Announcement: US govt issued coins to to to residents in 251 tx counties

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
View attachment A11.pdf

I just bought two sealed bags 100 year old indian head 5 cents.

Dont know much, but there seling like pancakes so I said whaterver and bought two. Does anyone know what thier worth?

on for sale for 24 hours

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Pardon my skepticism, but it looks to me like nothing but a carefully worded and photographed ad to sells bags of coins. It says SPECIAL ADVERTISEMENT FEATURE at the top.
The fact that they're "sealed" doesn't mean much unless they're mint sealed, then you'd REALLY have something. But hey, a bag of Indian cents is a nice thing to have!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Was checking ebay any where from 75 cents to 519 thousand. Modern day treasure hunt. A nice way to spend the day with my girls, and an opportunity for them to learn a little history.

Carlos De La O III

leo

Elite Cafe Member
yes when u deal Indian coins you must look for a couple of different thing to see if you made good first dates the older the better where they where made they have a letter designation p for Philly and I think s for Texas and the date to be really visible and the word liberty that way when u make a hobo you would have collector line up MRthe can give u more info on that

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nowhere did I see the quantity contained in the "bags"....

It's a nickel bag. I'm sure all the addicts will rush to buy them. :biggrin:

I thought all the hullaballoo was about Indian Head Cents (pennies) and see they are just Buffalo nickels. Carefully worded to deceive thru assumption.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
DON'T DO IT! A full quarter pound of Indian head nickels is about 24 coins as they weigh 5 grams each. With no guarantee of quality, you are probably going to get no date, or partial date coins and maybe a couple of full date coins from the 30's. My local coin dealer sells no date coins at 15 cents each, partial date at 30 cents and full dates at 75 cents each. Even very fine to extremely fine can be bought in quantity for around 2-3 dollars each. If you want to have fun with the kids and Indian head nickels, find a local dealer and buy a bunch of no date nickels and a bottle of date restorer. My son and I do this when the weather gets cold and we both enjoy watching the dates reappear.

Joe Paonessa, certified coin geek

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry, 24 hours ago I was in my blanket fort coloring, waiting for the rain to stop. If there is any way you can return them, do it. That type of ad is placed in papers around the country, they just change the county names and make it look like it is an exclusive deal. If you can return them and still want to try playing with nickels, I can get them from my dealer and send some to you at cost. The date restorer is actually Ferric Chloride, the same stuff they sell at Radio Shack for etching copper circuit boards. As to using them for carving hobos, personally I use higher grade coins as they make the finished product look nicer.

Joe Paonessa

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
OK, I just re-read the ad and it says you can return unopened bags within 10 days of receipt,. but you will lose the shipping costs.

Joe

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can bet these "sealed" bags have been thoroughly searched and picked clean of anything of value before being offered for sale. I'll be surprised if there are many (any?) readable date coins in the bunch. I hope I'm wrong and it's a nice bunch of buffalo nickels worthy of carving or collecting. The company selling them certainly doesn't get any favorable reviews that I've been able to find.

mrthe

Mr. The thanks

When are you releasing your DVD?

Carlos De La O III
Carlos i'm working on it,i had some problem with the ntsc codification,but Sam give great ad advices (thank you another time Sam) and i hope have it ready soon as i can,i'm out of my home now i'm for a pair of weeks in italy,i hope have it ready for the end of this month.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not necessarily Sam. I Have a foot locker full of wheat pennies, I am not going to search them. Same is true of 500 troy oz of mercury dimes and ten 50 cal. boxes of old Jefferson nickel's silver quarters and pre 64 half dollars. Fred.

Latest posts

Sponsors