduring interests have been mythology and analytic psychology (read Jung). I see a lot of crossover in these two fields. I would say scrolls are an illustration of an archtype. Perhaps another way to say it is scrolls are in our DNA.

At one time a couple of decades ago a friend called my attention to raptors.
I had never noticed them before that. Once my attention was drawn to those birds I started noticing how prevalent they are. Now, I'm an avid birder and I see scrolls everywhere.
Kevin P.

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this wild scroll chase:)
Work has been a bit hectic lately, but that's a good thing. So I'm glad that these threads stay up for goodly lenght of time. It's going to take a little bit to try and absorb everything that's been posted, but I think that it will really help my engraving to understand why we use and do the things we do.
Again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to drop a line on this thread.

John C.