Tip: Working with a cold ball vice

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
It's funny this thread was started... for the last couple weeks I've been turning my ancient ball vice upside down on my jewelers bench and heating the 'ball' with an oxy-propane torch for a couple minutes.

It's a big heat sink and even when using an intense flame... it takes a couple minutes to get it even 'warm'. The moisture rolls off in big drops as the flame hits it... I'm not sure if this is wise, but I don't see why not as my vice is ancient and all the chrome plating has nearly peeled off.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
If it gets that cold upstairs sounds like the place to live if you are going to do dot or stippled background just do it in the morning go up and what till hypothermia starts and point the graver at your work :rolleyes:

Ray

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Ummmm no cold balls here:cool: In phoenix that is !!!!:happyvise: It was 86 yesterday!!!

21 year old daughter was just getting squaked at by my wife for turning the AC on!! no more than 20minutes ago :shock: seriously!

Donny

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
It's funny this thread was started... for the last couple weeks I've been turning my ancient ball vice upside down on my jewelers bench and heating the 'ball' with an oxy-propane torch for a couple minutes.

It's a big heat sink and even when using an intense flame... it takes a couple minutes to get it even 'warm'. The moisture rolls off in big drops as the flame hits it... I'm not sure if this is wise, but I don't see why not as my vice is ancient and all the chrome plating has nearly peeled off.

Welcome back! We've (I've) missed your participation! Will

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Programable "I" heater set to come on about four hours before I go out to the shop works for me, and the heat gun for the old vise, or like me it doesn't move so well anymore on cold mornings.

Latest posts

Sponsors