Update: Some more fun with Ti [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I promised, here are some more that are part of a collection earrings. I showed already one pair I made.
My daughter Lola likes the flair cut a lot, as it is something she can cut nicely without using a scope. Just an optiviser x2.5.
So this is not my work, just part of the teaching for my two students.

Lola did these 3 pairs and I’m sure she did a great job and most important, exploring new things in a creative way.

arnaud

This pair I did to inspire my daughter Lola

[URL="http://www.juwelenarnaud.be/clipart/earringLola02.jpg"]

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now you have figured out a way to have something to use for a teaching tool and create $$$$$$ for the shop!!! Great little line of jewelery with Arnaud written all over them!!!!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting effects you are achieving with the anodizing! What kind of solution are you using? Sulphuric acid?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, you got me on the $$$$, thanks for liking them

Bert, I tried different solutions before ordering 6 litre of a recommended one. I don't know exactly what it is as the label doesn't say, here is the bottle.

James, that what you call a rope border is indeed done by welding using a PUK

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for this information Arnaud, working with this solution does it give constantly the same colour at the same voltage?
I am asking this because I use at the moment Ammonium Sulphate and I don't get the green colours at the high voltage, I also tryed baking soda.
Both do the job but I imagine with irregular result.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, the liquid recommended by the anodizer devise and used in the USA, can't be imported as far as I know in Europe. This is what I found and was advised by a college of mine who has more experience whit colouring than I did when I first started anodizing. I also used Cola light, turbo gel from Sun that is used for dishwasher machine and so on. The cola light works great too, but it mold (schimmelen)
Colouring Ti isn't an exact science and will surprise from time to time. All depends how the surface is treated, what kind of Ti and so on.
Quite important is degreasing well enough and after it was in the UltraSonic and rinsed in water, you better not dry it. Just leave it in the water until anodizing without drying it first.
And remember, you will not see the colour like it is until you dried it. So make small steps, dry to see the colour, back into the UltraSon, rinse and anodize a bit more.

I made test sheets with different volts (step + 5 volt) next to each other, and it gives an idea where the different colours are, but that doesn't mean you will have that same colour every time.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, to reach GREEN, it is a quite small volt range you have, and RED is almost impossible but close to the green. IN general the higher volts are more difficult.
Even anodizing nice "appelblauwzeegroen" turquoise is hard to catch.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Arnaud for this information and especally for the colour scale, this is a nice help.

@Brian, if you pass the colour you can strip it easely in Fluorwaterstof (Dutch name ) the chemical formula is HF, within seconds you get back the gray titanium clour.
Sorry I can't find the Englisch page for this.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterstoffluoride

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, the colour won't wear of, especially because they are earrings. Even on a ring it will last long. The only thing that happens is that some skin fat will make the colours a less intensive, but if you use some soap and water they will be intense as new.
But that is the same for high polished silver or gold, the fat will hide the glossy.
In fact, the colour is not paint, just Oxidized Ti that breaks the light, and Titanium Oxide is even harder than Titanium itself.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam, if you are too busy with recording video's, not finding the time to make some yourself for Abigail, you might order a pair of these. They may arrive in time for Valentine. :)

Here is another pair,

arnaud

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Arno,

Of course this is beautiful. i was thinking that adding a few stones of color and or diamond would bring these to another level and price point for customers. Try adding some stones and then send a pair to me and I will have my wife test them out for you. :biggrin:

Another thing that might look good would be to make pendant with the persons initials cut with the flair cut in script.

I think you have started a new trend don't be surprised if yolu start seeing these in jewelers magazines.

Chris

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
My friend, the late John Flynn - was doing work in titanium and niobium for ten or twelve years when he came to me to learn hand engraving.

While he never used "our" styles of scrollwork, he did native Hawaiian flowers and beach scenes with water & trees - using anodizing to get similar effects.

I think you can still see some of his work online. http://www.kahiko.com/jfjewelry.htm

I don't think his widow has taken the website down yet.

He would have loved to have seen Arnauds' work... he just died last year.

Brian

Latest posts

Sponsors