What am I doing wrong

Jeroen

For what it's worth: I started engraving with the GRS Microblock Ball Vise, and I often had the same problem. As Arnaud already said: Chris' gravers made a big difference on some metal.

But for engraving rather larger stuff (larger than the block or the vise), I only realised this was not my only problem, when I engraved on Arnauds GRS Positioning Vise.
There is the vibration so you have to fix your piece very well, as you already said, but the vise also makes a big difference: the microblock weights approximately 4.3500 lbs. (1.9731 kg), the Positioning vise weights approximately 40.4000 lbs. (18.3253 kg). And that’s a big difference that absorbs a lot of (even little) vibration, I believe.
I don’t know what vise you have, but I invested in this bigger one. It makes things a lot easier.

This is not an advertisement for the GRS Positioning Vise, it might be one for weight.

Jeroen

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew
Sorry for the late reply
Thanks for the link to the practice plates I will get on to that
What with the cows drying off and work needing to be done I haven't had much time on the computer to check forums
Cheers Graham

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any grade of Stainless Steel has a considerable amount of chromium (chrome---usually at least 10%) added for corrosion resistance.
The higher the chrome content, the less magnetic it is and therefore the harder is can be AND it will "stain less" than regular carbon steels. Stain-resistant steel is a better term that Stainless steel.
If you're not sure of the grade, placing a magnet on those pieces of SS and feeling the intensity of the magnetism can give you an idea of how tough it might be before you start.
For the gravers, a steeper face (55,60,65 deg.) will add strength as will a wider point geometry.
I never go wider than 180. LOL!
(I wonder who won't get that?)

Latest posts

Sponsors