Titanium Buckle project [photos]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes I know, I have to work on my pistol project too, and in the mean while I have to make jewellery too.
My to do list is that long, I probably need more lives than just one.

Anyway, I thought I show you some progress on a Titanium Buckle I’m working on in between all other jobs. At the moment I’m removing the background,

Thanks for looking, arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The last two days I made some progress on this project. If I'm right, all negative space is removed. Now it is time stippling it.

to be continued :biggrin:

arnaud

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I like this design very much Arnaud, the buckle is going to be stunning.
What do you use to remove the background on titanium, if you don't mind me asking?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Willem Sam Forge and Jared.

To remove the background on Ti I use Edenta Carbide burs. The smallest ones are 0.2 mm and I used them for the smaller areas. And as being a goldsmith I do not use a micromotor but a hanging one with flexible shaft and handpiece. My best handpiece is the Swiss one “Badecoâ€￾ that because of its precision.

The centre of course asks for Bulino. Could also be a monogram perhaps. But as it will take a lot of time to finish this one, it will be too expensive finding a customer real soon.
So I will finish it and wear it myself, as that way I have the most chance to find a customer who wants a similar one.
I will do a Bulino portrait of my own dog Rufus (Belgium Shepard) on this one.

So my conclusion on this one I had to do, is that if someone wants to sell these kind of work, he needs to make one, selling probably a different design that takes less time. Everyone will want one, until they find out about the price.

But my idea about high class buckle and belt is that even if you could afford one, you have problems finding one.

For the Bulino of my dog, I will have to wait to see if his ears will stand up at the age of 1 year old, because till now he has flap ears. :biggrin:

arnaud

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
It will be a beautiful belt buckle. But for how long? I don't know about yours, but my personal belt buckles get rough use around motorcycles, horses, fences, chainsaws, ladders, etc. I don't believe bulino would hold up over time. A sculpted dog might fare better. Or a heavy monogram.

I made some finely-shaded nickle-silver belt buckles for the grandchildren, and their mother hung them on the wall in frames. Maybe when the boys are older they will get to wear them.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Mike, indeed I don't know how long a Bulino would hold on Ti, I don't use motorcycles chainsaws and ladders any more, besides my job I only walk the dogs.
So perhaps for me time to find out how long a Bulino will hold, and I always can sculpt it. On the other hand, I'm more experienced with sculpting than Bulino. :confused:

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finished stippling the background using my Enset. I'm very pleased with the uniform result.
In the past it took me much more time and never succeeded stippling uniform the way it looks nice from all point of views.
I didn't use paint for the photo, just like it is.
So now comes the next pleasant part, shading. I will use a C-max for that purpose.

The size of the buckle is 80mm x 57mm

arnaud

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even unshaded that looks great Arnaud!

The symmetry is quite pleasing and whatever you wind up putting in the center will benefit from the way you've got the scrollwork focusing the attention to the center.

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Most beautiful. I can only hope that my talent will someday be within what yours was years ago. Very inspriring for new engravers such as myself.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I still have to shade the front side but I finally finished the components on the back by welding them.
I also will need a nice belt for the buckle or finding someone who can attach a nice one would be even better.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors