vaquero

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
shawn
I would be careful with
I was in the dark...now I am in the shade...looking to step into the light
The light at the end of the tunnel thing It could be someone bugger with a torch bring you another gun to practice on :rolleyes:
Ray

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a little more progress:tiphat:

I am stuck on engraving the ejector sleeve or not engraving it.
what do you have to say?

Attachments

• DSCF4085.jpg
    DSCF4085.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF4082.jpg
    DSCF4082.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
X2 What Roger said....something simple to breakup the stark blankness (if thats a word :thinking: )

BUT if you left it clean I don't think anyone would fault you :cool:

Donny

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
This is coming together relay nice. I am with Roger also, engrave the ejector rod housing.

Peter

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi, Shawn. I'm coming to the party late, as my internet connection was haywire for the last week after I came home from vacation. Very nice work. You should not worry about engraving a gun "too soon". As to the reason for Ruger to make the loading gate so hard, they probably think that the camming surface at the bottom, where the spring rests, will wear too fast if it isn't hard, and it is easier (cheeper) to harden the whole part, rather than just the base portion. IMHO.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gorgeous work, Shawn! I love the band around the cylinder.

Roger, after you anneal it and engrave it, do you have to reharden it? Or is it left as is?

Thanks.
sd.

I, and everyone I know, feel it is unnecessary to reharden the gate. As I said above, the other makers do not overharden theirs. Even after you anneal a Ruger gate they are still very hard.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah it sure did help me out dave....that gate was very hard before. I am ready to be finished with this gun.
I have learned a lot while engraving it, and have some better design ideas for the next one.
finished the barrel...still lack a bunch of work:(

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How has the stainless been so far. I hear all these horror stories about Vaqueros yet I see quite a few nicely engraved examples here and there. Outside of the loading gate, I'm curious about the rest.

Sponsors