Some more fun with Ti [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To be honest, it is Jeroen my son in law who showed a pair of these and I thought I use the idea as well. But instead of colouring using a flame, I coloured these in two steps. Also my daughter Lola is working on a collection of these sort of coloured earrings.

The Ti sheet I used is less than 0.5 mm thick. I pierces two similar shapes, put them on wooden block doing some flair cutting.
After that I filed the engraving with nail polish and after it dried, used sandpaper to remove the nail polish from the surface leaving the cuts filled.
Then I coloured the bleu at something of 23 volt, removed the nail polish using acetone and coloured the brass at something like 9 volt. As you lower the volt, it doesn’t affect the higher volt colours.

After bending them I used the PUK to do the borders. Drilled a hole and formed some Ti wire to complete these.

Next time I probably will cut both at the same time, reflected on of course. It is probably faster and less complicated to cut them also mirrored at the same time.

I also have to tell you that I recently bought me a Softbox and tripod to do the photography. That after reading Sam’s article for the FEGA magazine on these kind of photography.
So now I have a studio area in my shop to do the photos. So thanks again for the article Sam.

Thanks for watching, arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd, In my tread and title I write "Ti" that means Titanium. Sure you can't colour brass this way.

Seems you only look at the images without reading. :biggrin:

arnaud

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sorry Arnaud. You said you "colored the brass at something like 9 volt" , so I was confused.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
arnaud: i must say of all the earrings i've seen posted, these surely are the prettiest ever !

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Monk, I will show other ones using the same techniques once they are finisched. Different shapes and colours. looks to me arnaud you have "set the bar" on earrings. that's great, as your work surely inspires others to increase their skill levels.

arnaud

Last edited by a moderator:

bthomas

Very nice end product and creative sequence to achieve various effects (2 distinct colors and the edge treatment makes it complete) . It is generous of you to describe how you achieved the colors.

I think you could have kept a lot of us guessing for a long time. I never have gotten to the solution having no understanding whatsoever the many tricks you conjure up with your PUK welder.

Bill

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, it is by sharing some know how that we all can progress, if we have to invent the wheel every time by ourself, non of us would be able to create high level art.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
an update

As I promised, here are some more that are part of a collection earrings.
My daughter Lola likes the flair cut a lot, as it is something she can cut nicely without using a scope. Just an optiviser x2.5.
So this is not my work, just part of the teaching for my two students.

Lola did these 3 pairs and I’m sure she did a great job and most important, exploring new things in a creative way.

arnaud

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors